ADVERTISEMENT

Offer It's 3* Friday! New offer for Akil Jones

I still find it amazing that with Bishop Jones, Chauntez Thomas, Kameron Toomer, Richard Nelson and Gage Motl among an impressive class of linebackers but the program is still primarily focused on none local players to fill a need position.
Each of those players are equal to better overall athletes. If they had California listed behind their names, they would be highly rated similar to Scott Starr, now Scott Felix, at USC. Instant 5 star at Norco but he wouldn't have been more than a 2 star had he stayed at Desert Oasis.
Guys like Ronnie Paulo, Adam Seward, Nate Carter, Beau Orth and Tim Hasson have been impact player for the program at the position. It baffles me that this program spends so much money on out of area prospects that they have similar to better athletes that they can target within 20 miles of the school.

I still find it amazing that with Bishop Jones, Chauntez Thomas, Kameron Toomer, Richard Nelson and Gage Motl among an impressive class of linebackers but the program is still primarily focused on none local players to fill a need position.
Each of those players are equal to better overall athletes. If they had California listed behind their names, they would be highly rated similar to Scott Starr, now Scott Felix, at USC. Instant 5 star at Norco but he wouldn't have been more than a 2 star had he stayed at Desert Oasis.
Guys like Ronnie Paulo, Adam Seward, Nate Carter, Beau Orth and Tim Hasson have been impact player for the program at the position. It baffles me that this program spends so much money on out of area prospects that they have similar to better athletes that they can target within 20 miles of the school.

Will - it seems like you would know, but are you 100% those locals have not been looked at by this staff? I actually agree with some of what you say. I know some local players could really make a great impact and might be under the radar, but I have a good feeling the staff is not blind to these guys either. I'm REALLY keeping my fingers crossed for the offers we already have out on locals. I’ll be the first rooting for any locals that don’t end up at another university and hopefully choose to walk-on and show toe to toe what they can do.

Looks like UNLV is on Chauntez and Kameron.

Sanchez' opening statement in the newest UNLV football video is "We're going to recruit this community". Is he referring to fans or athletes. I thinks athletes but maybe he means fans or both.

Maybe you should tweet your recommendations to Sanchez. You obviously are tied into the high school football scene (NV Prep Report) and evaluation is your job.

I would think that Sanchez is hitting the locals hard but trying to establish recruiting nationally as well as exploit existing strong recruiting ties with his current staff. It would be stupid to not exploit already existing recruiting relationships. Seems like a hard balance to achieve.

Interesting post on confidential post on how Sanchez is getting some buzz going on national level.

Reactions: RebelSaint702
Will-

You went through this same spill during the last recruiting period. It is a numbers game they can hand out 1 million offers it doesn't matter. They have shown interest in two of the players you mentioned. Just because they haven't offered doesn't mean they won't offer. Why not wait until next year when the recruiting is wrapped up before giving yourself a coronary.

Will you have a lot of great knowledge on the local kids, but you present facts like the North Korean News Network.

While you may be right saying the local kids are better athletes, Akil Jones already has four offers and interest from three Pac-12 schools.
One of the teams that has offered Utah State has been very good on defense for a number of years now and seem to have a good record of finding defensive talent. If they are offering this kid then he must have something going for him. I think it unfair that you dismiss anybody not from Vegas. You said Bishop Jones, Cameron Toomer were better athletes yet they ran the same 40 time as Akil Jones. Richard Nelson ran a 4.73 and weighed in at only 193lbs 20lbs less than what Akil Jones is listed, Motl ran a 4.89 40. So of all the players you listed as being superior athletes only Thomas really fits that based on size/speed ratio.

I just watched this kids HUDL tape and he looks plenty athletic in my eyes.

Again this isn't to put down the local kids in anyway. I am hoping coach Sanchez is able to lock up as many of the top locals as possible. If all things are equal, I hope he always offers the local kid. But if there is any difference between the players I want the better player regardless of where he lives.

Would it be such a bad thing if during this recruiting period they were able to sign both Akil Jones AND one of the Vegas kids?

I agree with you that Sanchez needs to recruit locally. I just don't agree that the answers to fixing UNLV football are ONLY going to be found in our own backyard.

The local guys aren't among kids the team is actively recruiting.
I'm not saying they shouldn't offer Jones, I'm just surprised by the lack of active offers at the local level as well.

Last edited:
The local guys aren't among kids the team is actively recruiting.
I'm not saying they shouldn't offer Jones, I'm just surprised by the lack of active offers at the local level as well.

Its early in the process, and quite possible they are getting as many out of town offers/visits out of the way as possible before the season starts. Once fall camp starts out of town visits will be impossible. It will be much easier to visit the local kids or have them come in for 'unofficial' visits during the season.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT