ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas -12.5

Hard to say with all the player jostling. If this were week 6, I'd take the points and the over in a heartbeat.

I didn't realize this initially, but KU has faced a 3-3-5 six times so far this season. So what we run defensively, in terms of the look, won't be any surprise at all.
But they haven’t seen a 3-3-5 like ours. We have a wrinkle of almost never getting pressure on the QB and then leaving 2 guys open all the time.

Kansas probably hasn’t seen that look out of the 3-3-5

But they haven’t seen a 3-3-5 like ours. We have a wrinkle of almost never getting pressure on the QB and then leaving 2 guys open all the time.

Kansas probably hasn’t seen that look out of the 3-3-5
The QB thinking during the play - “No way both receivers are open. Let me look around more since this has to be a disguise.”

Yells to coach - “Are there really two guys open?”

Coach - “Yes. Throw it to either any minute now.”

So Im not sure entirely which teams ran the 3-3-5 vs KU, but I do know ISU had success limiting KU- held them to 28 points. Cincy plays a interesting formation of a modified 4--2-5 that's really similar to the 3-3-5 look and I believe UCF runs a 3-3-5 and both got toasted by KU. Itll be important to see what wrinkles our staff puts in that is different from the others.
That said, Id take the over all day in this game.. I see a potential shoot out happening- I mean KU's bowl last year was like 50-52 or something crazy like that. Both offenses are prolific at WR and RB with QBs that have their own individual strengths that will test each defenses weakness. Bean may absolutely roast us with his legs, but on the flip side, Maiava should be able to hit open receivers and our RBS should have lots of room to run. Just stay away from Bryant and we should be fine offensively

Kansas will be without their top OL and EDGE guys for this game.

Austin Booker has been rumored to be a candidate to enter the NFL Draft for a while. The redshirt sophomore transferred from Minnesota over the offseason and was the best edge rusher on the team. He recorded 56 total tackles and led the team with eight sacks, securing All-Big 12 First Team honors.”

“Puni established himself as one of the best players at his position in 2023, earning All-Big 12 First Team honors and an invite to the Senior Bowl. The redshirt senior was also selected as a finalist for the Polynesian Player of the Yearaward in college football. Unfortunately, it seems that he has played his final game at KU.

“According to Bryson Stricker of Bleacher Report, the star O-lineman has opted out of the Guaranteed Rate Bowl, which the Jayhawks are scheduled to play in on Dec. 26 against the UNLV Rebels. Puni will look toward the Senior Bowl and his NFL career.“

Kansas will be without their top OL and EDGE guys for this game.

Austin Booker has been rumored to be a candidate to enter the NFL Draft for a while. The redshirt sophomore transferred from Minnesota over the offseason and was the best edge rusher on the team. He recorded 56 total tackles and led the team with eight sacks, securing All-Big 12 First Team honors.”

“Puni established himself as one of the best players at his position in 2023, earning All-Big 12 First Team honors and an invite to the Senior Bowl. The redshirt senior was also selected as a finalist for the Polynesian Player of the Yearaward in college football. Unfortunately, it seems that he has played his final game at KU.

“According to Bryson Stricker of Bleacher Report, the star O-lineman has opted out of the Guaranteed Rate Bowl, which the Jayhawks are scheduled to play in on Dec. 26 against the UNLV Rebels. Puni will look toward the Senior Bowl and his NFL career.“
Can you guys imagine Larry Johnson, Cunningham, Jordan, Enter Name here, ever pulling this sh*t before a post season game back in the day? Why the F*** do I even support this sh*t?

I'm not comparing these guys to the greats, but this is what it has come down to. And I think the Pros suck. This is so much worse.

So Im not sure entirely which teams ran the 3-3-5 vs KU, but I do know ISU had success limiting KU- held them to 28 points. Cincy plays a interesting formation of a modified 4--2-5 that's really similar to the 3-3-5 look and I believe UCF runs a 3-3-5 and both got toasted by KU. Itll be important to see what wrinkles our staff puts in that is different from the others.
That said, Id take the over all day in this game.. I see a potential shoot out happening- I mean KU's bowl last year was like 50-52 or something crazy like that. Both offenses are prolific at WR and RB with QBs that have their own individual strengths that will test each defenses weakness. Bean may absolutely roast us with his legs, but on the flip side, Maiava should be able to hit open receivers and our RBS should have lots of room to run. Just stay away from Bryant and we should be fine offensively

Good point about the 4-2-5 look. We run a lot of 3-3-5, even ran some 3-2-6 looks vs CSU but Odom does throw the occasional even front out there as well.

To be honest the 3-3-5/nickle type packages are becoming much more widely used because of all the spread offenses out there.

Can you guys imagine Larry Johnson, Cunningham, Jordan, Enter Name here, ever pulling this sh*t before a post season game back in the day? Why the F*** do I even support this sh*t?

I'm not comparing these guys to the greats, but this is what it has come down to. And I think the Pros suck. This is so much worse.

Here's my view on dudes pulling out of bowl games.

I get it. Why get hurt in a meaningless bowl game and risk millions at the NFL level.

On the flipside that bowl game isn't meaningless to some of the guys on the team that are never going to the NFL or its the last football game they may ever play.

If you're a stud running back do you owe the dudes that paved the way for you anything?

If your a stud DT and the guy next to you was good enough teams couldn't double team you but he isn't quite NFL talent, do you owe that guy anything?

I don't know....I see both side of it...

I get it. Why get hurt in a meaningless bowl game and risk millions at the NFL level.

On the flipside that bowl game isn't meaningless to some of the guys on the team that are never going to the NFL or its the last football game they may ever play.

If you're a stud running back do you owe the dudes that paved the way for you anything?

If your a stud DT and the guy next to you was good enough teams couldn't double team you but he isn't quite NFL talent, do you owe that guy anything?

I struggle with this. But yeah I get it. I guess. Remember some years ago some great NFL prospect suffered what I think was basically a career ending injury in a bowl game. Cannot remember who.

It's a tough one. But I think I would lean towards the attitude that anyone can get injured at any time, and the reason you are a prospect is because this team gave you that opportunity.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I struggle with this. But yeah I get it. I guess. Remember some years ago some great NFL prospect suffered what I think was basically a career ending injury in a bowl game. Cannot remember who.

It's a tough one. But I think I would lean towards the attitude that anyone can get injured at any time, and the reason you are a prospect is because this team gave you that opportunity.

Definitely a tough call. I see both sides of it.

I guess it goes to me always rolling my eyes when a dude says these are my brothers I go to war with them, we're a family (or any other hyperbole) and then bowl season hits and he's like Peace Out Boys! NFL is calling..

If you’re getting paid NiL, you should be required to play the bowl IF you’re not injured. Its a job at that point. To the other guys not getting NiL, I get it. I disagree with it, but I get it.

Willis McGhee... Not career ending, but went from top 5 pick to projected 3rd rounder before Buffalo took him in first as a surprise...
More recently, JK Dobbins also got hurt in a bowl game

It isn't just the NIL, it is also the scholarship and everything else that comes with that. If a player makes an agreement with a school that includes a scholarship, they should be required to play out the entire season (through the final game of the year), if they don't, then they can come up with the money to pay for their schooling. They want to be treated as employees, and when you sign a contract that includes benefits, you need to fulfill your side of the agreement or give back what those benefits cost.

Willis McGhee... Not career ending, but went from top 5 pick to projected 3rd rounder before Buffalo took him in first as a surprise...
More recently, JK Dobbins also got hurt in a bowl game
I sat at the 30 yards line and in the front row at Outback Bowl where Javideon Clowney played for South Carolina. That one famous hit he deliver against the opposing player still echos in my ear. The "Boom" was so loud. It was right in front of me. Clowney knew he was a top pick but still plays at full speed in a bowl game.

If players do not say the whole season and opt out, theres issues. Thats fine. How come there isnt as much shit given to the coaches? They tend to leave whenever they want to and it seems like they are not given enough heat for it.
Both sides need to adhere to the same standard. Absolutely.
I would impose a none competitive clause or restrictive covenant into that contract: Once a Coach terminated or resign he cannot "bring" any player or players committed to or played at their previous school within a 5 years period.

Last edited:
I would impose a none competitive clause or restrictive covenant into that contract: Once a Coach terminated or resign he cannot "bring" any player or players from their previous school to their new destination within a 5 years period.
A man with some sense!

I would impose a none competitive clause or restrictive covenant into that contract: Once a Coach terminated or resign he cannot "bring" any player or players committed to or played at their previous school within a 5 years period.
That would trigger lawsuits by players saying it penalized them. It happens in the real world to.. often a Principal gets hired away to run another company and they bring jr staff with them for higher paying jobs trying to pick and choose the best to get. It sucks, but that's the nature of knowing what you got in a free market. The whole interviewing of coaches and hiring coordinators away while still in season is something I'd like to see changed, but it'll never happen till universally all make that stand

That would trigger lawsuits by players saying it penalized them. It happens in the real world to.. often a Principal gets hired away to run another company and they bring jr staff with them for higher paying jobs trying to pick and choose the best to get. It sucks, but that's the nature of knowing what you got in a free market. The whole interviewing of coaches and hiring coordinators away while still in season is something I'd like to see changed, but it'll never happen till universally all make that stand
You worded in a way in a non-competitive or restrictive covenant. They can try to sue but it would not work. If the non competitive covenant is signed by both the coaches and players then no one can violate it. This will work if both parties signed in a sound minds and fully understood the details. Fully comprehensible language of the contract.

I am not a lawyer, though. If Reagan or any attorney can chime in...

If you’re getting paid NiL, you should be required to play the bowl IF you’re not injured. Its a job at that point. To the other guys not getting NiL, I get it. I disagree with it, but I get it.
Need a clause in the NIL that you have to play the complete post season or the $$ goes back. Not a perfect solution because the player could just DOG it, but they most likely want to impress the pro's so it should work.

Need a clause in the NIL that you have to play the complete post season or the $$ goes back. Not a perfect solution because the player could just DOG it, but they most likely want to impress the pro's so it should work.
I have finally understood you comments about DJJ in the Tark board after watching the Hofstra game highlights. The discrepancies between DJJ and his supporting cast is very visible.

NIL isn't a "pay for play" formula. These athletes are are selling their Name, Image, and Likeness and thus getting compensated. To say a player should tie their NIL pay to playing post season is absurd. It's not what it's about.

NIL isn't a "pay for play" formula. These athletes are are selling their Name, Image, and Likeness and thus getting compensated. To say a player should tie their NIL pay to playing post season is absurd. It's not what it's about.
Below is a copy of the NIL law for Nevada. Where does it say an Athlete cannot enter a contract that stipulates he forfeits his Name, Image and Likeness payments if he fails to play all the games the team plays in a season?

Below is a copy of the NIL law for Nevada. Where does it say an Athlete cannot enter a contract that stipulates he forfeits his Name, Image and Likeness payments if he fails to play all the games the team plays in a season?

Good luck with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT