ADVERTISEMENT

How do you handle QB last two games?

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
If Decker is able to go do you play him the last two games of the season?

Or

Do you go with Palandech the last two games.

It isn't as much of a statement but getting to 5 wins would still be a nice step in the right direction. Decker probably gives us a better chance to win.

But

No lock in us getting Lagow, Evans or Johnson. Palandech may have to be the guy next season if Sneed isn't ready. So getting him reps is important.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
Decker was the starter to begin the season based in his experience and play in fall camp. However, considering his current injuries and Kurt's recent play, I think it's time to make a switch.

Decker is 1:1 on TD to INT ratio. His play on field is a much more a liability than Kurt's inexperience and somewhat lesser skill set. You can even make the case the Kurt's most recent play has been much better than Decker.

I don't think one needs to go as far as to say you put Kurt as starter for his future development as much as he's earned it. Along with Decker physical state, it's time to start Kurt because he's the best option to win the last two games.

One last note on Decker and Palandech.

Both have accounted for 10 total Tds. Decker has thrown for 9 rushed for 1. Palandech 7 td passes 3 rushing TD's.

Decker has thrown 7 interceptions to 3 for Palandech.

Now you could say that Decker has had a lot more attempts hence the interceptions but the reverse of that would be true with Palandech having almost as many TD passes on far fewer attempts.

The things that separates the two are accuracy and pocket awareness. Decker is more accurate and takes far fewer sacks per attempt. That said though there is no denying for whatever reason Palandech has had way more drops go against him. In a half of work vs CSU there were as many as 4-6 drops.

Decker is the better QB at this point but he also has more experience.

This may all be mute if the Decker injury is significant.

Palandech's biggest issues, which are pocket awareness and accuracy can be fixed. I actually think some of Palandech's accuracy problems stem from not being comfortable yet and the game moving to fast.

If its me I probably start Palandech the last two games regardless of Decker's health. At the very least I would give him the nod for the Wyoming game.

Coaches have to go with whoever gives us the best chance to win. Kurt has had plenty of live reps and game action to build on going into spring. But for a program in the state that ours is in 1 or even 2 more wins helps with outside perception and possibly that final recruiting push. At this point with only 2 left, and we see Kurt starts and has a game closer to Fresno, than SJSU and if Decker is say 90% I can see them going back to Decker.

Right now its all about health and who they believe will keep the offense moving. For either one , SDSU's Defense has been playing really well so it will be a tall task to put up significant points but it happened a few years ago with SDSU a big favorite.

T
Coaches have to go with whoever gives us the best chance to win. Kurt has had plenty of live reps and game action to build on going into spring. But for a program in the state that ours is in 1 or even 2 more wins helps with outside perception and possibly that final recruiting push. At this point with only 2 left, and we see Kurt starts and has a game closer to Fresno, than SJSU and if Decker is say 90% I can see them going back to Decker.

Right now its all about health and who they believe will keep the offense moving. For either one , SDSU's Defense has been playing really well so it will be a tall task to put up significant points but it happened a few years ago with SDSU a big favorite.
You may be right, the wins from a perception standpoint may be more important, especially with recruiting.

Decker gives us a passing dimension that is more respected by defenses than Kurt does. It's not just about the passing game, tho. I think the respect for Decker's abilities opens up the run game a little more, as well. When it comes to getting reps for the backfield, I'm more concerned about our rushers than our throwers, as we're going to be relying heavily on Whitely next year, X and Lex for the next three, and like to see them get the ball and be successful. Kurt, at this point, is a known quantity. He doesn't need to audition for next year. I think there will be a wide open competition for QB next year, anyway, and I don't think Kurt wins. Decker's two games away from finishing up his UNLV career. When healthy he gives us the best chance to win. If he can go, it's gotta be Blake.

Decker gives us a passing dimension that is more respected by defenses than Kurt does. It's not just about the passing game, tho. I think the respect for Decker's abilities opens up the run game a little more, as well. When it comes to getting reps for the backfield, I'm more concerned about our rushers than our throwers, as we're going to be relying heavily on Whitely next year, X and Lex for the next three, and like to see them get the ball and be successful. Kurt, at this point, is a known quantity. He doesn't need to audition for next year. I think there will be a wide open competition for QB next year, anyway, and I don't think Kurt wins. Decker's two games away from finishing up his UNLV career. When healthy he gives us the best chance to win. If he can go, it's gotta be Blake.
I think you are right, the only thing I differ on is Palandech a bit. I think there is something to work with there. I used the example before but Caleb Herring flashed similar potential early in his career, but suffered through some bumpy starts and rough patches. His senior year once he replaced Sherry, everything seemed to click for the kid. He looked like a completely different player. He just seemed more confident, as if the game slowed down for him. I really think Palandech could make similar strides. The athleticism is to make pkays with his legs is obviously there, arm strength is good enough. Its the pocket awareness and decision making that need some work.

You and Rebelbuck are probably right though, getting to 5 wins would help recruiting. Which at this juncture is likely more important than developing a guy that may not even start next year.

Reactions: RebelinWA
I d say start kurt this week and give him most of the snaps if Decker isn't healthy. For the last game, give Decker the start, and the final offensive series. It'll be the last time for him, might as well give Decker one last hurrah if he's healthy.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Agreed, if Blake's not healthy he shouldn't start, or at least play the most. The next game is Senior Night and he should start, even if it's one play to hand off and then come out. I like the idea of the last series in the last game, too. He's taken enough of a beating the last two seasons that he should get at least that much.

Personally, I say start Kurt. If he is going to be our starter next season then the O-Line needs to get used to hearing his calls and cadences. Also, it could further his timing with the WR's and TE's.
I respect what Glass Joe did for us this season but I say we need to start preparing for the future.

(Calling him Glass Joe isn't meant to be insulting. I just think it's funny)

Reactions: RebelinWA
Well the initial Depth Chart was just releases and has Kurt Starting, Snead as the back-up and Decker 3rd. Mark Anderson said he is questionable.

I don't think you pull the redshirt for Snead at all in any situation. You give Nick Sherry a call(jk) or put in Troy Hawthorne either one but no Dalton Snead at this point please!! I hope Decker is healthy enough to step in in an emergency like he was against SJSU.

According to RJ looks like Decker probably won't go this week. SDSU's defense has been really good the last few weeks. Their offense outside of their running back has struggled a bit.

Sanchez also said they will pull Sneed's red shirt if Palandech goes down. Really hope it doesn't come to that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT