ADVERTISEMENT

Hawaii- Stream?

dcut03

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
Just wondering if anyone knew if the game was going to be streamable.

I saw in the RJ a couple of days ago that the game went from being streamed, to not streamed, to being picked up by the Vegas Fox affiliate.

Being an out-of-towner, I was just wondering if I had a way to watch the game. Maybe a stream through Fox?

I saw in the RJ a couple of days ago that the game went from being streamed, to not streamed, to being picked up by the Vegas Fox affiliate.

Being an out-of-towner, I was just wondering if I had a way to watch the game. Maybe a stream through Fox?

Possible. I think the last time we played Hawaii on the road, they had a live stream. Maybe check their athletics site?

They might show it on the Fox 5 news app live. The game will be televised on Fox 5 at 9pm Vegas time.

Possible. I think the last time we played Hawaii on the road, they had a live stream. Maybe check their athletics site?
I'm almost positive this is not going to happen on Saturday. I can't remember where I read it, but I'm almost certain I read that the Oceanic company (provider of TV in Hawaii) was bought out by Time Warner. That the old Oceanic company allowed the stream to be shown on the Mainland (via livestream or unlvrebels.com), but Time Warner put a stop to the practice. They did, however, work out a deal with Fox 5 in Las Vegas to live-air the game.

As @rorebel24 said, maybe the game will be streamed on Fox 5's website, which typically shows a live stream of their news broadcasts, but my guess is that it won't. I think that stream is reserved for news only.

Crazy thing is that the game is only shown in Hawaii on a pay-per-view basis. And the game costs a whopping $45 or $75 (depending on the island) for subscribers. And I thought we had a crappy TV deal...

Reactions: s89103
I'm almost positive this is not going to happen on Saturday. I can't remember where I read it, but I'm almost certain I read that the Oceanic company (provider of TV in Hawaii) was bought out by Time Warner. That the old Oceanic company allowed the stream to be shown on the Mainland (via livestream or unlvrebels.com), but Time Warner put a stop to the practice. They did, however, work out a deal with Fox 5 in Las Vegas to live-air the game.

As @rorebel24 said, maybe the game will be streamed on Fox 5's website, which typically shows a live stream of their news broadcasts, but my guess is that it won't. I think that stream is reserved for news only.

Crazy thing is that the game is only shown in Hawaii on a pay-per-view basis. And the game costs a whopping $45 or $75 (depending on the island) for subscribers. And I thought we had a crappy TV deal...

Almost but not quite the story regarding Hawaii PPV...

In Hawaii, Time Warner Cable is known as Oceanic Time Warner Cable, there was never a separation between the two entities. Hawaii residents were saying when Charter bought TWC earlier this year that "it" was the reason for the closing of online streaming of games but that wasn't necessarily the case.

Hawaii PPV has a different cost depending on if you are located on Oahu or a neighbor island. $45 (individual), $270 (season) for neighbor islands while Oahu residents are priced at $75 (individual), $450 (season) with both ways have the ability to purchase a $99 (away only) package if they don't need all the games (if they already have season tickets for example). Hawaii athletics as a result recieves around $2.5m annually through its TV deal with Oceanic. Hawaii also has a 24/7 UH Sports Channel (OC Sports) located on basic cable as a result. The Hawaii athletic director is trying to fix the streaming issue but it's unlikely to be done soon.

In a recent news article posted in Honolulu's main newspaper (Star Advertiser) the reason Oceanic gave for stopping online streaming mainly had to deal with how local Hawaii residents were finding a way around the PPV wall and were watching PPV games for free. So to prevent losing revenue, Oceanic has decided to stop streaming until a fix is found.

There is no way to view the PPV broadcast for free for mainland fans (prior to this one game Fox 5 deal) unless provided with help. For the last few games there have been a fan located in the stands of the game that would at least stream the game through Periscope. So we will see if that continues.

In Hawaii, Time Warner Cable is known as Oceanic Time Warner Cable, there was never a separation between the two entities. Hawaii residents were saying when Charter bought TWC earlier this year that "it" was the reason for the closing of online streaming of games but that wasn't necessarily the case.

Hawaii PPV has a different cost depending on if you are located on Oahu or a neighbor island. $45 (individual), $270 (season) for neighbor islands while Oahu residents are priced at $75 (individual), $450 (season) with both ways have the ability to purchase a $99 (away only) package if they don't need all the games (if they already have season tickets for example). Hawaii athletics as a result recieves around $2.5m annually through its TV deal with Oceanic. Hawaii also has a 24/7 UH Sports Channel (OC Sports) located on basic cable as a result. The Hawaii athletic director is trying to fix the streaming issue but it's unlikely to be done soon.

In a recent news article posted in Honolulu's main newspaper (Star Advertiser) the reason Oceanic gave for stopping online streaming mainly had to deal with how local Hawaii residents were finding a way around the PPV wall and were watching PPV games for free. So to prevent losing revenue, Oceanic has decided to stop streaming until a fix is found.

There is no way to view the PPV broadcast for free for mainland fans (prior to this one game Fox 5 deal) unless provided with help. For the last few games there have been a fan located in the stands of the game that would at least stream the game through Periscope. So we will see if that continues.
Good info, thank you.

Reactions: RebelBuzz

Good info indeed. The overall takeaway for Rebel fans is that if you don't have Fox 5 (live out of town) it's probably illegal stream or bust.

Or you can get live audio from Russ and Pritch on the UNLV Gameday app, or use the LISTEN LIVE feature on lvsportsnetwork.com.

*sigh... why did I think the live audio/gametracker days were over.....

Thanks for the info guys! If anyone finds a good link on gameday ( as they tend to pop op) please share

Reactions: SilverSpoon
*sigh... why did I think the live audio/gametracker days were over.....

Thanks for the info guys! If anyone finds a good link on gameday ( as they tend to pop op) please share
I'm not sure those days will ever be over.....I was watching gametrackers and listening to UNLV games online when my 19 year old was an infant.... and I can't think of one season that we haven't been stuck with this medium to follow games.

At least I'm not dragging my 100 ft. phone cable from the connection to the computer to hookup the dialup. That's basically the only improvement that's been made in 19 years.....it's ludicrous really. However, this is Hawaii's game..... I guess they sold the rights to Channel 5.....but that doesn't do us out of towners ANY good....back to the audio and gametracker...it's gotten a bit old.

That non-fumble fumble call was baffling. it clearly took the wind out of our sails. Still 8:00 to go, but clearly momentum has shifted to Hawaii. The Rebels seemed to be deflated after being robbed of a great and timely defensive play.

That non-fumble fumble call was baffling. it clearly took the wind out of our sails. Still 8:00 to go, but clearly momentum has shifted to Hawaii. The Rebels seemed to be deflated after being robbed of a great and timely defensive play.
I can't fathom that rule. Completely against the spirit of the game

lets go team!
Frustrating penalty on the fumble recovery. Offense moving

For all the online criticism, Dalton Sneed had a monster performance at quarterback. His ball placement, decision making and toughness carried the team to a win.
Mouton's frustration eventually turned to big plays on defense with the help of Lotulelei.
Great Rebel win tonight.
Hopefully it carries through and it's signs of a young kid getting experience, because he was night and day from last week. Of course, SDSU doesn't let you get comfy with a quality D that gives lots of looks and Hawaii doesn't defend anything. He looked great tonight.

Reactions: willlevi

I cannot believe how in hell is this game not streamed??? shitshow at UNLV.

For all the online criticism, Dalton Sneed had a monster performance at quarterback. His ball placement, decision making and toughness carried the team to a win.
Mouton's frustration eventually turned to big plays on defense with the help of Lotulelei.
Great Rebel win tonight.
Last week was not on him at all. The coaches had a come to Jesus meeting after the last game and knew they could no longer continue to just pound the ball up the middle and then have Sneed try to pass on 3'rd and long. I don't think he got set in the pocket once last week before he had guys on him.

They finally turned to page 2 of the play book and actually worked it into their game plan. Great job by the coaches understanding that the best way to get their RB's going is to open things up a little with some nice passing. Really liked what one of the announcers said about him last night on the pass to Holt. He had to scramble and threw the ball on the run and he said "I like the way he moved around in the pocket while keeping his eyes down the field". That is a huge asset that not many young QB's have. Usually when things start breaking down they start looking around for a place to run instead of feeling it and keeping their eyes on their targets.

While we have been picking up lots of yards on the ground it has been noted here that most of it has been coming on a couple of long plays. We had really been struggling on 1st and 2nd down for the most part and the passing really gave the opposing defense something to think about other than put 8 men in the box.

Happy that Sneed has been given an opportunity. He seems to thrive on doing things that QB's do. Like pass the ball and display leadership.

Go Rebels!

That late starts like this, 9pm, are rough now that I'm old with little ones.

Fun game to watch though. Something like 5 lead changes, 7 ties. Don't think anybody got up more than 7 points.
Midnight at the start here, bro...still, I would have stay up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT