ADVERTISEMENT

Good bye Hey Reb

Agreed. Those monuments are not a waste of money because in many cases they monument and the land was paid for and donated at the time of construction. Most monuments are also in many cases built to honor people that have sacrifice for their country, state, etc. One of the issues they are going to have is that many of those monuments are donated in the condition that they can't be removed, in which case a lot of lawyers will be getting involved to return the property to the family of the original owners. Also if you call them a waste of money, we can argue every public building, every park, every library, all public landscaping etc are all a waste of money.

UNLV91 - My thoughts are that they knew about the removal of the Hey Reb and other possible name changes and held off until after people renewed season tickets. I am not sure if I would have purchased the season tickets if they had mentioned it before, and I would not extend my tickets for another season until I found out what other changes they are going to make at UNLV.

Over the last few years UNLV has lost their luster in regards to my financial support.

Agreed. Those monuments are not a waste of money because in many cases they monument and the land was paid for and donated at the time of construction. Most monuments are also in many cases built to honor people that have sacrifice for their country, state, etc. One of the issues they are going to have is that many of those monuments are donated in the condition that they can't be removed, in which case a lot of lawyers will be getting involved to return the property to the family of the original owners. Also if you call them a waste of money, we can argue every public building, every park, every library, all public landscaping etc are all a waste of money.

UNLV91 - My thoughts are that they knew about the removal of the Hey Reb and other possible name changes and held off until after people renewed season tickets. I am not sure if I would have purchased the season tickets if they had mentioned it before, and I would not extend my tickets for another season until I found out what other changes they are going to make at UNLV.

Over the last few years UNLV has lost their luster in regards to my financial support.
It's hard to accept that the land where the monument known as Mt. Rushmore was actually paid for. It was actually stolen from the native American's. They would have never sold their sacred land. And on that mountain we honor at least two slave owners and nary a mention of that on that mountain. As far as public buildings, library's, parks those are all for the living. Most monuments are erected posthumously.

Don't lose your luster for UNLV in any regard. Over the years I've moved my donations around from basketball to football to volleyball and now I'm thinking the Food Pantry needs help. I'm sure there are or will be students that can't find a job right now that still need to eat.

Reactions: RebelMan5000
I don't know what is so difficult of Jefferson. The guy owned hundreds of slaves. Chisel his face off of Mt. Rushmore. Hell, the mountain wasn't created with those faces. Better yet give the land back to the native american's since it was stolen from them in the first place and let them decide what to do with it.

Jefferson was an opportunist there's no doubt. He actually worked on some legislation to end slavery. In the mean time he was capitalizing on it.

I don't want this twisted as me saying 'oh well that's just how it was back then'. Slavery was heinous.

I've mentioned this in other threads. There was a tweet last week that I found interesting.

'What if all our heroes are flawed. And that's ok, because so are we'

The Confederate states were enemies of the Republic. There's no reason to memorialize them.

Jefferson was instrumental in the Bill of Rights. Why not eliminate that? Should the declaration of independence not be discussed in schools? He was the primary author. That would do more to diminish his mark on history than removing any statue wouldn't it?

Statues are now arbitrarily being defaced, an example would be Whittier who was a leading abolitionist of his time.

Liken it to some problematic things we see in the sports world. Kansas City being the Chiefs..Not that big of a deal on the surface. They could be the Kings or the Monarchs, or Presidents or whatever position of authority you choose. A white dude in traditional native American garb leading the Tomahawk Chop cheer, kinda racist, if not racist, insensitive.

Same thing with the Braves and the Indians. Nothing particularly racist in the team names, but Chief Wahoo mascot.....I get it, why it's offensive.

Last edited:
Don't worry now they are going to remove the Roosevelt statue in front of the MY museum and it goes on and on! I get it, you don't like statues and think they should be removed. I guess it is time to get rid of the reflecting pool near the UNLV alumni center, and remove any and all other pieces of art since they are just to look at, time to remove the statue of Tark also which is next to the basketball stadium. While you are at it, I am sure we can find an offensive piece of artwork or statue in front of someones house, that needs to be torn down!

The meaning of Oklahoma in the Choctaw language is "red people." So that name should be changed too. You can probably point to any Native American memorial or statues because they too slaughtered each other & captured slaves.
The damn dems in Congress wore those kente cloths which is from an African slave traders.

You can point to EVERY race & civilization in history who has a black mark. Only this country seems to have an issue. Mostly perpetrated by today's left and media.

I don't know what is so difficult of Jefferson. The guy owned hundreds of slaves. Chisel his face off of Mt. Rushmore. Hell, the mountain wasn't created with those faces. Better yet give the land back to the native american's since it was stolen from them in the first place and let them decide what to do with it.
Hard to justify not doing it but this has to stop somewhere. That said racism was taught back then. You were raised to believe that whites were superior or blacks were inferior. IT is a lot to over come when you see it everywhere. That goes for a lot of things. Violence ,drugs and criminality it becomes a way of life.. Not saying it was alright. i am just stating facts. As for giving back the land? HELL NO! The native Americans where fighting for land back and forth also between the different tribes. How about giving the land back to Mexico?

Reactions: RebelScrub
It's the height of absurdity to judge past people by current standards.

The Chinese had established slavery from 500 BC through 1910. The Greeks had slavery for agriculture and mining. The Romans built their entire society on slavery. Nearly every American Indian tribe had slaves. There currently is an established sex slave trade throughout most of the world.

I contend that 95% of statues are of people that had something in their background that is objectionable by today's standards. So it makes sense that we rip them all down.

And let's burn the churches, and the mosques, in the synagogues.
And when we're done with all that let's rip up all the books too. And instead entrails on the ground to determine guilt. Then let's get rid of those white MD's and replace them with native American medicine men.

America is so terrible now, what do we have to lose?

It's the height of absurdity to judge past people by current standards.

The Chinese had established slavery from 500 BC through 1910. The Greeks had slavery for agriculture and mining. The Romans built their entire society on slavery. Nearly every American Indian tribe had slaves. There currently is an established sex slave trade throughout most of the world.

I contend that 95% of statues are of people that had something in their background that is objectionable by today's standards. So it makes sense that we rip them all down.

And let's burn the churches, and the mosques, in the synagogues.
And when we're done with all that let's rip up all the books too. And instead entrails on the ground to determine guilt. Then let's get rid of those white MD's and replace them with native American medicine men.

America is so terrible now, what do we have to lose?
95%? Probably more.

I wonder what Marquette went through when they changed mascots. They won their natty as the Warriors, but they're the Eagles now, and they've remained pretty good over the years.

My parents graduated from Marquette.

My father stopped giving money to the school when they changed their name/mascot. I believe a number of alumni did the same thing.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT