ADVERTISEMENT

Glaring Issues with UNLV

chitownrebel

NBA Draft Pick
Jan 11, 2005
I had been blacklisted for over a year and unable to post for a reason I couldn't even figure out but I am going to try to give a civil breakdown of all of the problems caused by UNLV and Dave Rice. Some of these are Coach Rice's fault, some are the athletic administrators fault, and some are the fault of the fans.

1st: Loyalty: UNLV is a loyal school to their alumni and want their alumni to be involved with UNLV. This is especially true of the basketball program and people from the Tarkanian era. While I was at the time a huge fan of the hire of Coach Rice, looking back, we may have been better off hiring someone outside the program. Coach Rice made a goal to emulate the style of Coach Tarkanian. Unfortunately in today's college, that style of play is difficult with advanced scouting and the fact that there are very few teams that will ever be as loaded as Coach Tark's teams. Every year we were promised "let's run" but it turned into "let's run poor half court offense." Good coaches adjust their style based on the players they have on their team. Good coaches do not all out commit to playing a certain style if they do not have the proper players to execute. One of Coach Rice's biggest downfalls is that he committed to be loyal to a style that he does not have the right players to play and does not seem competent to coach.

2nd: Roster: Dave Rice recruits two types of players. Elite 4 and 5 star high school kids and disgruntled transfers from other D1 programs. Elite 4 and 5 star high school kids have been used to being told they are "the man" for the past 3 years. Many of them have aspirations of playing professionally in the NBA or over seas. At least at UNLV, Coach Rice has seemed to have issues getting all of these elite players to play together which has resulted in poor team chemistry, poor shot selection, and players transferring. The other type of player that Coach Rice has recruited is the player who has been at another division one program and has transferred because they have been upset. It seems like many of these players bring their problems to UNLV and when they know they only have one year to play, they become selfish and make sure they get their shots every night. Combined this with a bunch of incoming freshmen who have no intention in staying for more than 1 or 2 years and we get our current roster. I would much rather have a team of 2 and 3 star guys who will stay for 4 years put together with 1 or 2 elite players. That would give us much better team chemistry. Our players are good players but they are not a good team and I don't think Dave Rice has the right leadership skills to get them to all buy in and work together.

3rd: Fan Support: UNLV fan support is great. We are in the top 25 of the nation every year in attendance and the fans are loud during the games. As long as UNLV keeps filling 12,000+ in the Thomas and Mack every year the administration will not feel the pressure to bring in an elite coach. This is UNLV. This should be a top 10 coaching job that every coach should want. Instead of bringing in an experienced, winning coach, we took a chance on an unproven head coach that we thought had potential. They were able to do this because they know that no matter what happens there will always be 12,000 people at the Thomas and Mack.

I haven't liked Dave Rice as a coach since his second year. Dave Rice is a good guy, a great recruiter, and has a great basketball mind. He tried to implement his vision but so far it has failed miserably. Some people have great minds and make great assistants but fail when it comes to leadership. Dave Rice is one of those people. Even with the hiring of Max Good UNLV was unable to fix their coaching problems. I would let Coach Rice finish the season and either accept his resignation, assign him to a different position in the athletic program, or fire him.

UNLV then needs to begin a national search that involves every candidate. We should reach high and contact coaches from major college basketball programs as well as top assistants and see who can return our program to the glory days. UNLV fans also should not be bitter towards Coach Rice. Coach Rice is a great guy, who loves this university, but unfortunately he is not the right guy for the job. While the execution of his leadership skills have been bad, it has not been due to lack of effort.

Go Rebels!

Agree with a lot of this. Only thing I don't agree with is the loyal of UNLV. It has only been since CDR was hired that we saw the university to be loyal. Ask Tark if he thought the university was loyal to him.

Reactions: ijspencer
True, sorry if I was unclear on that. I meant more since I enrolled as a student in 2002 UNLV has been loyal to their alums as well as trying to be loyal to the style and coaching methods of Coach Tark

Agree with a lot of this. Only thing I don't agree with is the loyal of UNLV. It has only been since CDR was hired that we saw the university to be loyal. Ask Tark if he thought the university was loyal to him.

Last edited:
UNLV then needs to begin a national search that involves every candidate. We should reach high and contact coaches from major college basketball programs as well as top assistants and see who can return our program to the glory days.
No one would argue with this sentiment. Just one problem. You want us to find a Coach Calipari while paying Division II prices.

OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea. Unless the school is ready to raise their offer by quite a bit, they’ll have to settle for less.

We could try to ferret out an up-and-coming assistant, on the rise. But the problem with that is, he would most-likely bolt at the first lucrative opportunity.

One of the greatest benefits to hiring Dave Rice, was his intense loyalty to his alma mater. Unfortunately, his results have not matched his desire. He would be the perfect solution, if only he could win…

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Please...the money is there. It was there to get Ben Howland last year. If the right guy is available, and we have an opening, the money will be there for a quality coach.

Reactions: ijspencer
I wouldn't want Ben Howland. Guy has no class/character

Please...the money is there. It was there to get Ben Howland last year. If the right guy is available, and we have an opening, the money will be there for a quality coach.

I agree with a lot of what you said as well.

Some thoughts I run through in my skull at times:

Kruger- fan base unhappy even though we get to tourney every year

Rice- first time head coach. Fan base in happy because they can't get to tourney ( ?? )

Fans- want an elite head coach. Think the money is somewhere to be found under a magic rock

Boosters - biggest Cliff Findlay. No Zappos guy, no Wynn, no Adelson ( boosters pay $500k to Rice)

RAF- money goes to support "all " student athletes. Can't be used to pay coaches.

Regents - will never agree to a coaches salary over $300 k at this time.

Me- where does the fan base think the money is actually going to come from

Boosters would be asked to pay at least another $1 mill additionally to get an experienced coach to meet the " fans" demands of what? What will satisfy the fans here? A Sweet 16 run year after year? What are the realistic expectations does a fan have that they want a booster to pay that kind of money for? I mean really! What will satisfy the fan base.

This is just a question. I am not trying to support Rice because I'm pissed off too. I spend a lot of money on my RAF year after year only to get frustrated. But I am also realistic.

We have a right as fans regardless of what we contribute to the basketball program to be disappointed with the direction of the team but how much money are you yourself willing to contribute to bring in a coach? Why do you expect the boosters to pay for what you are unhappy about? Seriously?

You can call UNLV and you can donate money to them. The Booster club isn't going to pony up the extra money because the "fans" want a change. But if you are all willing to put your own money forward to help pay then join the club and put your money where your mouth is.

Me personally.. I already pay over $6k a year now so I am tapped out, and I am pissed. I am trying to ask myself that very question... What do I expect from the support I give and what the team I love so much is giving back. It's a hard question to answer. I would hate for them to once again raise the price of my seats because they have to pay another coach a lot more money who may end up being only as good as Kruger and still have an unsatisfied fan base.

The struggle is real in my skull

Good UNLV basketball would pay for itself. The Rebels were pulling 15K a game 3 seasons ago now it's down to 10.9k - that's a lot money (4,100 * 500 = 2,050,000.) I think a good coach and successful program should pay for itself . TKM is bragging how her dept is in the black and that's with the decline in attendance the last couple of years. I think there is plenty money with the right coach and successful program.

I think the problem was giving Rice an extension when he hadn't proven that he could win consistently at this level. I'm a teacher and a basketball coach. I contribute less than $500 to the program each year. It's all I can afford.

All I know is if I was donating $1000s of dollars I wouldn't be happy with the current state of the program.

How much is Rice making? I was assuming it was in the $800k range. If we only paid $300k for a college basketball coach we would have one of the lowest paid coaches in the country. This is UNLV. We can find the money to hire an elite coach if it is important to the university.

I agree with a lot of what you said as well.

We have a right as fans regardless of what we contribute to the basketball program to be disappointed with the direction of the team but how much money are you yourself willing to contribute to bring in a coach? Why do you expect the boosters to pay for what you are unhappy about? Seriously?

You can call UNLV and you can donate money to them. The Booster club isn't going to pony up the extra money because the "fans" want a change. But if you are all willing to put your own money forward to help pay then join the club and put your money where your mouth is.

Me personally.. I already pay over $6k a year now so I am tapped out, and I am pissed. I am trying to ask myself that very question... What do I expect from the support I give and what the team I love so much is giving back. It's a hard question to answer. I would hate for them to once again raise the price of my seats because they have to pay another coach a lot more money who may end up being only as good as Kruger and still have an unsatisfied fan base.

The struggle is real in my skull

Last edited:
Reactions: natchampin2
Rice has a salary through the state of Nevada Regents for $300 K with an additional $100 K that's performance based. The Booster Club pays the rest. That's how almost all coaches salaries are structured. Very few schools outside of Duke and Kentucky pay the full salary.

Just because the games draw people you have to keep in mind what the money is for. Like I said above the RAF donation is only for the student athletes not for paying the coach. Ticket prices are only $28 per game so drawing large numbers doesn't actually translate into money for the coach.

Also the athletic department spreads money across all sports. it cost money to send teams to compete against other schools and a lot of those don't generate income at all so the money donations that they get from basketball goes to help pay for all other supports as well. The state used to help pay some money for the schools atheletic departments but that was severely reduced around 2010 I believe.

The only program that doesn't use athletic department money is the Golf Team. They are completely self sufficient and have a private jet to get to tournaments.

I agree with most of that with some exceptions. Some were pointed out already, but the one that wasn't was the comment that this is a top 25 job. I don't see how that is possible in today's landscape.

Let's be honest. We haven't been nationally relevant in over 20 years, we aren't in a big 6 conference, and we actually don't have the money.

It has been well documented that a good part of the boosters will only pony up the dough if "their coach" is hired. It is really hard to find a Pitino that everybody will be happy with.

Our facilities are nice, so that should help, especially with the practice facility that we didn't have access to a few years ago. That will give a good coach hope that they could recruit, but there are plenty of teams with nice facilities. Maybe somebody else could come up with some numbers on how we actually stand nationally with that, I honestly have no clue.

It sucks that we have to hope for Boise to do well in football for so much of our money, or at least we used to.

I dont want another Steve Lavin kind of guy as I don't think that will get us where we want.

Reactions: UNLVAlumni
UNLV is TOAST!!!! No chance of winning anything. Season is already over. They can't play basketball, they do not know how to execute anything inside, they can't score inside and the coach is a HOT MESS. If they win 5 more games it will be amazing, Rice should hand over the team and resign. Maybe one of the assistant can save the season, but probably not, if they lose to Wyoming, which right now they are after a 17 pont lead. It is over folks, New Mexico is hot and will destroy UNLV on Tuesday. Out coached and no effort by the players makes this team a DISASTER! All the coaches in the MWC laugh whenever they are behind us, they know that they will come back and win. Throw out a zone and shoot open 3's or drive the ball as they know we have no fundamentals, so it is either a foul or a and 1. UNLV is just a sorry team with a pathetic coach and administration. Tough to say but the truth hurts

Last edited:
The potential for unlv is there even being in a poor conference. They still land 4/5 star recruits pretty regularly. Time to fire Rice and bring in a competent coach and success will follow.

Reactions: natchampin2
Rice has a salary through the state of Nevada Regents for $300 K with an additional $100 K that's performance based. The Booster Club pays the rest. That's how almost all coaches salaries are structured. Very few schools outside of Duke and Kentucky pay the full salary.

Just because the games draw people you have to keep in mind what the money is for. Like I said above the RAF donation is only for the student athletes not for paying the coach. Ticket prices are only $28 per game so drawing large numbers doesn't actually translate into money for the coach.

Also the athletic department spreads money across all sports. it cost money to send teams to compete against other schools and a lot of those don't generate income at all so the money donations that they get from basketball goes to help pay for all other supports as well. The state used to help pay some money for the schools atheletic departments but that was severely reduced around 2010 I believe.

The only program that doesn't use athletic department money is the Golf Team. They are completely self sufficient and have a private jet to get to tournaments.

When Kruger was here the lower level for a big game was around $32. Now its more than double and the product is worse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT