ADVERTISEMENT

IF REMAINING MWC TEAMS WERE SMART

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
They would discuss voting to dissolve the conference. There are technically only 7 teams as it stands with Hawaii being football only.

Here's why I think it would be smart for all parties involved. (And if there are holes in my theory feel free to tell me I'm an idiot).

Every team in the MWC should be looking for a new landing spot now.

There is no way the next media deal for the current MWC will match the last one with what was lost. There are no viable schools to poach to replace what was lost. The one school in the most trouble is UH.

So.

To avoid paying exit fees vote to dissolve the conference.

Here's where my theory probably hits some snags but...

Most if not all the schools could find a soft landing in CUSA. Assuming they want to expand. I believe CUSA would absolutely take UNM, UTAH STATE, WYOMING and RENO. I also think they would consider Hawaii football only. SJSU would be a solid addition getting them into the California market.

If they took 5 they get to 14. The biggest road block for Hawaii is travel cost. Not for them but the teams already in CUSA. They aren't exactly big money schools. This is why I think UH could be in a lot of trouble.

AFA would go to the AAC. I don't think there would be any hurdles here.

That leaves UNLV.

I don't believe the Regents will ultimately end up being anything more than a hurdle/minor annoyance with the whole Reno/UNLV tied at the hip nonsense.

The question then becomes does the PAC actually want UNLV?

I mean there's so many reasons to think they would. But it is possible they don't.

I'm going out on a limb that they would take UNLV. (I also believe Utah State might be a team they would consider oddly enough).

I also don't believe since they are football only Hawaii gets a vote.

Agree? Disagree?

The conference has to dissolve for any of that to happen. Yet, as I'm reading various articles around the West some think that the MWC may try to merge with CUSA. I about shat myself on reading that. An Albuquerque news site went to the Lobo athletic department and was fishing for clues. They actually wrote that someone there thought it would be an idea for them to join NM State there. I'm sure that person is going to get fired real soon. (Again these are just articles so take them with a grain of salt. People like throw out their ideas and hope they stick).

There is also talk about the Montana and Dakota schools joining.

The remaining 8 MWC schools are out of their minds if they go along with that. The best thing for all of us is just to vote for the dissolution and let everyone fend for themselves. I do believe that Hawaii still gets a vote even if they are just football.

If the PAC reconsiders us then we go with that. But, if they don't then our best option is go with AF to the American Athletic Conference. Perhaps Wyoming or New Mexico can go with us. That would help some of our travel costs and NM would bring their good basketball to the mix.

One way or the other we need to get out ASAP and by that I mean we give notice and depart in 2026 if the AAC gives us that invite. The MWC is dead and none of the options I've read about are going to help.

Last edited:
The conference has to dissolve for any of that to happen. Yet, as I'm reading various articles around the West some think that the MWC may try to merge with CUSA. I about shat myself on reading that. An Albuquerque news site went to the Lobo athletic department and was fishing for clues. They actually wrote that someone there thought it would be an idea for them to join NM State there. I'm sure that person is going to get fired real soon. (Again these are just articles so take them with a grain of salt. People like throw out their ideas and hope they stick).

There is also talk about the Montana and Dakota schools joining.

The remaining 8 MWC schools are out of their minds if they go along with that. The best thing for all of us is just to vote for the dissolution and let everyone fend for themselves. I do believe that Hawaii still gets a vote even if they are just football.

If the PAC reconsiders us then we go with that. But, if they don't then our best option is go with AF to the American Athletic Conference. Perhaps Wyoming or New Mexico can go with us. That would help some of our travel costs and NM would bring their good basketball to the mix.

One way or the other we need to get out ASAP and by that I mean we give notice and depart in 2026 if the AAC gives us that invite. The MWC is dead and none of the options I've read about are going to help.
Why would the programs that have nowhere to go agree to dissolve the conference? If the conference was disolved, would they still be able to get any of the cash for the 4 teams leaving?

Reactions: dcut03
Why would the programs that have nowhere to go agree to dissolve the conference? If the conference was disolved, would they still be able to get any of the cash for the 4 teams leaving?
We dissolve the conference in 2026 so we all get to keep some of that money. Schools will find a home someplace. If Gloria is thinking to bring in FCS teams or merge with CUSA that would be horrible for us. Either way if we dissolve and get to keep some money or just leave the conference for AAC with AF and pay our exit fee we will be better off. Staying with a sinking ship is just crazy.

Obviously I don't know what the **** is going to happen but I'd like to see us have a plan rather than just sitting around waiting for the building to fall on our heads.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1

I just laid out where the remaining teams might have a landing spot. CUSA would be viable.

Hawaii has not no vote I don't think.

Other schools could find landing spots I believe.

We don't know if UNLV has a landing spot.

That's why I said every single one of them need to be on the phone looking and then if they find one vote to dissolve this conference.

Again it might be semantics but we are only 7 schools because Hawaii is football only.

You could make an educated guess AFA will be looking hard at AAC. (With Army/Navy)

So now down to technically 6, because Hawaii is football only.

Last edited:
By dissolving it may wave the exit fees for the PAC detectors. The PAC defectors from last year tired to play that card but couldnt because the PAC 2 were keeping the conference alive.
Which many of these teams will not be able to afford. They are about to take a massive payout for most of these schools.

By dissolving it may wave the exit fees for the PAC detectors. The PAC defectors from last year tired to play that card but couldnt because the PAC 2 were keeping the conference alive.
Which many of these teams will not be able to afford. They are about to take a massive payout for most of these schools.

Here's the thing.

Hawaii doesn't get a vote.
AFA has a landing spot in AAC. I know it's an assumption but you have to imagine they would take them.

So they would likely vote yes.

Would the other schools?

Only if they could find a home.

I would not be surprised at all if we don't get some more big news in the next two weeks.

Worst thing any of these schools can do is sit around and wait for MWC commissioner to create a plan to save the conference.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
They should have done that to begin with they have 4 add two more schools and they had the 6 to dissolve so they would rather pay $110MM than add us and AF?

They should have done that to begin with they have 4 add two more schools and they had the 6 to dissolve so they would rather pay $110MM than add us and AF?

I think if they would have out right poached 5 that would be the case. But that's not what they did.

MWC is technically still intact.

We dissolve the conference in 2026 so we all get to keep some of that money. Schools will find a home someplace. If Gloria is thinking to bring in FCS teams or merge with CUSA that would be horrible for us. Either way if we dissolve and get to keep some money or just leave the conference for AAC with AF and pay our exit fee we will be better off. Staying with a sinking ship is just crazy.

Obviously I don't know what the **** is going to happen but I'd like to see us have a plan rather than just sitting around waiting for the building to fall on our heads.
But isnt that the UNLV and MWC way? Wait til it is to late and then react while the dumpster burns to the ground?

They created a feeding frenzy without actually having a full conference. The Pac 2 have no intentions of paying the money, they'll divide it amongst themselves to keep themselves elevated from the lost revenue. By only taking 4 they did 2 things- prevented lawsuit for poaching per their partnering agreement that likely costs them real money not just potential exit fees, and 2- created a frenzy for the last 2 spots that inevitably breaks up the MWC. They then don't have to pay the exit fees and avoid litigation because the next 2 schools leave on their own accord.. it's a huge gamble by those 2 schools

They created a feeding frenzy without actually having a full conference. The Pac 2 have no intentions of paying the money, they'll divide it amongst themselves to keep themselves elevated from the lost revenue. By only taking 4 they did 2 things- prevented lawsuit for poaching per their partnering agreement that likely costs them real money not just potential exit fees, and 2- created a frenzy for the last 2 spots that inevitably breaks up the MWC. They then don't have to pay the exit fees and avoid litigation because the next 2 schools leave on their own accord.. it's a huge gamble by those 2 schools

I said it earlier.

They took for swings at the tree with an axe and are now letting gravity do the rest.

Of remaining MWC I would have to think UNLV is a target. Who else though? AFA? Maybe? Doubt it.

USU? I can't see Reno, Wyoming.

SJSU?

I would think AF but i think they would prefer the AAC, the only other school i would think would be Hawaii, but if they stay at 8 members that doesnt help the basketball or olympic sports. I think if UNLV gets an invite it will be a Texas school

Last edited:
I would think AF but i think they would prefer the AAC, the only other school i would think would be Hawaii, but if they stay at 8 members that doesnt help the basketball or olympic sports. I thinonif UNLV gets an invite it will be a Texas school

PAC won't take Hawaii because of Olympic sports.

Hawaii is in a lot of trouble potentially.

The Pac won't take Hawaii because it gives them nothing but headaches and the TV market sucks for viewers stateside. If I had to wager, AFA, Utah St (SLC-lite market) and UNLV... after that maybe SJSU for the San Fran market...

Sorry bud but your post makes no sense. "No intentions of paying the money"? Which money are you talking about? This is going to get weird. The MW will get a shit ton of money regardless of who is writing the checks (The Pac-2, the 4 MW traitors, or more likely both). So if say AF bolts, they pay the exit fee plus don't share in the previous windfall? What a clusterf***.

Now let's just say the MW dissolves. Do the traitors get some of their money back as the assets get split? What about your own future NCAA BB allocations? What a mess. Our situation was a lot cleaner. The traitors bucked up $65M (can't really even remember why at this point), and the rest of our windfall was future RB contract $ and BB allocations and a smidge from the FBS.

Anyway, I have to believe that the Pac wants and will offer UNLV. And maybe did. We just need to figure out WTF happened and how to fix it.

One final wrinkle - how ironclad is this agreement with your traitors? Can they back out? That would suck (for the Pac-2).

Here is a clusterfu(K:

Boise State--not a state
Fresno State--not a state
San Diego State--not a state

To go along with:
Oregon State
Washington State
Colorado State

Must be a geographic joke of a conference.

Reactions: RebelScrub
Sorry bud but your post makes no sense. "No intentions of paying the money"? Which money are you talking about? This is going to get weird. The MW will get a shit ton of money regardless of who is writing the checks (The Pac-2, the 4 MW traitors, or more likely both). So if say AF bolts, they pay the exit fee plus don't share in the previous windfall? What a clusterf***.

Now let's just say the MW dissolves. Do the traitors get some of their money back as the assets get split? What about your own future NCAA BB allocations? What a mess. Our situation was a lot cleaner. The traitors bucked up $65M (can't really even remember why at this point), and the rest of our windfall was future RB contract $ and BB allocations and a smidge from the FBS.

Anyway, I have to believe that the Pac wants and will offer UNLV. And maybe did. We just need to figure out WTF happened and how to fix it.

One final wrinkle - how ironclad is this agreement with your traitors? Can they back out? That would suck (for the Pac-2).
lol. Why would they back out?

As far as the Pac wanting UNLV from a quote from the SDSU President she said the four MWC schools Presidents did not have a vote in the decision. She said it was all based on metrics and analysis and the best four schools were chosen. Do I believe her? It doesn't really matter at this point.

Any way thanks for letting me post on your board over the last year or so. Wish us luck as we navigate this shit show. I'm just hoping we can catch a ride with AF and make a jump to the AAC at this point. I just don't see any other possible options for us unless the Pac changes their mind on us. Doesn't seem likely to me though. The MWC is going down in flames.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Here is a clusterfu(K:

Boise State--not a state
Fresno State--not a state
San Diego State--not a state

To go along with:
Oregon State
Washington State
Colorado State

Must be a geographic joke of a conference.
Naturally they'll add
State:
New Mexico St
Utah St
Not a State:
San Jose St
Sacramento St

Applying Occam's razor (simplest path to an answer for the uneducated rubes!)

PAC didn't need and or want to take more teams because it would have brought on legal action.

Just needed to pull that first block out of the Jenga tower and then watch it eventually crash.

MWC is now in disarray. Hawaii is football only. So we technically only have 7 not 8 schools left.

Remaining schools in conference are now scrambling.

If I'm understanding how this works, if all schools vote to disband the conference there are no exit fees. (Correct me if I'm wrong here)

Now would they? I don't know, probably yes if they could coordinate a landing spot.

lol. Why would they back out?

As far as the Pac wanting UNLV from a quote from the SDSU President she said the four MWC schools Presidents did not have a vote in the decision. She said it was all based on metrics and analysis and the best four schools were chosen. Do I believe her? It doesn't really matter at this point.

Any way thanks for letting me post on your board over the last year or so. Wish us luck as we navigate this shit show. I'm just hoping we can catch a ride with AF and make a jump to the AAC at this point. I just don't see any other possible options for us unless the Pac changes their mind on us. Doesn't seem likely to me though. The MWC is going down in flames.
Hey don't leave yet. And I feel bad for the MW conference, and I am sad that we are doing exactly what was done to us.

PAC didn't need and or want to take more teams because it would have brought on legal action.

Just needed to pull that first block out of the Jenga tower and then watch it eventually crash.

MWC is now in disarray. Hawaii is football only. So we technically only have 7 not 8 schools left.

If I'm understanding how this works, if all schools vote to disband the conference there are no exit fees. (Correct me if I'm wrong here)

Now would they? I don't know, probably yes if they could coordinate a landing spot.
OK wait. The scheduling agreement runs the poaching fee up to 6 teams (maybe farther, I don't have access to it anymore). So if the agreement addresses 6 teams, how could poaching 6 teams bring on legal action?

OK wait. The scheduling agreement runs the poaching fee up to 6 teams (maybe farther, I don't have access to it anymore). So if the agreement addresses 6 teams, how could poaching 6 teams bring on legal action?
I don't know what legal action can be taken. It's been mentioned only on this board so I wouldn't put a lot of weight on it.

It goes up to 11 schools:

Institution #1 $10,000,000 $10,000,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #2 $10,500,000 $20,500,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #3 $11,000,000 $31,500,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #4 $11,500,000 $43,000,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #5 $12,000,000 $55,000,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #6 $12,500,000 $67,500,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #7 $13,000,000 $80,500,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #8 $13,500,000 $94,000,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #9 $14,000,000 $108,000,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #10 $14,500,000 $122,500,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #11 $15,000,000 $137,500,000

I thought it kicked in if they dropped us below conference minimum requirement?

You could be right. This stuff gives me a headache.

You seem certain UNLV is in the mix. I'm not so sure anymore.

Dont feel too bad, dude. You got a good one in Fresno. They are solid. The other 3 are whores.
Oh yeah, Boise demand a bigger cut. Right? It is going to a glorious game vs Boise this year. We are going to f*ck up Jeanty and Boise.

Last edited:
I don't know what legal action can be taken. It's been mentioned only on this board so I wouldn't put a lot of weight on it.

It goes up to 11 schools:

Institution #1 $10,000,000 $10,000,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #2 $10,500,000 $20,500,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #3 $11,000,000 $31,500,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #4 $11,500,000 $43,000,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #5 $12,000,000 $55,000,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #6 $12,500,000 $67,500,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #7 $13,000,000 $80,500,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #8 $13,500,000 $94,000,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #9 $14,000,000 $108,000,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #10 $14,500,000 $122,500,000

Accepting MWC Member Institution #11 $15,000,000 $137,500,000

Maybe UNLV isn't in the mix at all.

Again the big hole with this idea is giving up all of the exit fees.
If the MW is no more, the traitorous 4 likely do not have to pay. That's great for the 2-3 teams that may still have a landing spot, but not the rest.
The rest will want to stick together and hold onto the MW name and either rebuild with the best available or try to merge with the CUSA or something. Why vote to dissolve when they are destined to taking a paycut on their contract and forgoing the huge exit fees that they are already getting.

I agree UNLV will need to leave one way or another, but there is zero benefit for schools like unr, Wyoming, etc.. who could wait and take the exit fee from Air Force and UNLV, and then decide what to do! Unless the MWC totally collapses, there are a handful of schools that have no other option at all!

If the MW is no more, the traitorous 4 likely do not have to pay. That's great for the 2-3 teams that may still have a landing spot, but not the rest.
The rest will want to stick together and hold onto the MW name and either rebuild with the best available or try to merge with the CUSA or something. Why vote to dissolve when they are destined to taking a paycut on their contract and forgoing the huge exit fees that they are already getting.

They could hold on absolutely. But who are they going to add.

4 FCS schools (Montana Montana State and the 2 Dakota Schools) Moving up is a whole process in itself.

Merge with CUSA? Possible although CUSA goes to 12 next year up from 9. They might be interested in going to 16. If that were case...

And I'm guessing here..

UNM, USU, Wyoming and Reno? Would have a landing spot. SJSU might be in trouble there.

Although maybe PAC would take them.

Hawaii doesn't get a vote.

AFA would vote yeah and go AAC (Again speculation but it makes sense)

Seriously if you are UNM or Wyoming right now do you have any faith the MWC brass can cobble something together?

They would discuss voting to dissolve the conference. There are technically only 7 teams as it stands with Hawaii being football only.

Here's why I think it would be smart for all parties involved. (And if there are holes in my theory feel free to tell me I'm an idiot).

Every team in the MWC should be looking for a new landing spot now.

There is no way the next media deal for the current MWC will match the last one with what was lost. There are no viable schools to poach to replace what was lost. The one school in the most trouble is UH.

So.

To avoid paying exit fees vote to dissolve the conference.

Here's where my theory probably hits some snags but...

Most if not all the schools could find a soft landing in CUSA. Assuming they want to expand. I believe CUSA would absolutely take UNM, UTAH STATE, WYOMING and RENO. I also think they would consider Hawaii football only. SJSU would be a solid addition getting them into the California market.

If they took 5 they get to 14. The biggest road block for Hawaii is travel cost. Not for them but the teams already in CUSA. They aren't exactly big money schools. This is why I think UH could be in a lot of trouble.

AFA would go to the AAC. I don't think there would be any hurdles here.

That leaves UNLV.

I don't believe the Regents will ultimately end up being anything more than a hurdle/minor annoyance with the whole Reno/UNLV tied at the hip nonsense.

The question then becomes does the PAC actually want UNLV?

I mean there's so many reasons to think they would. But it is possible they don't.

I'm going out on a limb that they would take UNLV. (I also believe Utah State might be a team they would consider oddly enough).

I also don't believe since they are football only Hawaii gets a vote.

Agree? Disagree?
If we dissolve the MW Conference, and UNLV is not picked. What do we do then? Go independent for a while? If we were to play schools that have name recognition in various regions would that help our progress or is it too expensive? Getting into an area I don't know much about. But, in general, if the MW falls apart and they don't add quality institutions, would it be better to go Independent?

I agree UNLV will need to leave one way or another, but there is zero benefit for schools like unr, Wyoming, etc.. who could wait and take the exit fee from Air Force and UNLV, and then decide what to do! Unless the MWC totally collapses, there are a handful of schools that have no other option at all!

I think most do have potential landing spots.

Hawaii doesn't get a say.

I think a decision is better sooner than later for most.

Are the same potential landing spots going to be available in two years? I don't know.

I just don't see a path where the MWC exists in 2 or 3 years.

Reactions: SilverSpoon
That's part of my point on intent. If they can get the 4+2, plus say another 2 or 3 looking at AAC or CUSA they can vote to dissolve conference. The non-pac group would also need conference to dissolve to avoid ppaying a buyout. The remaining few left outs may pursue legal options, so there may be some $ needing to change hands, but probably well below the 111 million

If we dissolve the MW Conference, and UNLV is not picked. What do we do then? Go independent for a while? If we were to play schools that have name recognition in various regions would that help our progress or is it too expensive? Getting into an area I don't know much about. But, in general, if the MW falls apart and they don't add quality institutions, would it be better to go Independent?

Absolutely not. Nightmare for scheduling. Among other things.

No, we have no shot as an independent. We have no money to do that. Most likely we join a CUSA or AAC temporarily

That's part of my point on intent. If they can get the 4+2, plus say another 2 or 3 looking at AAC or CUSA they can vote to dissolve conference. The non-pac group would also need conference to dissolve to avoid ppaying a buyout. The remaining few left outs may pursue legal options, so there may be some $ needing to change hands, but probably well below the 111 million

Thanks for being more concise. And painting a clearer picture than I can.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT