ADVERTISEMENT

FireKruger.com

rebelwithacause

Rebel Legend
Mar 27, 2002
Is that web address still available? Lot's of unhappy fans because of the record.

We have a good team -

Just wait - I think it gets better.

I cant wait until the BIG GUARD matches up with Matt Bradley and introduces himself -- the Future of the MW - he is a player - He has SWAG - we have a team

Ya better schedule some time off during Championship Week.

Happy Humpday

We do have a good team. If you watch critically the Iowa State vs Kansas State game. Otz is a hell of a coach. The plays he ran here are the same at ISU. The difference is 6'4 guards who are wide and strong. Similar to Gilbert, Nowell, Hall, Parquet, Rodriquez, and Harkless. Do we move as much and set some double screens in the post for the driving guard. Not yet, but Nowell was smooth and Gilbert played better with him in the game. The team is beginning to jell even with Iwaukor as the designated shot blocker. This team is a lot like a Big 12 team, i.e. Baylor, ISU in the way we play defense. A lot of the same designs but the players are too small as of yet especially Webster and Mc Graw. Even Wyo's players know to take Webster to the hole and he backs off consistently. Is it because he got used to Muoka covering up for him. I don't know just a trend I have seen since the losing streak.

Calm down, we beat Wyoming who has 6 wins.
Didn't say we are capable of beating Nevada, SDSU, BSU etc. We don't have a inside presence. We are two years away from having a Big 12 roster. That type of team has and will continue to lose to Purdue, Tennessee, Gonzaga. Not to mention the rest of the SEC. The Big 12 will also probably lose to Arizona in the Great 8 too this year. But my biases are showing. Just a ex coach, referee, season ticket holder who has been to Tark's practices, Lon's practices, Bayno' s etc. We have a ways to go.

All teams light it up from 3 on us as we give them all day to shoot out there. Last night's game would have been lost because of it also except that we had a good offensive night.

We don't have a "good" team. There are alot of flaws exploited by every coach in MW so far. What we have is a solid team that works hard, but they lack size and consistency to beat teams unless they're getting an extra 20 possessions a game. Good teams don't lose to Fresno or CSU- see good teams in MW, Boise, SDSU...

Coaching in the MW is strong. Many solid coaches and a few retreads from P5 schools where they had some success but not consistently. So no wonder that they game plan against us much better than non conference foes.

Reactions: RebelScrub
Didn't say we are capable of beating Nevada, SDSU, BSU etc. We don't have a inside presence. We are two years away from having a Big 12 roster. That type of team has and will continue to lose to Purdue, Tennessee, Gonzaga. Not to mention the rest of the SEC. The Big 12 will also probably lose to Arizona in the Great 8 too this year. But my biases are showing. Just a ex coach, referee, season ticket holder who has been to Tark's practices, Lon's practices, Bayno' s etc. We have a ways to go.
In two years, we won’t have anybody on the current roster on that future roster.

Reactions: UNLVINMD
I see Gilbert as a four year player. Hall should be 3 or 4.

Will see if either happen.

I could see IC sticking around for two healthy seasons after this one.

Reactions: RRebel
So I’m confused, two posts back you just said we have a good team. Then this posts accurately contends that we can’t beat anyone currently. Objectively, on a mountain west level, We do not have a good team.

So I’m confused, two posts back you just said we have a good team. Then this posts accurately contends that we can’t beat anyone currently. Objectively, on a mountain west level, We do not have a good team.
Yes, a good team, lacking interior height. I have said this from before the season began. Without Isaiah we are losing 8 boards a game and about 14 points on offense. Plus an inside presence which would allow more penetration from Harkless. Also not using Shane Nowell at point guard hurt us. He was a point in High School and has better handles than Keshon. I would also have used Parquet as point. Nevertheless, we lost at SJSU on turnovers in OT, lost at USU on charging call on Big Guard, lost in last few minutes at FSU and ot disaster w/CSU. These are errors of commission which can be corrected. Next up, Big Guard has gotten in shape and now does not try to dunk and just banks it in. Nowell has that swag that we need to see on the court as our announcer Terry alludes to. I also think and have seen Nowell push it up the court as an instinctual pass and sees the court well.

Yes, a good team, lacking interior height. I have said this from before the season began. Without Isaiah we are losing 8 boards a game and about 14 points on offense. Plus an inside presence which would allow more penetration from Harkless. Also not using Shane Nowell at point guard hurt us. He was a point in High School and has better handles than Keshon. I would also have used Parquet as point. Nevertheless, we lost at SJSU on turnovers in OT, lost at USU on charging call on Big Guard, lost in last few minutes at FSU and ot disaster w/CSU. These are errors of commission which can be corrected. Next up, Big Guard has gotten in shape and now does not try to dunk and just banks it in. Nowell has that swag that we need to see on the court as our announcer Terry alludes to. I also think and have seen Nowell push it up the court as an instinctual pass and sees the court well.
I agree that we would be better with Cottrell. He is out and that’s part of why we are not a good team. I believe in gathering high talent and forming the chemistry from there. That’s why I do wish we would have been playing Nowell more often. I never heard why he’s been in the doghouse but I guess you have to speculate it’s attitude. Will he be back next year? Three weeks ago Hall was speculated to be gone too. I hope we can keep the core of this team and add some key impact pieces. Next year needs to be the year to make a jump. This year is toast.

"Without Isaiah we are losing 8 boards a game and about 14 points on offense."

Where did this come from?

Last year in a full season at WVA he got 3 Rebounds and 4 points a game.

"Without Isaiah we are losing 8 boards a game and about 14 points on offense."

Where did this come from?

Last year in a full season at WVA he got 3 Rebounds and 4 points a game.
He was playing in arguably the toughest conference in basketball. Look at Williams and hamm last year. Came from Texas and their numbers improved. His will too

He was playing in arguably the toughest conference in basketball. Look at Williams and hamm last year. Came from Texas and their numbers improved. His will too
Agree they will improve. But they won't triple.

Agree they will improve. But they won't triple.
Both hamm and Williams stats quadrupled. No reason to believe Cottrell can’t score 14 a game. If hall can score double digits against MW teams as a freshman Cottrell could also.

Both hamm and Williams stats quadrupled. No reason to believe Cottrell can’t score 14 a game. If hall can score double digits against MW teams as a freshman Cottrell could also.
My point here is you don't know about transfers. You can add points that "would " have been there if only.......

JJ has regressed. Parquet is the same. McCabe the same. Others on this team have improved. Nobody on this team has tripled their production.

Perhaps Cottrell was the key, but nothing in his background says so.

My point here is you don't know about transfers. You can add points that "would " have been there if only.......

JJ has regressed. Parquet is the same. McCabe the same. Others on this team have improved. Nobody on this team has tripled their production.

Perhaps Cottrell was the key, but nothing in his background says so.
Who was the 6th man from Utah that played for the Rebels a few years back? We swore we were getting an impact player based upon his impact with Utah and then dropping down to conferences to play for us. Tillman, I think.

I wouldn’t say he was a complete dud but nowhere near what we expected/hoped for. You could say the same about that Jenkins kid. No, not bad, put up huge numbers previously and was exposed as completely limited and one dimensional, easily guardable, here. We get Stanback and Moser from UCLA, they did squat there, even though they were highly lauded in HS, they came here and were reliable mainstays.

You just don’t know. You cross your fingers and hope.

I think it’s laughable to suggest those would be the numbers, both offense and rebounding. Those are all conference numbers.
Isaiah was coming off a ACL. He only played a few minutes a game in a WV offense dominated by guard play. Isaiah's game is top of the key 3 pointers and diving to the hole. No one in MW has his agility at 6'11" except SDSU.

Cottrell Career
He played 33 games in 21-22 and was not an especially good 3-point shooter. Liability at the free-throw line.

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

Reactions: bcvegaspt
If we have a massive hire lined up, don't bother. We never learn our lesson, all replacement does is buy unlv more time and excuses. Made our bed, now lie in it. Get off your asses and formulate a real plan and hire.

On the flip side, football I feel different than I ever have, so who knows anymore. This school just straight f-ing confuses me...

Cottrell Career
He played 33 games in 21-22 and was not an especially good 3-point shooter. Liability at the free-throw line.

Certainly not a banger, either. Finesse. Not a good fit for WVU style anyway.

He definitely help us, a lot. His length alone helps us.

But 14 and 8 easy?

Cottrell Career

Hadn't seen these stats, but I still say based on what coaches said at WVU he has huge upside. From what I watched at WVU, it was a play by the seat of your pants offense that season as most commentators described the guard oriented one on one system

Last edited:
But 14 and 8 easy?
I think if he gave us 8 and 5 i'd be ecstatic. That's probably 3 more wins at least

14 and 8 are a little less than what Udeze is averaging for the Lobos and he's going to be 1st team all conference, newcomer of the year, and a shot at player of the year. It's certainly the 2nd best big man numbers in the conference, better than Funk and Akin for USU, Baker for Nevada, Degenhart for Boise and Moore from Fresno. Definitely would be at the front of all-conference F.

Another thing people forget when projecting is that 14 and 8 wouldn't just be a gross increase, it most likely would mean a few other guys numbers would be decreased. Only so much you can do with total possessions and pace

I think if he gave us 8 and 5 i'd be ecstatic. That's probably 3 more wins at least

14 and 8 are a little less than what Udeze is averaging for the Lobos and he's going to be 1st team all conference, newcomer of the year, and a shot at player of the year. It's certainly the 2nd best big man numbers in the conference, better than Funk and Akin for USU, Baker for Nevada, Degenhart for Boise and Moore from Fresno. Definitely would be at the front of all-conference F.

Another thing people forget when projecting is that 14 and 8 wouldn't just be a gross increase, it most likely would mean a few other guys numbers would be decreased. Only so much you can do with total possessions and pace
I think we all do it. When we’d get a 4 star out of HS, a rotation player from a bigger school … a starter with numbers from another school. I swear, we almost always double what the numbers end up being. We get stars in our eyes, only consider potential positives.

Finesse guys do not play much under Huggy bear at WVU. I knew the dad of a big kid that set scoring records here in Minnesota and could really really shoot. Went to WVU and did not play much. So maybe Cotrell is better than he showed at WVU as KK will give him a chance?

When are we going to discuss extending KK? Texas will be searching for a new coach and he’s got this team winning again! Two straight against the power programs of the MWC!

I just hope that no NBA openings come up soon. We can’t outbid them.

When are we going to discuss extending KK? Texas will be searching for a new coach and he’s got this team winning again! Two straight against the power programs of the MWC!

I just hope that no NBA openings come up soon. We can’t outbid them.
2 in a row, extend him, he’s the next Tark. 2 in a row, we are a complete team with all conference players. 2 in a row, we should be ranked. 2 in a row, which NCAA seed are we going to get?

Fast forward, after we lose 2 in a row again. Fire Kruger, Vegas has tons of money, we can surely get Pitino. Lose 2 in a row, these players all suck, we need to replace 13 players next season. Lose 2 in a row, this is stopping us from getting in the P12. Lose 2 in a row, we should play in the Cox, implode the Mack …

Many people have zero nuance.

Finesse guys do not play much under Huggy bear at WVU. I knew the dad of a big kid that set scoring records here in Minnesota and could really really shoot. Went to WVU and did not play much. So maybe Cotrell is better than he showed at WVU as KK will give him a chance?
That’s a possibility. Can be himself and get minutes and contribute without being something he isn’t. I still don’t see him for a gaudy 14/8 though.

I believe there was some family connection to WVU for him anyway and that was the reason he went there initially.

That’s a possibility. Can be himself and get minutes and contribute without being something he isn’t. I still don’t see him for a gaudy 14/8 though.

I believe there was some family connection to WVU for him anyway and that was the reason he went there initially.
A huge guy that can score sure would fit nice on this team.

Is he redshirting or it’s still undecided?

A huge guy that can score sure would fit nice on this team.

Is he redshirting or it’s still undecided?
Can’t imagine them bringing him back and ruining a season for him. Even if he were “ready” to come back, you aren’t in game condition, aren’t at speed/reaction condition, would probably eat up another couple/three weeks of floor time before he was fully acclimated. And then you get into the minutes aspect and getting in sync with different lineups, them learning your game as well as you learning theirs. Unless he’s way, way ahead of what we know, seems like it would be unfair across the board.

That said … there’s a lot of other things to consider too. We don’t know alot, we aren’t behind closed doors.

Let’s say we were on the brink of a bid, legitimately chasing it … not pipe dreaming it … and what he brings is enough and he’s close to ready … and he can accept whatever role the coaches gave him and the rest could accept their redfined/reduced role (for some), yeah, I could see a coach taking a shot if the kid was agreeable to it …

Reactions: AnthemRebel
Agree completely.

If the best-case comes true I hope he plays. It’s hard for me to imagine him still here 3 years from now, so saving the year just doesn’t seem as valuable

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT