ADVERTISEMENT

I'm stealing this idea from Sonny44

bcvegaspt

Bench warmer
Staff
Feb 26, 2005
Twelfth seat if I'm lucky
Any artists on the board how would you refresh the image of Hey Reb!? Do you keep the mustache? Change the hat?

I'm not looking for this thread to become a debate about keeping "Rebels", "Hey Reb!", "UNLV", etc. I'm genuinely interested in any ideas some may have for a 2016 version of our mascot. I'm giving @Sonny44 credit since his posts did give me this idea.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
If he ends up being changed, I'd prefer a new graphic artistic representation not necessarily a completely new 'rebel'.

I personally like the association with the mustache and its iconic representation of the brand (as a standalone symbol). So I'd vote to keep it.

But if Rebel is still a pioneer-explorer-trailblazer, what are identifiable elements associated with this character? Or maybe we should throw out new ideas of what a rebel character should be modeled after (jokes aside)?

Reactions: Sam-I-am
I imagine a large mustached, muscle bound brute wearing a stetson cap bayoneting a couple of wolves with the caption, "Try harder, you want to KILL THEM."

If not with a rifle, then with a yucca.

Also, I do not think it would be so far fetched for a rebel to have a pet wolf on a leash

It might be best if Pres. Jessup appointed a committee that could be chaired by a faculty member in the marketing dept. or the art dept., with interested faculty, perhaps one or two alums, and of course students, some of whom should be in the marketing, art, etc., depts. With all the publicity talent in LV, given the Strip, etc., there should be no shortage of ideas for an updated Hey Reb! image. Maybe even a campus-wide contest for a winning design.

Any artists on the board how would you refresh the image of Hey Reb!? Do you keep the mustache? Change the hat?

I'm not looking for this thread to become a debate about keeping "Rebels", "Hey Reb!", "UNLV", etc. I'm genuinely interested in any ideas some may have for a 2016 version of our mascot. I'm giving @Sonny44 credit since his posts did give me this idea.
One could do a great deal to separate Hey Reb from the image of the confederacy by simply reversing the color scheme, i.e.,
1] Make the hat red.
2] Make the band on the hat grey
3] Now make the mustache grey
4] Never use grey as the major color of the uniform
5] Add a good tan to Reb's face [frontiersmen didn't have sun block].

Now look at the result. The mustache pops out more. The main color is always red, which is how our uniforms are and always should be. There is nothing even resembling a Confederate uniform. Reb's complexion isn't pasty white like some Confederate ideal.

One could do a great deal to separate Hey Reb from the image of the confederacy by simply reversing the color scheme, i.e.,
1] Make the hat red.
2] Make the band on the hat grey
3] Now make the mustache grey
4] Never use grey as the major color of the uniform
5] Add a good tan to Reb's face [frontiersmen didn't have sun block].

Now look at the result. The mustache pops out more. The main color is always red, which is how our uniforms are and always should be. There is nothing even resembling a Confederate uniform. Reb's complexion isn't pasty white like some Confederate ideal.
I don't care one way or the other about if an article of clothing is this color or that but our skin tone suggestion is a good one. Even in old cowboy movies the hero/villain isn't pale.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT