ADVERTISEMENT

Learn how Coach Odom turned around UNLV by putting together a plan to win

lynaskin

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Mar 10, 2005
Louisiana
www.raxxar.com
Learn how @Coach_Odom turned around @unlvfootball by putting together a plan to win ⤵️

He had the safety net of time … but thankfully he didn’t have that mindset. The “slow build” mentality of hoops coaches when it is MUCH easier to flip the script in basketball is nauseating to me. Then take a quarter pay your first couple of years if you’re going to half ass it and ask for severely lowered expectations from the fanbase. And then there’s no guarantee of the slow build actually working by the time you get to the end of the contract and it amounts to something close to theft.

He had the safety net of time … but thankfully he didn’t have that mindset. The “slow build” mentality of hoops coaches when it is MUCH easier to flip the script in basketball is nauseating to me. Then take a quarter pay your first couple of years if you’re going to half ass it and ask for severely lowered expectations from the fanbase. And then there’s no guarantee of the slow build actually working by the time you get to the end of the contract and it amounts to something close to theft.
per Marcus Arroyo.

per Marcus Arroyo.
Marcus biggest fault was his arrogance. The smartest of us all will eventually be bested. I hope Marcus Arroyo get a chance at somewhere else and work his way up. Tony Sanchez is coaching the New Mexico State this year, I have no doubt he will be successful. Tony is smart, he knows team is cumulative of people helping you.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Well said on the bball side…

Marcus biggest fault was his arrogance. The smartest of us all will eventually be bested. I hope Marcus Arroyo get a chance at somewhere else and work his way up. Tony Sanchez is coaching the New Mexico State this year, I have no doubt he will be successful. Tony is smart, he knows team is cumulative of people helping you.
CMA never had the committment to UNLV that CTS did. Will definitely be keeping an eye on those Aggies and pulling for Tony.

Reactions: Takethat702
and NMSU is basically a small step up from Gorman, with worse facilities.. lol.

and NMSU is basically a small step up from Gorman, with worse facilities.. lol.
Tony is one of a small number of Division 1 head football coaches in the US. It is quite an achievement and should be respected not downplayed. While I do not know him personally, it is a testament to his character that he overcame a past setback to reach this point.

I wasnt mocking the fact that he is a D1 HC. I was making a point that NMSU isnt that much "bigger" than where he had success at Gorman so its not far fetched to state he can have success there.
Honestly though, I dont care or follow to much on where or what former UNLV coaches are doing after theyre done here. Odom has them to thank for being the driving force behind building better starting blocks but otherwise, I dont really pay to much attention to what/where former coaches go and do, other than TJO because I hate ISU.

I wasnt mocking the fact that he is a D1 HC. I was making a point that NMSU isnt that much "bigger" than where he had success at Gorman so its not far fetched to state he can have success there.
Honestly though, I dont care or follow to much on where or what former UNLV coaches are doing after theyre done here. Odom has them to thank for being the driving force behind building better starting blocks but otherwise, I dont really pay to much attention to what/where former coaches go and do, other than TJO because I hate ISU.
Coach Tony Sanchez was a nice guy. He told me “we didn’t have the money to compete” back then. And we certainly don’t have it now under new NIL rules.

His problem was that he stuck with Armani Rodgers for too long.

Tony Sanchez is coaching the New Mexico State this year, I have no doubt he will be successful. Tony is smart, he knows team is cumulative of people helping you.
I had no idea (or had forgot) he was named their HC. He is the first former UNLV HC to get another D1A HC position since Ron Meyer left for SMU in 1976.

Some coaches retired from Football like Jim Strong and JRob, other like Nunnley, Horton, Sanford had nice runs as assistant coaches after they got fired at UNLV, Hauck went back to Montana after a few years at SDSU. Arroyo I know is at ASU this year, but no one other than Sanchez was given a HC job.

I had no idea (or had forgot) he was named their HC. He is the first former UNLV HC to get another D1A HC position since Ron Meyer left for SMU in 1976.

Some coaches retired from Football like Jim Strong and JRob, other like Nunnley, Horton, Sanford had nice runs as assistant coaches after they got fired at UNLV, Hauck went back to Montana after a few years at SDSU. Arroyo I know is at ASU this year, but no one other than Sanchez was given a HC job.
Robinson is was a consultant at L$U.

Tony is one of a small number of Division 1 head football coaches in the US. It is quite an achievement and should be respected not downplayed. While I do not know him personally, it is a testament to his character that he overcame a past setback to reach this point.
Bro, he went to PowerYoga on Sahara/Rampart.

Dude was awesome!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT