ADVERTISEMENT

Garbage

RebelSoldat

Retired Number
Nov 17, 2012
Virginia
The product being offered on the court is completely unacceptable. I have zero faith in Menzies. I hope the new AD cleans house and hits the reset button with someone who can actually COACH THE GAME OF BASKETBALL for once.

The product being offered on the court is completely unacceptable. I have zero faith in Menzies. I hope the new AD cleans house and hits the reset button with someone who can actually COACH THE GAME OF BASKETBALL for once.

You can’t be serious…

nyco_rats.jpg

Go Rebels!

You must not have been around last year so I'll fill you in on a bad decision that was made by our "leadership". Last year 3 games into conference play (which is how long you've waited to make that comment for this season) we fired Dave Rice, and that was after giving him 4 years. Now you want to fire the new coach who brought in 12 new players and a new coaching staff only few months ago? Hard to take that serious when making a rash decision last year at this time is what caused this mess to start snowballing.

Not sure how any plausible assessment can be made of the current staff at this point. Though I want to see improvement this year, the key, for me, is to see where the rebels are next year and year after. At that point, it may be possible to make a reasonable assessment of the b-ball program's progress.

Making hasty ill-advised changes is what got us where we are today. Patience is the antidote for what ails us.

Reactions: Danny The Donger
I think we need to make plans to firing the next coach before we even hire him so that we can lower the level of stress that Soldat appears to be under!

Really hard to tell at this point imo....I mean I wouldn't even worry about asking that till mid way through the second season.

12 new players of which I believe half were freshman. Add basically an entire new coaching staff to boot, and sprinkle in nerves/injuries galore and we should be thanking the basketball gods that we have 8 wins right now. Just let the team age like a fine wine and add a good recruit or 2 every year. If everyone important stays then heck..... maybe in season 3 of the Menzies we win the conference and see our first bid.

Reactions: Nc2165
And a delusional fan base who still think it's 1990. Admin and boosters screwed up when they wouldn't come to the table to pay Kruger. Regardless of how you feel about him that set a precedent to other class A coaches and then the total screw up of firing a coach in mid season and this is what we get. So for now Menzies is our guy and he deserves his three or four years to show what he can do. It's not the players fault and it's not the coaches fault....it's the admin and meddling booster who created this. But I still go support this team because it's my team through thick and thin.

Reactions: 76Rebel Man
Admin and boosters screwed up when they wouldn't come to the table to pay Kruger.

For the past few seasons, when Lon had Buddy Hield leading the way, everyone here drooled as Oklahoma played it’s way to a Sweet Sixteen followed by a Final Four. We all mourned the loss of our wonderful coach. Of course, if we’re being honest, very few people around here were broken-up when Kruger opted to take the money and run to Norman. Most felt that he wasn’t a premier recruiter (like Dave Rice) and he had reached a “ceiling” at UNLV.

If we all had 20/20 hindsight, we’d have rued the day that he left. But let’s look a little closer. He no longer has his All-American, and Oklahoma basketball looks nearly as bad as The Rebels. They currently sit at the bottom of the Big 12 standings with a 6-8 record (0-3 in conference). Tonight, they host Kansas, something with which UNLV is painfully familiar. They’re coming off a 17-point home drubbing at the hands of Chris Beard’s Red Raiders, and are solid 13-point underdogs to the Jayhawks.

I’m certainly not equating The Big 12 to the Mountain West, but I’m trying to say that, without his one true thoroughbred, Kruger is having some struggles too. This is his fifth season with Oklahoma, so it shouldn’t be a rebuilding year. So maybe the canonization of Lon Kruger might be a bit premature.

sticker,375x360.u1.png

Go Rebels!

You think Menzies is going to be the guy?

Who knows? We're about halfway through the season and he started off with just 3 scholarship players...late. I think people are just saying withhold judgement until he's had a full season both coaching and recruiting and see what kind of team he has then.

For the past few seasons, when Lon had Buddy Hield leading the way, everyone here drooled as Oklahoma played it’s way to a Sweet Sixteen followed by a Final Four. We all mourned the loss of our wonderful coach. Of course, if we’re being honest, very few people around here were broken-up when Kruger opted to take the money and run to Norman. Most felt that he wasn’t a premier recruiter (like Dave Rice) and he had reached a “ceiling” at UNLV.

If we all had 20/20 hindsight, we’d have rued the day that he left. But let’s look a little closer. He no longer has his All-American, and Oklahoma basketball looks nearly as bad as The Rebels. They currently sit at the bottom of the Big 12 standings with a 6-8 record (0-3 in conference). Tonight, they host Kansas, something with which UNLV is painfully familiar. They’re coming off a 17-point home drubbing at the hands of Chris Beard’s Red Raiders, and are solid 13-point underdogs to the Jayhawks.

I’m certainly not equating The Big 12 to the Mountain West, but I’m trying to say that, without his one true thoroughbred, Kruger is having some struggles too. This is his fifth season with Oklahoma, so it shouldn’t be a rebuilding year. So maybe the canonization of Lon Kruger might be a bit premature.

sticker,375x360.u1.png

Go Rebels!
Not what I meant. My point is the administrations lack of commitment to its own program by not willing to pay a coach and firing a coach mid season sent a message to all other coaches. It's obvious why we were not even close in getting a top tier coach.

Not what I meant. My point is the administrations lack of commitment to its own program by not willing to pay a coach and firing a coach mid season sent a message to all other coaches. It's obvious why we were not even close in getting a top tier coach.
It's cause we need a new AD with cachè to turn this b ball program around if Menzies and co aren't the solution which I for one am rooting for. Is TK-M even gone yet? Have we even heard names of potential AD's??

Last edited:
They athletic department already said that TKM would stay through the end of the school year, which is ironic considering that she let Rice go in the middle of the season. They also have already hired a search firm to find a new coach, but no names have yet been provided.

They athletic department already said that TKM would stay through the end of the school year, which is ironic considering that she let Rice go in the middle of the season. They also have already hired a search firm to find a new coach, but no names have yet been provided.
**new AD

Are you rooting for Menzies and company to fail? Or to succeed? It is unclear from your post.
Menzies will be good, Look at what he did at NMSU. At least he won Conference regular season championships, something UNLV has never done in the MWC. Even under Kruger, we never won a regular season championship. He will win one in the next 3 years wait and see. Just my opinion but he is more intense than he gets credit for and the adjustment for the New Mexico game was needed. Dude knows what he is doing give him a dam chance. He could end up being the best coach we have had since Tark.

Reactions: TarkisGod
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT