ADVERTISEMENT

Johnny Johnson

He may or may not come to UNLV. Oregon is a so called big time school (recently they are bottom of the barrel in the pac12); we do not know what his major is and what his reasons are for picking UNLV; we do not know if he wants to be closer to home to play in front of his family; coach Sanchez was able to get Armani to come to UNLV instead of Cal. We will need to just wait and see, maybe he will still come to UNLV, or maybe he will go to many of the other programs that are likely to make offers.

He may or may not come to UNLV. Oregon is a so called big time school (recently they are bottom of the barrel in the pac12); we do not know what his major is and what his reasons are for picking UNLV; we do not know if he wants to be closer to home to play in front of his family; coach Sanchez was able to get Armani to come to UNLV instead of Cal. We will need to just wait and see, maybe he will still come to UNLV, or maybe he will go to many of the other programs that are likely to make offers.
Armani Rogers will leave if he's not the starter next year. It's obvious why he came here. He wants an easy path to the NFL.

If Armani is even close to as good as he is ranked, he most likely will quickly become the starter, if not, he wouldn't find any major school in a rush to recruit him at that point.

Maybe not. For some schools, players want to play for the school regardless of who the coach is. Oregon may be in that category.

Apparently Phil Knight has pledged 10 million per for the next head coach. Meaning they can pay (may not get) any college or NFL coach in America. Oregon will be just fine once Helfrich is gone. He is in way over his head. Rumor has it that Phil wants Chip Kelly to come back.

Reactions: RebboBiscuit
The point is the next coach will assemble his own staff and target his own recruits. The same may be applicable to University of Arizona with Rich Rod. Several locals have committed there as well.

That may be a big reason why UNLV has recently made offers to several players that have already provided a verbal to UofA

I would think Chip being welcomed back will work out for a pro and college fan base. he has a case of the Helfrich''s in the NFL, that is for damn sure.

Its not always about head coaches either, sometimes Coordinators leaving/fired has a lot to do with it.

With the Facility coming this staff has a little more ammo when they are out there, until kids sign in Feb its open season. Just how it works.

Its not always about head coaches either, sometimes Coordinators leaving/fired has a lot to do with it.

With the Facility coming this staff has a little more ammo when they are out there, until kids sign in Feb its open season. Just how it works.
With the facility, we should recruit better than at least half of the teams in the conference. If we ever get an on campus stadium, we should be up there with Boise State in recruiting.

Educated opinion. Why would somebody like Armani Rogers come to UNLV when he had better offers if it weren't for playing time?
This is the type of attitude that has created the vicious cycle of losing UNLV has experienced for 30 years.

Maybe he wants honor his commitment because he has integrity. Maybe because he respects and wants to actually play for the coaching staff that recruited him. There are plenty of reasons why he would attend UNLV.

I respect you opinion but you you seem to be ever cynical about UNLV. It's easy to understand why you take this position considering the past coaching staffs.

I'm going to be optimistic about impact CTS and staff has on recruits. CTS is a stand up guy, a players coach. I'd want to play for him and I can understand how he is going to get some great recruits and finally turn the tanker in the right direction.

Armani will play. Johnny Johnson will play.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Are you actually surprised someone is cynical about unlv football?
Wake up and take those rose tinted glasses off. It's a f'ing mess out there.

Reactions: mwsn7022012
Educated opinion. Why would somebody like Armani Rogers come to UNLV when he had better offers if it weren't for playing time?

You saw Armani Rogers play or practice how many times in person?

You are incorrect on why he came here.

Spoke to a couple of former & current players, he is here to compete for a starting job. Does not expect to have it handed to him.

Transfer would force him to sit another year, so how would that help with immediate playing time, unless he dropped down a level?

Last edited:
You saw Armani Rogers play or practice how many times in person?

You are incorrect on why he came here.

Spoke to a couple of former & current players, he is here to compete for a starting job. Does not expect to have it handed to him.

Transfer would force him to sit another year, so how would that help with immediate playing time, unless he dropped down a level?
If true, then he's an exception. It's always a red flag to me when a nationally ranked player picks a non-P5 school.

I don't think there is a single Sanchez recruit on the team that expects to be handed time. He was pretty blunt with the team at the end of last year, said to the effect: we had a great year, its up to you guys to get bigger, stronger, faster, and its our jobs to replace you all.

Its like with Laolagi, he was honest with him when he first found him under a rock when he told him, we like you, you're going to be great some day. But right now I don't have a scholarship for you. He didn't bs him and tried to encourage him to walk on. Laolagi did get luck that Nela decided he wanted to go to Fresno.

If true, then he's an exception. It's always a red flag to me when a nationally ranked player picks a non-P5 school.

I saw him in the fall. He definitely looks the part in drills. Good arm, pretty accurate, size & atheticism. In 11v11 scrimmages he was way behind the other QBs in understanding the offense. (Totally understandable as a true freshman)

He received a number of high profile offers. It does make the him choosing us seem odd.

I think you are right in one sense, potential for playing probably was part of his decision. There were some other things that factored in as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT