ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson State first game of 2016

Catmstr

All American
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2010
Rebels will open up the season against Jackson State. Both teams finished with 3 wins last season.

Much better non-conference schedule for 2016 which is great. 2015 was going to start 0-3 by pretty much everyone's projections. 2016 should be 3-1 at best or 2-2 at worst. UCLA will be the loss.
Jackson St. was 3-8 overall, 3-6 in their conference play, and 1-4 on the road with their win at Miss. Valley State (1-10) for the year. Idaho was 4-8 overall, 3-6 in their conference play, and 1-5 on the road. We should win those two games at home. The most competitive non-conference matchup is at Central Michigan. They were 7-5 overall, 6-2 in their conference play, and 4-2 at home. Johnny Stanton should make a big difference in that game.

I am glad UNLV has a much more realistic non-conference schedule which should set up a bowl game for 2016. Go Rebels

Much better non-conference schedule for 2016 which is great. 2015 was going to start 0-3 by pretty much everyone's projections. 2016 should be 3-1 at best or 2-2 at worst. UCLA will be the loss.
Jackson St. was 3-8 overall, 3-6 in their conference play, and 1-4 on the road with their win at Miss. Valley State (1-10) for the year. Idaho was 4-8 overall, 3-6 in their conference play, and 1-5 on the road. We should win those two games at home. The most competitive non-conference matchup is at Central Michigan. They were 7-5 overall, 6-2 in their conference play, and 4-2 at home. Johnny Stanton should make a big difference in that game.

I am glad UNLV has a much more realistic non-conference schedule which should set up a bowl game for 2016. Go Rebels

Add in home games vs Wyoming, Reno and Fresno. Obviously nothing is a given, but all three should be viewed a 'winnable' games especially at home.

In case anyone else was wondering the complete schedule order:

9/3: Jacksonville State
9/10: @ UCLA
9/17: @ Central Michigan
9/24: Idaho
:: Conference Play ::

3-1 would be a huge start. 2-2 is acceptable. 1-3 and I'll have serious concerns about whether 2016-17 is the year we start seeing results.

In case anyone else was wondering the complete schedule order:

9/3: Jacksonville State
9/10: @ UCLA
9/17: @ Central Michigan
9/24: Idaho
:: Conference Play ::

3-1 would be a huge start. 2-2 is acceptable. 1-3 and I'll have serious concerns about whether 2016-17 is the year we start seeing results.
I think the Central Michigan game is the 50/50 game.

Reactions: RebelBuzz
I wouldn't agree that going 3-1 is a huge start. Two games should be easy wins, one game is going to be close, and the UCLA game we will be a big underdog. I would say that 3-1 would be nice but not huge, 4-0 would be huge. The UCLA game will require that whoever is the QB has a huge game.

UNLV could go anywhere from 3-9 to 9-3 or even better depending on the QB play. If Decker had stayed health this season, I think UNLV would have finished either 6-6 or 7-5

@Bullmastiff 1 Absolutely. Losing either of the home games would be a big let down.

We should compete with Central Michigan and have a chance to win that game. Might get smoked by UCLA, and that would be just fine.

@Rebel1986 You're right. There wouldn't be anything particularly impressive with winning all 3 of those games... But to have 3 wins on the year with 8 games remaining puts you in a great position to get 6+ wins, which would be huge for this program.

RebelBuzz - I agree with that point of view regarding the overall season. In my heart I want a harder schedule for UNLV, but in my brain, I know this schedule is much more likely going to help UNLV to a winning record.

I was looking at the recruiting average Rivals rankings, and an average star ranking of 2.41 would be the highest shown for any year since 2001. Nothing before 2001 is shown. This could also be the most 3* players UNLV has been able to recruit in any of these seasons. Would be nice to finish off the recruiting with a couple more 3* and at least 1 4* player.

Depending on the recruits that UNLV picks up, they could finish ranked anywhere from about 5th to 3rd in the conference for recruiting. This most likely will keep UNLV in from of the Community College of Northern NEVADA..

I wouldn't agree that going 3-1 is a huge start. Two games should be easy wins, one game is going to be close, and the UCLA game we will be a big underdog. I would say that 3-1 would be nice but not huge, 4-0 would be huge. The UCLA game will require that whoever is the QB has a huge game.

UNLV could go anywhere from 3-9 to 9-3 or even better depending on the QB play. If Decker had stayed health this season, I think UNLV would have finished either 6-6 or 7-5
I get what you are saying, but considering our history, especially recent history under Hauck, a 3-1 start to any schedule is huge for us. Obviously it doesn't announce us as a contender in the MWC. What it would say is we are beating teams we should, ( Jackson State) beating teams probably on par with us in terms of overall talent (Idaho) and a team that has been to recent bowl games and might be a little better than us in terms of talent (Central Michigan). Now we may be better than Idaho now but over the last 5 years you could say very similar programs.

3-1 sets us up nice heading into conference play. It isn't huge in terms of who we beat but where it could potentially lead us to the rest of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT