ADVERTISEMENT

Johnny Stanton Nebraska QB to transfer

I see good upgrades coming to the O line. I think it would be great if we could "unofficially" get the local commitments in with a Belton workout.

I am happy with the Stanton signing but I too think the o line needs more improvement/upgrade/depth. I'd also like an upgrade at T/E. Someone who can pass block, run block and catch . Need a real multi dimensional type that way people cant key off of which T/E is in as to what we are running. Speaking of running I think we have a few gems at RB so it goes back to the Oline. Just a few thoughts on that side of the ball.

No mention of WR's cause they performed all year minus a few drops.

I am happy with the Stanton signing but I too think the o line needs more improvement/upgrade/depth. I'd also like an upgrade at T/E. Someone who can pass block, run block and catch . Need a real multi dimensional type that way people cant key off of which T/E is in as to what we are running. Speaking of running I think we have a few gems at RB so it goes back to the Oline. Just a few thoughts on that side of the ball.

Didn't we just get a TE committ along with Stanton? Tim Holt 3-star TE chose UNLV over Iowa State.

O-line was actually better this year than last year. We rushed for more yards per game this year, and I would have to double check but I believe we gave up fewer sacks. In fact we went two weeks without giving up a sack at point. The one place the Oline did struggle was in short yardage situations. This isn't to say we don't need an upgrade at one or two spots, but overall the offensive line play was better this year. Offensive points per game were up this year as well.

Offensive line was supposed to be a huge question mark this season. I thought overall they played pretty well and exceeded expectations.

I think the Oline will be even better this year with another off season under strength coach Belton.

I agree we need a little help, but we are closer to having a solid unit than some might think.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
O-line was actually better this year than last year. We rushed for more yards per game this year, and I would have to double check but I believe we gave up fewer sacks. In fact we went two weeks without giving up a sack at point. The one place the Oline did struggle was in short yardage situations. This isn't to say we don't need an upgrade at one or two spots, but overall the offensive line play was better this year. Offensive points per game were up this year as well.

Offensive line was supposed to be a huge question mark this season. I thought overall they played pretty well and exceeded expectations.

I think the Oline will be even better this year with another off season under strength coach Belton.

I agree we need a little help, but we are closer to having a solid unit than some might think.
I'm just thinking to take advantage of a talent like Stanton, to take the next step, to get to 7 plus wins. The line did get better the won 3 almost 5 games i just think its time we are in the convo for top mw teams. yes i know need to take it a step at a time. i just think they can and will get even better than whats going on.

I don't know about Holt as a T/E. 3 stars? ok just we need a severe upgrade not just a small one. time to get some difference makers.

I'm just thinking to take advantage of a talent like Stanton, to take the next step, to get to 7 plus wins. The line did get better the won 3 almost 5 games i just think its time we are in the convo for top mw teams. yes i know need to take it a step at a time. i just think they can and will get even better than whats going on.

I don't know about Holt as a T/E. 3 stars? ok just we need a severe upgrade not just a small one. time to get some difference makers.
I agree. Obviously we need some improvement on both sides of the ball. But defense is where the bigger gaps are. Have to be able to start holding teams under 30 on a regular basis. Pass rushers at DE and LB were/are probably the biggest needs on the team after QB.

I agree. Obviously we need some improvement on both sides of the ball. But defense is where the bigger gaps are. Have to be able to start holding teams under 30 on a regular basis. Pass rushers at DE and LB were/are probably the biggest needs on the team after QB.
i agree d needs more. i think in my original post i said this side of the ball.. .

I think you will be pretty happy with Garrison as the OL coach, seems pretty solid and was a decent up-and-comer recruiter at Nebraska. Also. he and The Stache have worked well together. Unfortunately for JG he was in a horrible dysfunctional place at the end in Huskerland.

There have been several former coaches from the last staff that have taken very unprofessional pot shots at the program but I don't recall anything but professionalism from Cotton (who did a fantastic job as the interim HC for the bowl game), Garrison and Ron Brown.

I think you will be pretty happy with Garrison as the OL coach, seems pretty solid and was a decent up-and-comer recruiter at Nebraska. Also. he and The Stache have worked well together. Unfortunately for JG he was in a horrible dysfunctional place at the end in Huskerland.

There have been several former coaches from the last staff that have taken very unprofessional pot shots at the program but I don't recall anything but professionalism from Cotton (who did a fantastic job as the interim HC for the bowl game), Garrison and Ron Brown.
Considering OLine was our 2nd biggest question mark heading into the season, I was really impressed with the job both Garrison and Cotton did. Our OLine was undersized and lost a couple pieces heading into this year. There were some bumps but rushing yards were way up and sacks were down a bit.

Cotton did a really good job dealing with a tough situation at QB. Our starter Decker was seemingly questionable every week. Barney had to work around that all season long. Even with those issues points per game were up this year over last.

I expect another small jump in the win column this year, anywhere from 5-7 wins.

O-line was actually better this year than last year. We rushed for more yards per game this year, and I would have to double check but I believe we gave up fewer sacks....
Yup!
2014 = 38 sacks allowed for 247 yards
2015 = 33 sacks allowed for 157 yards

That's pretty significant in light of the fact that there were so many more plays in 2015 and it becomes even more significant when the schedules are compared. The defenses in 2015 were far superior, particularly in sacks, than the defenses the Rebs played in 2014. Then look at the places where they played like the Big House where they only gave up 2 sacks against a front 7 loaded with NFL talent. The improvement was big and it should only get better.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Yup!

That's pretty significant in light of the fact that there were so many more plays in 2015 and it becomes even more significant when the schedules are compared. The defenses in 2015 were far superior, particularly in sacks, than the defenses the Rebs played in 2014. Then look at the places where they played like the Big House where they only gave up 2 sacks against a front 7 loaded with NFL talent. The improvement was big and it should only get better.
Also having to deal with two different styles of QB. Decker got rid of the ball quicker with his progressions. Palandech despite his mobility actually got sacked at a higher rate per pass attempt. He seemed slower in his progressions.

Last edited:
Yup!

We were the last team to have scored on Michigan for about 3-4 weeks. That's props right there.

To give our D-Line some credit we stopped them in the redzone on 3rd and 4th and goal. Our defense did this, not some other school's. That made me a believer.

The difference between 2014 o line and 2015 is huge considering 2014 was much larger in terms of weight. If only we had a healthy Scoggins and Boyko this year. In terms of talent and ability I feel like 2014 was a much stronger squad. 2015 squad proves that technique is more effective long term. Now imagine if we had technique, talent, size, and ability.

Yup!

2014 the team played 13 games while this year it was just 12.
In 2015 that team average 2.7 sacks per game while it was 2.9 in 2014 which isn't very significant.
This season the team faced 6 teams out of 12 that finished with 6 wins or less with four winning 3 games or less
In 2014 they played 4 teams out of 13 that finished with 6 wins or less with two winning 3 games or less.
Really, they were two completely different seasons and schedules. I see the positives from this season but there is a lot of work to be had replacing Gstrein and Noone. Quality depth on the offensive line next season is a huge question mark so they will need the newcomers to play significantly right away.
Stanton is a big and physical quarterback that likes to run the ball but he also struggled to rise up the depth chart at Nebraska. He enter a tough situation with limited experienced receiving options returning. The good thing is that he can handle a pounding but I would like to see the quarterback run as a last option to keep them healthy. I love the way he slings the ball but he may struggle in year one with such a young group of players playing a lot of downs.

In 2015 that team average 2.7 sacks per game while it was 2.9 in 2014 which isn't very significant.
This season the team faced 6 teams out of 12 that finished with 6 wins or less with four winning 3 games or less
In 2014 they played 4 teams out of 13 that finished with 6 wins or less with two winning 3 games or less.
Really, they were two completely different seasons and schedules. I see the positives from this season but there is a lot of work to be had replacing Gstrein and Noone. Quality depth on the offensive line next season is a huge question mark so they will need the newcomers to play significantly right away.
Stanton is a big and physical quarterback that likes to run the ball but he also struggled to rise up the depth chart at Nebraska. He enter a tough situation with limited experienced receiving options returning. The good thing is that he can handle a pounding but I would like to see the quarterback run as a last option to keep them healthy. I love the way he slings the ball but he may struggle in year one with such a young group of players playing a lot of downs.
Will we also rushed for over a yard more per carry this season. Which is a very significant number. They had to deal with Palandech behind center who was sacked nearly as many times as Decker in almost 60 less pass attempts. If Decker had been healthy the whole year the sack totals would have been down even further.

We have Polu, plus Neale and Jacobsen returning. Neale and Jacobsen both got valuable playing time this year. Young guys have to eventually play. There is always turnover. And not to discredit Noone and Grstrein but are they a bigger loss than the guys we lost last year including Boyko?

We also return Kreitler who was very good this year. If I am not mistaken he graded out as one of the top guys on our offensive line.A guy you were not particularly high on before the season.

I also have to disagree about entering a tough situation in regards to wide receivers.The depth may not be there, but Boyd is a top receiver in the conference. Keyes got better as season wore on, and Andrew Price is a viable weapon from the TE spot. Yes we lost Williams and Criswell and yes they were both experienced but neither was particularly consistent or very productive. Criswell finished with 22 receptions on the year. Williams 12. That does not look to be overly difficult production to fill. I get what you are saying about experienced depth there, but in terms of production, I think we can get those numbers with Pressley and a couple JC guys.

I can almost bet there will be another JC WR added and another JC Oline guy if not 2 before the recruiting is done. That should address the depth issues.

Ahh good one bull, I completely forgot about Polu. I think he'll be a good gap creator. The kid is huge. Caldwell and Garcia have some pretty big cleats to fill with Grstein and Noone gone. To be honest, the line doesn't have to be great, they just have to keep Johnny off his 6. We're entering into another situation where we have questions at our backup quarterback. I think the off season will help Palandech, but I still wouldn't lean on him for starting. Hoping we can get Rogers.

Also having to deal with two different styles of QB. Decker got rid of the ball quicker with his progressions. Palandech despite his mobility actually got sacked at a higher rate per pass attempt. He seemed slower in his progressions.
Massively slower.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
We were the last team to have scored on Michigan for about 3-4 weeks. That's props right there.

To give our D-Line some credit we stopped them in the redzone on 3rd and 4th and goal. Our defense did this, not some other school's. That made me a believer.
Indeed. It demonstrated the desire that we've been missing on the turf.

Ahh good one bull, I completely forgot about Polu. I think he'll be a good gap creator. The kid is huge. Caldwell and Garcia have some pretty big cleats to fill with Grstein and Noone gone. To be honest, the line doesn't have to be great, they just have to keep Johnny off his 6. We're entering into another situation where we have questions at our backup quarterback. I think the off season will help Palandech, but I still wouldn't lean on him for starting. Hoping we can get Rogers.
If we get Rogers, unless he absolutely lights it up in fall camp, he will redshirt.

The back up job will be between Palandech and Sneed. Palandech has the edge having gotten significant reps last year. I would still like to see him involved in some red zone packages running the zone read. No denying the kid has wheels. Sneed will have to really outperform Palandech to take the 2 spot.

In 2014 they played 4 teams out of 13 that finished with 6 wins or less with two winning 3 games or less.....
Last season they didn't play against one of the best defenses in the nation in The Big House. Last season they didn't play against UCLA's defense that looked like a home game for UCLA.
Last season they didn't play N. Illinois in their crib
Last season they didn't play Boise State's defense
That's one third of their schedule this season. As I wrote before, that's why the improvement is so significant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT