ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Reb! Hey Reb - Lakeith Walls

Best of Illini: No. 32, LaKeith Walls
Wed, 07/08/2015 - 8:00am | Matt Daniels
NO. 32: LaKeith Walls, LB

WHY HE'S IMPORTANT: The lasting image of Walls during the 2014 season was his blind-side blitz against Louisiana Tech quarterback Cody Sokol. Walls timed the blitz perfectly, hitting Sokol before he had a chance to throw and forcing a fumble. A fumble that, with Illinois trailing 21-18 and less than nine minutes left in the fourth quarter, would have put Illinois in prime scoring position. But when Jihad Ward scooped up the fumble Walls forced, he was stripped of the ball and Louisiana Tech ultimately recovered en route to a 35-18 win in the Heart of Dallas Bowl. But that play showcased the potential for Walls, who improved throughout the course of last season to the point where the coaching staff trusted him on the field in a big moment. Walls will likely enter fall camp in a backup role, but he proved last season he could spell Mason Monheim at outside linebacker and not let the defense miss a beat. The Academic All-Big Ten pick a season ago played in all 13 games for the Illini last year, recording 18 tackles and two sacks.

I can see this kid in a couple different roles. Possibly as a rush end in passing situations, or fighting for a starting role at linebacker.

Also role on kick coverage units.
I've watched him play quite a lot over the last two seasons. No doubt in my mind that he starts for us at LBer. He is a real playa'. Excellent fundamentals, vision, explosiveness, quickness and strength. Great against the run and on the blitz. Fair in coverage.

Should easily be an Academic All Conference selection and a candidate to be an Honorable Mention, or higher, Academic All American

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT