ADVERTISEMENT

Maiava

It's amazing how quarterback play makes such a difference in football. I can't think of another team sport where one player makes so much difference (perhaps BB and a point but...)

Dude Doug brumfield threw the worst interception I have ever seen at UNLV.

I will never see you play ever.

Reactions: rorebel24
Not if you listened to Caleb Herring on the post game wrap. 🤷
He’s media, he’s probably going to be more middle of the road, more PC about it. Not wanting to make any strong proclamations without knowing what might happen.

If Odom whispered to him “Jaden is our guy moving forward” … I’m sure he’d have taken that stance.

I’m not saying for sure he would, but it’s how most media reacts to things.

Reactions: RRebel
From his own personal experience, Caleb would be the first to say never give up on anyone.

He is the greatest redemption story in the history of the program. If Doug is feeling low, I promise you Caleb knows what he’s going through and then some. Caleb threw three pick 6s in a home blowout loss to SUU as an under classman. Caleb was de-valued so much that he was moved out of the QB chorale to WR. Only in desperate times on the brink of an 0-3 start was he put behind center again his senior year. From there he led us to our only bowl game in the past 22 years. There’s no former player I respect more than Caleb. I love that he’s still a part of the program.

Have to make sure Doug stays his best because we may need him.

From his own personal experience, Caleb would be the first to say never give up on anyone.

He is the greatest redemption story in the history of the program. If Doug is feeling low, I promise you Caleb knows what he’s going through and then some. Caleb threw three pick 6s in a home blowout loss to SUU as an under classman. Caleb was de-valued so much that he was moved out of the QB chorale to WR. Only in desperate times on the brink of an 0-3 start was he put behind center again his senior year. From there he led us to our only bowl game in the past 22 years. There’s no former player I respect more than Caleb. I love that he’s still a part of the program.

Well said, Doc.

Reactions: VegasKC SDM
Not if you listened to Caleb Herring on the post game wrap. 🤷
He's speaking from the point of view as a starting QB who lost his job... remember he played WR for a period of time before having a decent senior season... but he's exactly that, a former QB that was ok, suggesting to keep another ok guy just because he's been there longer

I think it’s clear as day …
Call me jaded but that’s why I think they’ll promptly go back to Brum. Makes too much sense. Happened last year with Bailey (former 5 star QB).

BUT, maybe I’m used to a different coaching staff and common sense and eye test will prevail. 🤷‍♂️

Idk... Odom said last night he expects Brumfield to be cleared for UTEP but thats an interesting choice of words vs say "ready to start" or "cleared to start"... I mean, we should win the next 3 games, have to win them... after watching the team around Maiava last night on those big drives how you can hand the ball back to Doug...

Idk... Odom said last night he expects Brumfield to be cleared for UTEP but thats an interesting choice of words vs say "ready to start" or "cleared to start"... I mean, we should win the next 3 games, have to win them... after watching the team around Maiava last night on those big drives how you can hand the ball back to Doug...
I don't see how you can.

Maybe to keep utep questioning so they don’t know who to prepare for 🤷‍♂️

He’s media, he’s probably going to be more middle of the road, more PC about it. Not wanting to make any strong proclamations without knowing what might happen.

If Odom whispered to him “Jaden is our guy moving forward” … I’m sure he’d have taken that stance.

I’m not saying for sure he would, but it’s how most media reacts to things.

He's keeping in good graces with staff and players.

Which I get.

His game breakdowns are really good.

I don't think he wants to be a voice in any QB controversy.

Let the coaches make that call.

It's Doug's job until Odom says otherwise. Will not be shocked to see Doug get the start vs Utep.

Leash will be short though.

Plus Doug's struggles to stay healthy may take the decision out if Odom's hands.

Doug has had 3 years. His throwing hasn't gotten any better. We don't need another Armani Rogers situation.

Doug has had 3 years. His throwing hasn't gotten any better. We don't need another Armani Rogers situation.
"But this year he'll be better."

Unless you specifically work on throwing mechanics and accuracy, you won't improve in either. He still has his windup which tells me that he either hasn't worked on it or he reverts to his instincts in game situations.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
"But this year he'll be better."

Unless you specifically work on throwing mechanics and accuracy, you won't improve in either. He still has his windup which tells me that he either hasn't worked on it or he reverts to his instincts in game situations.
I don't know if because of injuries, it seems to me that Brum looks worst than last year. He just looks lethargic, no sense of urgency whatsoever. I watched NFL game last night, both QBs were rushed and hurried. Yet, they managed to completes passes based upon an anticipation and adaption. Both DL were ball out but yet the offence move the ball.

You know what is crazy to me; when we have opinions on Maiava or Brumfield or anyone, the media members that work close with the team make it seem like we cant have a take on what is happening or cant voice our opinion. Thats crazy to me; it seems to only happen with football.

They say "you dont know whats going on in the locker room" or things of that nature to invalidate our opinion or to make it seem like we arent smart or dont have eyes. Its crazy to me because everyone has an opinion on everything; whether or not we are in the locker room doesnt matter. We are speaking from what we see and no one is claiming to be an expert or be in the locker room. But the same people that are shunning us for having an opinion are the same ones that have opinions on a million other things and they arent directly involved in those matters but still have something to say.

Yes I know this happens a lot and its been happening; I'm just bringing it up. Weird world we live in.

Last edited:
You know what is crazy to me; when we have opinions on Maiava or Brumfield or anyone, the media members that work close with the team make it seem like we cant have a take on what is happening or cant voice our opinion. Thats crazy to me; it seems to only happen with football.

They say "you dont know whats going on in the locker room" or things of that nature to invalidate our opinion or to make it seem like we arent smart or dont have eyes. Its crazy to me because everyone has an opinion on everything; whether or not we are in the locker room doesnt matter. We are speaking from what we see and no one is claiming to be an expert or be in the locker room. But the same people that are shunning us for having an opinion are the same ones that have opinions on a million other things and they arent directly involved in those matters but still have something to say.

Yes I know this happens a lot and its been happening; I'm just bringing it up. Weird world we live in.
You're starting to sound like one of us. We get frustrated because we see and understand sometimes better than the media. The media will say just enough so they don't get kicked out of the locker room or lose contact with the coaches. They are like parasites.

Speaking of that I think some of them read this forum. I see it every now and then that someone says "You don't know what's going on in the locker room" 🥸

They say "you dont know whats going on in the locker room" or things of that nature to invalidate our opinion or to make it seem like we arent smart or dont have eyes.
The only place that I've regularly heard that is cofield and Caleb (they cover closer than about anyone, as well). And I like their opinions on the team more than just about anybody else's when it comes to media takes. I have never felt like they are invalidating our opinions, but are adding to our thoughts with the stuff they know we don't see. Caleb in particular I would imagine. Having been the guy given the job, losing the job, then getting the job again, would probably rather echo what the coaches have to say than compare it to himself or stir the pot.

I definitely haven't felt that either of those guys is saying "you don't know what you're talking about. You're wrong" as much as "there is stuff that happens in a locker room that impacts the entire team as much as which guy is playing" ... I always think of that as with the addition "as long as one doesn't suck"

And to that end, if Doug starts and doesn't look good, I have faith the staff would make the change. Likewise with maiava.

The media will say just enough so they don't get kicked out of the locker room or lose contact with the coaches. They are like parasites.
Those media members that are close with the team can also do the job better if the staff and team trust them enough to not run with something that stirs controversy. Controversy is fine if you're a top story or program anyway... but UNLV with controversy usually means bad things around the program.

If Cofield said he thought brumfield sucked and should transfer right after Odom says he's the guy (in a public conversation), I would expect that to make for a tense conversation and a less enjoyable demeaner from a coach who would be less inclined to speak.

I believe it was AA Insider, but I could be totally wrong (sorry if it wasn't you!!) Who mentioned that Odom wasn't the most media friendly coach during his time at the SEC (as I'm typing, I'm think I read this from a Mizzou perspective, not Arkansas. So probably not AA Insider).
I'd consider the Odom we have seen thus far as very friendly for the media and a good ambassador to the school. When the program sucks, nobody wants to talk to the media anyway. When it's decent or trending up, it makes sense to me for those guys not to find ways to bash it.

Anyone know if Brum has been back to full activities as practice this week?
It is a critical year, they make the wrong call and lose games UNLV suppose to win. No bowl>>>less fans, less money>no conference re alignment talk crap. Coach O is the highest paid coach in the conference, I hope he make the right call.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Doesn't matter what's going on "in the locker room." It's the on-field performance and results that matter. If you continue to put the guy in based off "in the locker room" stuff and he underperforms & struggles, then you're the problem. Sanchez had that issue with Armani.

Doesn't matter what's going on "in the locker room." It's the on-field performance and results that matter. If you continue to put the guy in based off "in the locker room" stuff and he underperforms & struggles, then you're the problem. Sanchez had that issue with Armani.
I agree, but you also can't discount what a player might look like on the practice field.

Sometime players shut down or play better during games, that is for sure.

But how a player executes in practice, how much of the playbook they fully grasp how they study film, how they interact with players, all of that also matters. Those are all things we can't see.

Odom is the most established coach we have had since J Rob. I am trusting him on picking the players that best gives us a chance to win. I also trust that he will make then change if it is necessary. It may have already happened, but maybe not. Keeping the opponent guessing is a tactic he can still use, so I'm guessing that we wont really know for a week or two. If DB isn't back by next week, he probably wont be the guy barring an injury or a JM meltdown.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
After this week, we have an off week. So unless Brum's injury is much worse than they're letting on, both he and Maiava should get plenty of reps over that time. We should know for sure by the UNR game what the plan will be going forward

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT