ADVERTISEMENT

Don't know what you guys thought

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
It was pretty much like every other exhibition. Sloppy at times, some good things, some bad things, some boring things, some exciting things.

The opponent was as bad as I've seen in the Mack. You'd expect with the small make up of that team and that they supposedly like to get up and down that they'd be at least decent shooters. They were horrific shooters. Wide open jumpers that were airballs. Not quick, not especially skilled. Just a bad basketball team. And I think that in itself had some impact because the Rebels saw that early on and I think they went through the motions for the most part.

Clyburn is extremely likeable. The type of player I love (do it all, slinky, versatile, no stat column is immune, very active).... he's going to be fun to watch. I thought by far, he was the highlight of the evening. He's sort of similar to Derrick from last year, but not as athletic with a much smoother jumper. He's a pretty silky player whereas Derrick was explosive and unorthodox but effective.

I like the work Jones does too. He's the type I've always been drawn to as a player. Unfortunately he's undersized but he makes the most of it and isn't afraid to do the blue collar work.

Green I thought was improved a bit. Still would like to see him slim a bit. He's pretty much similar to what I saw in practices last year, this year he's going to have an opportunity.

Uche Ofoegbu - eh, nothing great, nothing too bad. A couple stupid turnovers. But the team overall with turnovers, much better than I anticipated. Then again, there was zero pressure and most of the turnovers were unforced and some were just terrible and led directly to easy points.

I thought Poyser was decent overall, pretty much what we expected and have seen in the past. Loaded with scorers potential, as we all know. Terrible defender, which we all knew. It hasn't improved a lick, he's Mr. Ole on defense. But he wasn't the only guard like that. Wesleyan, very slow and unathletic, was able to take our defenders multiple times. Very, very weak perimeter defense. If it ends up an Achilles' Dembele (DNP) might set a record for shot blocks in a game because he's going to be busy down there.

Bush, won't see the floor much in regular season IMO. I expected alot more out of Morgan's game, I wasn't impressed with his first showing. I thought Troy showed a few things, had problems with a lot of things, but you can see some potential with him. He'll have bumps in the road but because of the need for him, he'll smooth those out sooner than later.

Mooring was better than I expected and I estimate he will be relied upon quite a bit. One to keep an eye on, I think.

Georgie looks a redshirt and a year or two away from making a contribution, but he didn't play much so it's tough to say. But I think there's a reason he didn't get a ton of time tonight or even in Puerto Rico. Even though he was in there briefly, aside from gobbling up a quick few rebounds, he kinda stood out in a "which one of these don't belong" sort of way. I suspect there are probably some teaching/language/concept issues at this point.

Of course, without Dembele and Dwayne, we still don't know what we have. I suspect they'll both be in the top 8 of the rotation, so that's 25% of your contributing players right there. Plus, hard to glean anything of huge importance with such poor competition possible causing a general lack of urgency.

Anyway, it's what I saw.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News