ADVERTISEMENT

How is our conditioning going with MM?

LVKryptonite

Conference POY
Mar 3, 2010
Here is an article about big Zimm. Nice article. Here is an observation and this article made me think about this thought before.

In the article it talks about UNLV's lack of strength and conditioning? Really, I didn't know that this was a problem, but I guess I can believe it.

So...my thought. When Beard was hired he sat all the players down. Gave them a schedule and a diet. Yep, that's right a diet and work out schedule. I heard that MM did not and Rice did not. I was wondering if anyone else can shed light on this.

But, winning begins with the little thing. First, how do you put on your socks properly. How/when to work out. Don't just take shots, take perfect shots to make you better. Etc.

I wonder how MM has been doing. I will be down there to talk to MM about unrelated business and I intend on asking him. I also will make the suggestion that if it has not been done already, that he does do it. Beard was here for 20 minutes and had the guys on the path. I liked hearing that and a comment from one of the players was that he liked that attention to detail also.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2016/6...aft-strengths-weaknesses-of-stephen-zimmerman

Reactions: manic water
When your best players routinely miss the latter part of the season due to injury, then that's more than just bad luck. I have thought since Bennett was hurt that the trainers are doing something wrong. And it keeps repeating.

Reactions: manic water
We've had the same Strength and Conditioning guy for a long time, and I think he is responsible for more than just basketball. I don't have to look any further than Wink Adams to know the guy knows his stuff (in fact, it has been thought that Wink got too buff). Add that to our world-class facilities and their is no excuse as to why a players cannot be physically ready other than the players themselves.

Its not so much our coaches strength and conditioning regimen that should be questioned. What should be questioned are the types of players that the coaches have recruited that do not seem to be receptive to this regimented training.

Wink and Marshall got buff. I wonder if that was due to their dedication or the coaches. I am very concerned about the injuries. We have seemed to be plagued by injuries. It may be conditioning, but I wondered about coaching also. On that is that Rice played 7-8 players. Lots of minutes. You have to manage the minutes to win the war. I think sometimes we won the battle, but lost the war. The battles all coming in the preseason.

I really think that you have 7-8 guys getting good minutes and 2-3 guys getting 10-15 minutes to spell other guys. Not very many people can play 35+ minutes a game. For example Lebron played 7 minutes of the 4th quarter (game 3) and they were never up by less than 22. Dumb. If the game isn't on the line, rest them and protect them.

My hat goes off to Pat when he collapsed on the court. Amazing performance, great example of leaving it all on the court.

In the article it talks about UNLV's lack of strength and conditioning? Really, I didn't know that this was a problem, but I guess I can believe it.

So...my thought. When Beard was hired he sat all the players down. Gave them a schedule and a diet. Yep, that's right a diet and work out schedule. I heard that MM did not and Rice did not. I was wondering if anyone else can shed light on this.

But, winning begins with the little thing. First, how do you put on your socks properly. How/when to work out. Don't just take shots, take perfect shots to make you better. Etc.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2016/6...aft-strengths-weaknesses-of-stephen-zimmerman

I noticed that too and made me wonder, because I clearly remember when Rice was first hired, the "experts" over on the confidential board made frequent reports about how phenomenal his conditioning drills were, and how UNLV players were having the very best conditioning program in the country, bar none. Looking back, .... wow.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
We've had the same Strength and Conditioning guy for a long time, and I think he is responsible for more than just basketball. I don't have to look any further than Wink Adams to know the guy knows his stuff (in fact, it has been thought that Wink got too buff). Add that to our world-class facilities and their is no excuse as to why a players cannot be physically ready other than the players themselves.

Its not so much our coaches strength and conditioning regimen that should be questioned. What should be questioned are the types of players that the coaches have recruited that do not seem to be receptive to this regimented training.
Ok, Jason.

Wink and Marshall got buff. I wonder if that was due to their dedication or the coaches. I am very concerned about the injuries. We have seemed to be plagued by injuries. It may be conditioning, but I wondered about coaching also. On that is that Rice played 7-8 players. Lots of minutes. You have to manage the minutes to win the war. I think sometimes we won the battle, but lost the war. The battles all coming in the preseason.

I really think that you have 7-8 guys getting good minutes and 2-3 guys getting 10-15 minutes to spell other guys. Not very many people can play 35+ minutes a game. For example Lebron played 7 minutes of the 4th quarter (game 3) and they were never up by less than 22. Dumb. If the game isn't on the line, rest them and protect them.

My hat goes off to Pat when he collapsed on the court. Amazing performance, great example of leaving it all on the court.
How deep did Tark go on his bench? Wasn't he quoted as saying "You need 9 guys to play and the rest to cheer loudly from the bench" lol

Reactions: LVKryptonite
It is possible to over train/condition as well. Fatigues the body and can lead to more injuries.

I stopped trying to figure out what Rice was doing several years ago......

My boys are doing a training program this summer and it is very adamant about getting rest and not doubling up or skipping rest days. Train every other day to give your muscles time to recoup.

We are doing a vertical program. I did one when I was a kid and it worked really well. This seems similar, a lot of jumping rope, but nothing that I question. So... I totally agree that you can overdo it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT