ADVERTISEMENT

How many wins until

Rebel_Luv

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
He gets poached. I say as soon as he wins 8 games in a season he gone.

Bill Clark has been at UAB for three years. Three bowls. 1st, 2nd, 1st in conference.

I don't see him moving yet this year.

There are only @ 20 head coaching job openings each year. But a little less than half of those jobs would be lateral moves for Arroyo. Two or three of those jobs are right at the top and I don't see him getting one of those yet either. ( I think he'd need to prove success at a P5 school first).

That leaves about 10-12 jobs available for a successful new coach. The odds are , unless we are beating Boise regularly, he'll be with us for a while.

Last edited:
Jesus christ. Deja vu. Same people talking about poaching and 8 wins did this will Sanchez hire. Pac 12 poaching Tony f ing Sanchez lmao. You people are special.

Reactions: Catmstr
I'm excited for what's next but I also recognize he is a first time Head Coach that doesn't have a lot of experience with successful programs prior to Oregon.
With a defense that lacks production among pass rusher, there is a ton to prove next season before worrying about poaching.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I'm excited for what's next but I also recognize he is a first time Head Coach that doesn't have a lot of experience with successful programs prior to Oregon.
With a defense that lacks production among pass rusher, there is a ton to prove next season before worrying about poaching.

Man how many years has this been an issue?

His biggest hires in my opinion will be:

1) Defensive coordinator. You need talent. No denying that, but I'm not sure we've had a DC here that impacts the game schematically in a long time. Even in 'down' years Rocky Long's 3-3-5 defense has been above avg. His defenses have always been able to make QBs uncomfortable even when they haven't been as talented. This was one reason I was hoping for Jay Hill or Morgan Scalley if they went the coordinator route.

QB Coach) Oblad has some upside and in the proper system can win you some games. I know most here are down on Rogers. But he has some talent. Big arm, can run. But he looks like the same guy now he did his RS Freshman year. We've seen a couple games (not many but a few) where he's been dynamic. If somebody could harness that. Add in RS freshman Mumphrey and incoming freshman Brumfield, Rebs need somebody that can develop QBs.

He gets poached. I say as soon as he wins 8 games in a season he gone.

For a MWC coach to get poached to a P5 school he's going to need to do much better than that. The pool of candidates for any job is simply too large (NFL guys, 120 P5 coordinators, G5 head coaches, former P5 head coaches) that an 8-win MWC coach is not going to do it.

In 21 years of MWC I count only four coaches that have been poached away (Chris Petersen, Brady Hoke, Matt Wells, and Jim McElwain).

For a MWC coach to get poached to a P5 school he's going to need to do much better than that. The pool of candidates for any job is simply too large (NFL guys, 120 P5 coordinators, G5 head coaches, former P5 head coaches) that an 8-win MWC coach is not going to do it.

In 21 years of MWC I count only four coaches that have been poached away (Chris Petersen, Brady Hoke, Matt Wells, and Jim McElwain).
His age and his resume and can recruit a high level(hopefully) speaks volume. If he can get us to 8 wins bye year 2 along with a few P5 wins and I guarantee he will get poached.

His age and his resume and can recruit a high level(hopefully) speaks volume. If he can get us to 8 wins bye year 2 along with a few P5 wins and I guarantee he will get poached.

On a national level, 8 wins at a G5 school is not as impressive as you seem to think. Bryan Harsin's worst season in his 6 years at Boise State is 9 wins.

The closest (young coach, P5 coordinator to G5) poach comparison I can think of is Mike Norvell, who was just hired from Memphis to Florida State. Norvell had two 8-win seasons, one 10-win season, and one top 25 ranking finish in his first three seasons before he started getting significant mention for lesser P5 jobs. Then in year four he won 12 games and was off to Florida State.

Realistically Arroyo is only going to get consideration for PAC12 positions if/when he is ready to go P5, due to his regional connections. There are not a lot of PAC12 openings any given year. This year the only one (Washington) was filled by a coordinator.

Last edited:
Reactions: dcut03
On a national level, 8 wins at a G5 school is not as impressive as you seem to think. Bryan Harsin's worst season in his 6 years at Boise State is 9 wins.

The closest (young coach, P5 coordinator to G5) poach comparison I can think of is Mike Norvell, who was just hired from Memphis to Florida State. Norvell had two 8-win seasons, one 10-win season, and one top 25 ranking finish in his first three seasons before he started getting significant mention for lesser P5 jobs. Then in year four he won 12 games and was off to Florida State.

Realistically Arroyo is only going to get consideration for PAC12 positions if/when he is ready to go P5, due to his regional connections. There are not a lot of PAC12 openings any given year. This year the only one (Washington) was filled by a coordinator.

UNLV is a little different in that we typically take 4 years to reach 8 wins.

Man how many years has this been an issue?

His biggest hires in my opinion will be:

1) Defensive coordinator. You need talent. No denying that, but I'm not sure we've had a DC here that impacts the game schematically in a long time. Even in 'down' years Rocky Long's 3-3-5 defense has been above avg. His defenses have always been able to make QBs uncomfortable even when they haven't been as talented. This was one reason I was hoping for Jay Hill or Morgan Scalley if they went the coordinator route.

QB Coach) Oblad has some upside and in the proper system can win you some games. I know most here are down on Rogers. But he has some talent. Big arm, can run. But he looks like the same guy now he did his RS Freshman year. We've seen a couple games (not many but a few) where he's been dynamic. If somebody could harness that. Add in RS freshman Mumphrey and incoming freshman Brumfield, Rebs need somebody that can develop QBs.
Couldn’t agree more on the D coordinator. However the QB coach from what I’m looking at IS Arroyo. At least I fully think that’s what he thinks...
My fear again is that with an O focused coach... they really don’t see or fully understand how critical the D is to success. The idea of ‘out scoring’ the other team with our O - is the recipe for failure. However, the idea of out scoring the other team with our D - is the recipe for championships. Obviously you need both strong, but focus on the D is critical. Having an ex QB as HC.... it’s just got me hesitant. I really like the hire, but I’ll love it, if he focuses on having the best D in MW... and commits to it.

Utah States head coach went P5 last year after a one loss season

2 loss season

Both mostly right. Wells was 11-1 going into the final weekend, which is the weekend Texas Tech started openly coach shopping and fired their HC.

Wells was a rock star that season with USU averaging over 47 points per game and only allowing 23. If Arroyo does that and gets hired away I will be grateful for his time at UNLV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT