ADVERTISEMENT

Official Game Thread Game thread UNLV at CSU

His pocket presence isnt great, but protection let him down and 5 drops. 2 drops would have been tough catches, the other three totally on the receivers.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
So not happy with his game. Tighter tackling, better defensive calling. We are in this game.

All fixable issues especially with depth and another recruiting class.

But still not happy. Hand it to the Rams. They played well. Offense just killed us. Pissed that we didn't put up a better fight defensively.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I said this before. I know college football has changed, and offenses are putting up ridiculous numbers. But at some point 28 points should be enough to win a game. This loss is on the defense.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I didn't post a prediction. Last time I did that was the Fresno game. Wanted so bad for these kids to win. CSU at home is tough game, tough team. Wasn't feeling it and didn't want to say t out loud (or type it).

Love these guys. Looking forward to STDSU and Wyoming. Call me crazy but I think we win both. Even with no Decker if he's not ready.

Palandech is comfortable now. You can see his confidence. Most of passes were on the money. Need receivers to make some plays. O Line needs to step up too.

Lots of good development for the young freshman. Good game to grow from. Not at all happy with the results but it's how you grow from it. Hoping that Baer learns from it as well. His play calling has been suspect since the Fresno game.

I think Deckers status is irrelevant at this point. With no bowl possibility I play Palandech and get him reps. I thought he played well tonight. The receivers let him down with at least 4 to 6 drops.

With no guarantee of getting Lagow you have to look to next year a bit. Palandech has some flaws obviously (specifically pocket awareness) but he also has shown some nice flashes as well.

I think Deckers status is irrelevant at this point. With no bowl possibility I play Palandech and get him reps. I thought he played well tonight. The receivers let him down with at least 4 to 6 drops.

With no guarantee of getting Lagow you have to look to next year a bit. Palandech has some flaws obviously (specifically pocket awareness) but he also has shown some nice flashes as well.
If our receivers make the 6 drops, UNLV would have been in the game. Maybe a chance to win.

Like what I'm seeing from Palandech. Decker is suspect to inconsistent passing and he's averaging 1:1 td's to interceptions. Now that Palandech is more comfortable I don't see how you don't go with him.

It's almost like Baer anticipates the absolute opposite of what the opposing team executes.
This was not his best night for sure.

I think the issues for the defense could be broke down into four categories.

1) Bad calls/alingment. Couple plays where backs or the TE weren't accounted for and wide open.
2) Poor execution by the players. There were at least 10 plays where we were in position to hold plays to negative, no or minimal gain and missed tackles. Getting off blocks was an issue as well.
3)This defense is still predominantly the same guys as last years defense which in all honesty was awful. Talent is still an issue. Its getting better, but not there yet.
4) CSU executed well. Sometimes the other guys are just better.

Last edited:
Reactions: LasVegasReb
Defense has been suspect since they loaded the box against Fresno with 7 to block the run and got beat with the short pass for a td. Its like Baer/ the defense lost its mojo. I m worried since we're losing our safeties and mlb who have pretty much been the most consistent.

Reactions: DocRebel
Defense has been suspect since they loaded the box against Fresno with 7 to block the run and got beat with the short pass for a td. Its like Baer/ the defense lost its mojo. I m worried since we're losing our safeties and mlb who have pretty much been the most consistent.

I made this same comment to the group of people I was watching the game with. Ever since the Fresno game this defense has not been right. Something has changed with them attitude-wise. What started out promising for such a nice stretch of games has now become a mistake-filled unit unable to impose its will.They've treaded backwards while the offense has gradually improved (when Decker's been healthy).

Reactions: RebelinWA
Sanchez mentioned the defense was a tired unit. Maybe there are a few injuries we don't know about. Maybe there are guys playing while hurt. Honestly the defense needs the off season to recharge. Depth and talent will always be an issue, but I think the guys are just past their limits. I saw enough flashes of good to say its better than before. A full off season and spring will do the guys good.

Depth has been an issue all year. Baer has done a really good job this year with what he had to work with. This is still not a particularly talented group. It is pretty much the same guys as last year. Early on we were able to hide some glaring issues, with effort, schemes and play calling. The reality is talent tends to win out over the long haul. We have some really promising guys on defense just not enough of them yet.

I think where this holds true is how many plays last night did it look we had it held for no or minimal game? That is an issue of talent/execution not coaching. This doesn't mean Baer had a great night either. Just that he is probably getting everything he can out of what he has.

I will say I thought they should have floated more coverage Higgins way. He was having his way with whoever was covering him. And there were two plays where TEs or a RB was left unaccounted for, which we have rarely seen all year.

Last edited:
Sanchez mentioned the defense was a tired unit. Maybe there are a few injuries we don't know about. Maybe there are guys playing while hurt. Honestly the defense needs the off season to recharge. Depth and talent will always be an issue, but I think the guys are just past their limits. I saw enough flashes of good to say its better than before. A full off season and spring will do the guys good.
I think with a couple more recruiting classes the overall talent will get better. The drop from our 1s to our 2s wont be so significant.

Agreed. Hopefully there is a stronger option at QB next season. Even if there is, Palendech is going to be a backup, which is a valuable position. So the more real reps he gets, the better off UNLV is for the future.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Agreed. Hopefully there is a stronger option at QB next season. Even if there is, Palendech is going to be a backup, which is a valuable position. So the more real reps he gets, the better off UNLV is for the future.
I think there is enough to work with, with Palandech. Obviously hope we get an upgrade, at that position but I think he could make a similar jump to what Caleb made his senior year. Things clicked for him and the game slowed down. Palandech has some physical tools that can't be denied. Great speed and elusiveness with a good arm. He just needs some better pocket awareness and improved accuracy/touch on his throws.

Last edited:
I think there is enough to work with, with Palandech. Obviously hope we get an upgrade, at that position but I think he could make a similar jump to what Caleb made his senior year. Things clicked for him and yhe game slowed down. Palandech has some physical tools that can't be denied. Great speed and elusiveness with a good arm. He just needs some better pocket awareness and improved accuracy/touch on his throws.
The touch is awful at times. I don't think UNLV was gonna win yesterday because it was a punch for punch thing and the defense wasn't going to get enough stops to win. But when the game was still in hand, Palendech missed a couple connections for big gains that would have worked with just a decent pass. But they weren't close.

Of course, with all the damn drops, that didn't help.

The touch is awful at times. I don't think UNLV was gonna win yesterday because it was a punch for punch thing and the defense wasn't going to get enough stops to win. But when the game was still in hand, Palendech missed a couple connections for big gains that would have worked with just a decent pass. But they weren't close.

Of course, with all the damn drops, that didn't help.
Yeah don't get me wrong he has some flaws. His touch isnt great and he missed two throws. But there were 6 other plays that maybe I shouldn't classify as 'drops' but guys didn't come up with catches.

This game aside, in both of his starts Palandech has put 28 points on the board. Even in todays high flying high scoring college football 28 points has to be enough once in awhile. I thought it unfair that people spent more time blasting Palandech for not moving the ball late, but nobody pointed out in both those games UNLV had double digit leads the defense failed to hold.

Trust me I hope we land a QB in recruiting that can come in and win the job. I just don't think Palandech is nearly as bad as some people think. I think there is some talent/ability to work with.

Depth has been an issue all year. Baer has done a really good job this year with what he had to work with. This is still not a particularly talented group. It is pretty much the same guys as last year. Early on we were able to hide some glaring issues, with effort, schemes and play calling. The reality is talent tends to win out over the long haul. We have some really promising guys on defense just not enough of them yet.

I think where this holds true is how many plays last night did it look we had it held for no or minimal game? That is an issue of talent/execution not coaching. This doesn't mean Baer had a great night last. Just that he is probably getting everything he can out of what he has.

I will say I thought they should have floated more coverage Higgins way. He was having his way with whoever was covering him. And there were two plays where TEs or a RB was left unaccounted for, which we have rarely seen all year.
I was wondering if this was the case or not (play calling based on personnel or the lack there of). Blaming the playing calling of the coach is an easy excuse but obviously more goes into play calling than just anticipating opponents play. I'm still learning in regards to this.

I was wondering if this was the case or not (play calling based on personnel or the lack there of). Blaming the playing calling of the coach is an easy excuse but obviously more goes into play calling than just anticipating opponents play. I'm still learning in regards to this.
Its like anything else the truth probably lands somewhere in between. Defensive execution was not great for this game. Guys couldn't get off blocks and the tackling was poor. That falls squarely at the feet of the players. But there were a couple of plays where guys were unaccounted for and that falls more on scheme/coaching. (Unless defenders were not reading their keys properly) I thought some extra help should have been put on Higgins. But its easy for me to say sitting on my couch drinking beer.

We lack overall depth and talent at this point. It's already better than last year but not as good as it needs to be to get us over the hump yet. Baer is doing a decent job with what he has, which is essentially the same guys as last years defense which was downright awful. You can only do so much with scheme, talent typically wins out in the end. If you don't have the guys to get to a spot to make a play or when they are in the right place but cant finish a play, not much else you can do. I think Baer was able to hide/cover up some of our deficiencies for a while. Now those deficiencies are getting exposed a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT