ADVERTISEMENT

Good bye Hey Reb

The crap logo they killed was simply a phased approach to eliminating Hey Reb anyway.

The crap logo they killed was simply a phased approach to eliminating Hey Reb anyway.
Kohl's might be able to finally sell the clearance clothes with that ridiculous logo now. Some folks will want to buy anything with the Rebels iconography (good or bad design) before it's no longer available.

...probably not though, that logo really sucked.

All they are going to do is push a lot of past fans of UNLV away from the school. I had bought tickets for UNLV football, but would have had a second thought about buying tickets if this had come out before I purchased them. There is no longer any identity to UNLV as a school which will make it much easier for past supporters to just walk away from supporting the school overall.

Reactions: unlv91
I wonder what Marquette went through when they changed mascots. They won their natty as the Warriors, but they're the Eagles now, and they've remained pretty good over the years.

Reactions: j. spilotro
The Scarlet Storm. Hella yeah!!

That fat fk hey reb needed to go for a long time. I'm okay with moving on from the Rebel name as well. If it's divisive then it's time to move to a better future.

Reactions: TomKingsley
The scarlet storm? It barely Fing rains in Las Vegas.
But there are plenty of sharks in Las Vegas, and one very important one that put UNLV on the map.

The scarlet storm? It barely Fing rains in Las Vegas.
But there are plenty of sharks in Las Vegas, and one very important one that put UNLV on the map.
San Jose Sharks, Long Beach State Sharks..... Tark the Shark was our basketball legend. We don't need to tie all our sports to a basketball legend. I'm going for something new to fit all sports.

I see us Storming the field or court in Scarlet after all our future victories.

And don't forget the reason we have all those retention basins around the valley to save your ass.

I wonder what Marquette went through when they changed mascots. They won their natty as the Warriors, but they're the Eagles now, and they've remained pretty good over the years.

I would have remained warriors but just made the mascot a Celtic Warrior...

Problem.

Solved.

That fat fk hey reb needed to go for a long time. I'm okay with moving on from the Rebel name as well. If it's divisive then it's time to move to a better future.

Dixie State until 2009 was the Rebels
Dixie State until 2016 was the Red Storm
Dixie State currently is the Trailblazers

In the late 80s they were gifted a Rebels statue by a donor... returned it to donor in 2015 (ish?).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_State_Trailblazers
https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=2053278&itype=cmsid

Probably best to stay away from Red Storm or similar and Trailblazers.

My vote goes to Sand Sharks or Desert Sharks or something along those lines.

Dixie State went from the Rebels to the Red Storm to the Trailblazers. What do we do, follow their path (well, I guess they are trailblazers)? Let's just skip the Storm and follow the UCSC route. Runnin' Chuckwallas, anyone? Our mascot could be named Hey Chuckie.

Maybe we should follow Greendale Community College's example and choose a mascot that is so inclusive it makes you sick.

The UNLV Human Beings!

jk8VafZrnhkFj8L58

Reactions: rebelwithacause
I guess it doesn't really matter since I am unlikely to ever again buy any UNLV gear for family or myself that has whatever stupid mascot they come up with now!

I guess it doesn't really matter since I am unlikely to ever again buy any UNLV gear for family or myself that has whatever stupid mascot they come up with now!
Bingo. I can't believe it took you this long to figure that out. Wasn't it in 2015 when they came up with the new ridiculous logo which everyone hated. I started then to buy only gear that says UNLV.

Dixie State until 2009 was the Rebels
Dixie State until 2016 was the Red Storm
Dixie State currently is the Trailblazers

In the late 80s they were gifted a Rebels statue by a donor... returned it to donor in 2015 (ish?).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_State_Trailblazers
https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=2053278&itype=cmsid

Probably best to stay away from Red Storm or similar and Trailblazers.

My vote goes to Sand Sharks or Desert Sharks or something along those lines.

Red Storm sucks. We aren't Red. We are Scarlet & Gray. Scarlet Storm sounds a million times better than a suck ass Red Storm.

It didn't just come to me. I have never purchased anything with the new crap logo on it and was one of those who quickly signed the petition to remove it and the petition to keep Hey Reb. Now the same group of social Nazis have run amok and are forcing us to get rid of our heritage by spreading lies that the current Hey Reb is connected to the deep south and slavery and totally ignoring the fact that they don't even care about that this mascot replaced those that did have connections to the south from almost a half century ago! Give them time and 100% of the history of this country will be removed until they have total control. Sad that 1-2% of the population is able to tell the other 99% what they can do like we are their slaves!

Playing the other side of this equation - you may not buy anymore UNLV gear, but your kids and your grand kids might, long after we're gone and removed from this world.

I got no problem with removing the mascot. I'm actually for it. Have been for a long time. UNLV was just kicking the can down the road. I'd prefer to keep the name Rebels, because it has a good meaning to it. If we cant, fine. Its a word. We can find a new one and I'll go get new license plates. There are plenty of teams with bad names out there and it doesn't seem to bother them.

I'll concede that Shark relies entirely on the back of one legendary man and with that comes incredible risk. Further, it doesn't have a whole lot to do with football, but to counter that argument, UNLV's football contributions pale in comparison to basketball. Or even the dance team for that matter. Bringing the shark back would be epic. How do you top that?

I agree the Hey Reb sucks. The chin looks like my nut sack.

Except for the few good years under Kruger the basketball at UNLV has sucked for nearly 25 years. We need a change and a fresh outlook. If the Rebel name needs to go then I'm all for moving forward. I'm not going to live my life like Uncle Rico and live in the 1980's.

I’m not too worked up about Hey Reb being out, other schools have changed mascots and names seamlessly I’m more worried about Covid’s impact on the upcoming football and basketball seasons. I have legitimate optimism for both programs and am looking forward to positive steps forward.

It looks like this entire country is turning into a bunch of cowards that are going to completely re-write and/or remove our history, our culture, and our form of government because a small percentage of the people in this country and many outsiders are using social pressure to blackmail us! George Orwell 1984 has come to pass!

Once they have finished with forcing the removal of the UNLV mascot, then they will move to the Rebel name, then the name of our Airport (they are already asking for it to be renamed), then every building on campus, then what change the name of our state, our city, etc.....

It looks like this entire country is turning into a bunch of cowards that are going to completely re-write and/or remove our history, our culture, and our form of government because a small percentage of the people in this country and many outsiders are using social pressure to blackmail us! George Orwell 1984 has come to pass!

Once they have finished with forcing the removal of the UNLV mascot, then they will move to the Rebel name, then the name of our Airport (they are already asking for it to be renamed), then every building on campus, then what change the name of our state, our city, etc.....
Harry Reid is asking for the name of the airport to be changed, AGAIN, to the Harry Reid Airport.

This time he’s using the curtain of these times to rally for that change.

You need to lay off that booze.

th

I don't really drink very often, but the last few weeks may just get me to take up the hobby! That may be what he wants, but from what I have read there is a ground swell that is saying Pat McCarran is a racist so the airport can't be named after him. Considering the destruction and vandalism of numerous U.S. Grant statutes, George Washington Statutes, Thomas Payne statues, Abraham Lincoln monument vandalized, etc, etc. it has nothing to do with racism and is all about erasing our history!

Reactions: SilverSpoon
I don't really drink very often, but the last few weeks may just get me to take up the hobby! That may be what he wants, but from what I have read there is a ground swell that is saying Pat McCarran is a racist so the airport can't be named after him. Considering the destruction and vandalism of numerous U.S. Grant statutes, George Washington Statutes, Thomas Payne statues, Abraham Lincoln monument vandalized, etc, etc. it has nothing to do with racism and is all about erasing our history!
Monuments build nothing.The character of a man is what you should be judged by.

If you remove one monument, then ultimately 100% of the monument must be removed since someone is always offended by someone!
Nobody lives their lives in hope of someday someone will build a monument of them. Monuments are a waste of money. They require maintenance. It's better to spend that money and go after the slime of the earth drug and sex traffickers.

If there is a name change and no season with fans I am tempted to ask for my money back rather than extending my tickets for another full season.

Confederate monuments should go. They were enemies of republic. .

Statues of people like Thomas Jefferson are difficult. A lot more to unwrap in cases like that.

Same with Grant or Roosevelt.

I don't know what is so difficult of Jefferson. The guy owned hundreds of slaves. Chisel his face off of Mt. Rushmore. Hell, the mountain wasn't created with those faces. Better yet give the land back to the native american's since it was stolen from them in the first place and let them decide what to do with it.

Reactions: rickyb55
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT