ADVERTISEMENT

FootballScoop says...

More from FootballScoop:
UNLV: Per source, Idaho linebackers coach Eric Brown is leaving to join the UNLV staff.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Ouch. I don't like losing Garrison. Not gonna lie, I felt like he should have replaced Barney this offseason, or been given some other type of promotion along with an OC change. I don't have knowledge that he would be a great OC, but there's just something about him that makes him seem like he'll be a HC sooner than later. Wish him the best.

First inkling I had of this was seeing FAU highlights retweeted by Garrison when I was looking at my Twitter timeline early this morning. I think we knew Garrison had higher aspirations and we'd lose him soon, but I thought we had one more season with him anyway. Oh well, good luck to him and Go Rebs!

Probaly trying to latch on to Lane Kiffin. If they have another season like they did last year then a power conference school will come calling for Lane.

Reactions: LocoRebel
... I felt like he should have replaced Barney this offseason, or been given some other type of promotion along with an OC change. ....

Oh for God's sake....This was expected. We were lucky to get John in the first place and it was entirely because of Barney. John turned down a hundred grand more a year to coach OLs at a power 5 program so he could continue to learn under Barney at UNLV. Barney got him to stay another year by getting him promoted to rushing coordinator.
Barney taught John how to coach OLs from the very beginning when he was his GA at Nebraska. Barney had John promoted from GA to TE & OL coach at Nebraska which is rarely done at a Blue Blood program. He taught John how to implement the right blocking scheme to match up with the offense and the specific abilities of the OLs on the team, how to recruit, how to game plan and was working with him on coordinating.
John is going to become a great coordinator and, perhaps, HC some day but he's not even close to being ready to take the place of his mentor who took one of the worst rushing offenses and worst offenses in the nation to turn them around to be where they are now even with an inept defense and pathetic special teams.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Probaly trying to latch on to Lane Kiffin. If they have another season like they did last year then a power conference school will come calling for Lane.
It's a long story but it goes way back at Nebraska where Monty Kiffin played and was the first great DC at Nebraska. Monte's other son, Chris, is the DC at FAU. Chris worked at Nebraska while John was there and they are good friends. He really doesn't know Lane but Lane knows Barney and vice-a-versa. The fact that Lane might get a power 5 gig is just frosting on the cake to go along with all the extra $$$$$ he is going to get paid while filling up his resume for his next big job.

And there will be more big jobs in John's future. My dream is that he comes back to be our OC after Barney retires when we are a contender in the PAC 14 Championship. Hey. It's my dream and I'm keeping it for now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT