ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Patterson

He did well at A&M when he had Johnny Manziel there, but any coach would have done well with Manziel at A&M. Once Manziel left then A&M was just a little better than mediocre. His time at Arizona was a disaster. I just feel it would be a very underwhelming hire. With that being said though, it could be a whole lot worse than having him coach the Rebels.

Fair.

Considering what is realistic for UNLV not sure they can do much better. Especially if Harper is dead set against hiring a coordinator.

Would not be excited by this at all, but Mike Stoops? (I know like settling for the ugliest sister).

I mean I don't think Bob is going to walk through that door.

Doubt its Orgeron. Sounding like not Patterson.

What former HCs are out there.?

Come on people. Two coaches ago we had a coach with only H.S. head coach experience. And now, a coach ( Sumlin) who never had a losing season in the most difficult conference in football isn't quite good enough? No DUI's. No story about messing with the cheerleaders. No racist slurs. No NCAA investigations. No previous contract encumbrances. ( although I'm not sure about his current pro contract.)

This is such a better hire than we normally could expect it's ridiculous. ( Normally looking at assistants with no head coaching experience, FCS coaches, coaches in their 70's or very low-level head coaches)

If we can get Sumlin we'll be lucky. ( BTW - I equally love Patterson for the same reasons, except I'm not sure about his buyout)

Come on people. Two coaches ago we had a coach with only H.S. head coach experience. And now, a coach ( Sumlin) who never had a losing season in the most difficult conference in football isn't quite good enough? No DUI's. No story about messing with the cheerleaders. No racist slurs. No NCAA investigations. No previous contract encumbrances. ( although I'm not sure about his current pro contract.)

This is such a better hire than we normally could expect it's ridiculous. ( Normally looking at assistants with no head coaching experience, FCS coaches, coaches in their 70's or very low-level head coaches)

If we can get Sumlin we'll be lucky. ( BTW - I equally love Patterson for the same reasons, except I'm not sure about his buyout)

☝️

Not that it means much, and may just add more fuel to the speculation fire, but read this on another forum. The reference was in regards to the report from Feldman earlier this week:

"Rick Neuheisel on ESPNU radio this morning made the exact same comments about UNLV as I have in this thread, and no one knows more about the Pac 12 than Rick.

He said watch for Gary Patterson at UNLV and then watch for UNLV to get a Pac 12 invite, along with San Diego State."

I was trying to find a replay of the radio show to determine context, but couldn't find one.
It's on the XM app under Full Ride.

Sounds like a basketball coach we know!

Wow, if true that sounds like a nightmare so that means it’s a done deal for UNLV.
I was waiting to see how long it would be before someone wrote that. This site is as predictable as the motion of the sun and moon.

I think the biggest thing working against Sumlin is his body of work at Arizona (Fair or not). On one hand he helped build up the Houston program and has done just as well as Jimbo Fisher has at A&M. On the other hand, Arizona was going in the wrong direction and the bulk of his success came with record setting Case Keenum at Houston and Heisman winner Manziel. Really tough to know how good he is when he doesn’t have an elite QB.

Would love to hear who guys think would be a good hire vs. who you don’t want

Guys that should at least get a call. Have no idea if they were ever contacted or not, but you at least send out feelers. No particular order.

Gary Patterson
Chris Peterson
Rich Rodriguez
Kevin Sumlin
Tom Herman (ship sailed)
Harsin
Bronco Mendenhall

I'd interview the Sacrament State HC get a feel and hold in back pocket as a last resort fallback.

K-State DC

Alex Grinch USC DC but some of the shine is off that one and not just last nights debacle, some stats that were posted earlier made me rethink that one a bit.

Morgan Scalley Utah DC although that one might be problematic.

I don't think any of those are outside the realm of possibility for UNLV. Then wanting to actually be here another story. Do Peterson and Mendenhall still want to coach? Don't know, but you make that call.

Reactions: jmcnamaraiii
Morgan Scalley who’s I originally wanted over arroyo. Utah has built that program well

Guys that should at least get a call. Have no idea if they were ever contacted or not, but you at least send out feelers. No particular order.

Gary Patterson
Chris Peterson
Rich Rodriguez
Kevin Sumlin
Tom Herman (ship sailed)
Harsin
Bronco Mendenhall

I'd interview the Sacrament State HC get a feel and hold in back pocket as a last resort fallback.

K-State DC

Alex Grinch USC DC but some of the shine is off that one and not just last nights debacle, some stats that were posted earlier made me rethink that one a bit.

Morgan Scalley Utah DC although that one might be problematic.

I don't think any of those are outside the realm of possibility for UNLV. Then wanting to actually be here another story. Do Peterson and Mendenhall still want to coach? Don't know, but you make that call.
I don’t think Rich Rod would just due to his baggage, but agree with the rest. Throw in Dan Mullen and maybe Frost or Orgeron. Heck I’d even consider June Jones (well maybe if he were younger). Stoops would definitely be the ”safe” pick, and while I think he’d be better than Arroyo, I do think there are better options.

On a side note, I was going through Mike Stoops’ coordinators while at Arizona and for 3 seasons he had Sonny Dykes as his OC and Mark Stoops as his DC. Not a bad set of coordinators. Also, Seth Littrell (N. Texas HC) was his OC after Dykes. Not that he’s done great at N Texas (44-44), but another name to monitor since he too worked with Harper.

I don’t think Rich Rod would just due to his baggage, but agree with the rest. Throw in Dan Mullen and maybe Frost or Orgeron. Heck I’d even consider June Jones (well maybe if he were younger). Stoops would definitely be the ”safe” pick, and while I think he’d be better than Arroyo, I do think there are better options.

On a side note, I was going through Mike Stoops’ coordinators while at Arizona and for 3 seasons he had Sonny Dykes as his OC and Mark Stoops as his DC. Not a bad set of coordinators. Also, Seth Littrell (N. Texas HC) was his OC after Dykes. Not that he’s done great at N Texas (44-44), but another name to monitor since he too worked with Harper.

I thought Mullen but didn't know if he had any West coast connections. Wouldn't/Shouldn't be a deal breaker but something to consider.

I thought Mullen but didn't know if he had any West coast connections. Wouldn't/Shouldn't be a deal breaker but something to consider.
He doesn’t on the surface. If had assistants who did, he’d be just fine IMO. Would have to imagine that a G5 job in a different part of country probably doesn’t appeal much to him though,

Stoops is interesting the more I’ve looked into him.

Had Zona at one point in top 10. Had multiple top 25 defenses and recruiting classes when he was there. Looks like overall he was there most successful coach in 30 something years. Recruited Rob Gronkowski and Nick Foles.

Was defensive coordinator when Oklahoma won there natty. Has coached and recruited countless nfl players. Mostly on defense.

247 named him assistant coach of year for Kentucky in 2022.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Morgan Scalley who’s I originally wanted over arroyo. Utah has built that program well
Morgan would be a great hire but will never happen. He is the next coach at Utah. It is even stated in his contract that if he us not hired as the next HC then Utah owes him a large sum. Don't know anything about other names but Morgan won't happen

Reactions: 220reb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT