ADVERTISEMENT

Day after….

Rosegreen1

Lottery Pick
Dec 2, 2023
The loss sucks but putting things into perspective…

-Unlv football has been on a meteoric rise. We are 2-1 vs p4 teams and the lone loss was in OT. In two short years, we’ve shown we belong at the P4 level.

- National media has been talking a lot about unlv the last two weeks. Lots of eyeballs on unlv, aside from Utah Tech game, we’ve been on national tv for every game.

- there’s some guys on unlv that WILL play on Sundays.

- CBO’s staff got a lot of attention this year, especially last night. It will be interesting to see what happens down the road, they are young coordinators and that alone will appeal to other schools.

- Recruiting should be much easier now that some barriers have been blown up and the fact unlv has a winning culture now. The loss sucks, it hurts but in years past it would’ve just been another game. CBO changed the mentality and culture here. Recruits will notice that immediately and want to be part of it.

- 31.5k is a good showing for Friday night. We need to get to 40k to get the p4’s attention. The average attendance for p4 is something like 41k. So we’re close but we need to be better on attendance. Certainly better than where we were under Sanchez and Arroyo with 15-18k diehards, sometimes less than that.

-Unlv football has been on a meteoric rise. We are 2-1 vs p4 teams and the lone loss was in OT. In two short years, we’ve shown we belong at the P4 level.

- National media has been talking a lot about unlv the last two weeks. Lots of eyeballs on unlv, aside from Utah Tech game, we’ve been on national tv for every game.

- CBO’s staff got a lot of attention this year, especially last night. It will be interesting to see what happens down the road, they are young coordinators and that alone will appeal to other schools.

- Recruiting should be much easier now that some barriers have been blown up and the fact unlv has a winning culture now. The loss sucks, it hurts but in years past it would’ve just been another game. CBO changed the mentality and culture here. Recruits will notice that immediately and want to be part of it.

- 31.5k is a good showing for Friday night. We need to get to 40k to get the p4’s attention. The average attendance for p4 is something like 41k. So we’re close but we need to be better on attendance. Certainly better than where we were under Sanchez and Arroyo with 15-18k diehards, sometimes less than that.

100%

We all know Marion will get some looks. Scherer will be tied to Odom's hip until he gets a HC gig.

We sat next to these guys, and the guy holding the flag was THE most obnoxious guy you'll ever see at a game. Spit on everyone within a 3 seat radius of him. His own Syracuse fan base couldn't stand him. Thanks to these jackasses, this was the most painful game I've ever witnessed.

image000000-jpg.245622

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
We sat next to these guys, and the guy holding the flag was THE most obnoxious guy you'll ever see at a game. Spit on everyone within a 3 seat radius of him. His own Syracuse fan base couldn't stand him. Thanks to these jackasses, this was the most painful game I've ever witnessed.

image000000-jpg.245622

There's always 'that' guy. Always.

The loud obnoxious 'tough guy'

Schnockered on 8 Ultras and 10 jello shots.

Everything 'sucks'. Our QB sucks your QB sucks, the refs suck, the play calling sucks, this stadium sucks, the bathrooms suck, coaches suck,. Super aggressive cheering in people's faces.

Last edited:

image000000-jpg.245622
Where are their women? Hiding in shame probably.

I have a little photo album from when I had a spot in WSU's RV lot - right across the street from the stadium. Win or lose, always full and a huge party scene for two days. My album has nothing but pictures of me and hot Coug chicks and the occasional opposing female fans. Fun times.........

I think you hit some of the things we need to keep in mind when analyzing. It's a tough loss, but there were good things to take from it--most notably things which are actionable.

* We have ground to stand on with some of the calls in the game, but we had several big calls that hurt us which were simply lack of discipline in front of a flag happy ACC crew.

* Cuse came out with a dink and dunk philosophy with an accurate QB on offense. This kept them in a positive down and distances and let them mix up route trees and let the run be effective enough that you had to honor it. We also ran a TON of zone blitz packages and not only did they fail. to get pressure, but they also left big holes for routes to fill in. In addition we were trying to show a lot of base package and trying to fall into some match-up stuff, but we were asking JW7 to come from the opposite side of the formation and try to cover Gadsden for way too long. Those long corner (they're probably actually in book as posts since they were coming all the way across the formation) only work with a ton of time for the QB. Which in general, the Orange had. I would have liked to see us run a little more man and a little more cover zero looks.

* I don't know if any DL people were watching us close, but the number of times we tried to spin move into a double team and ended up with our DL facing the play side while trying to backpedal a pass rush was ridiculous. I'm sure they were tired, but it happened all night.

* Unfortunately, the GoGo's philosophy doesn't lend itself to complimentary football when the other team has a 2:1 TOP and plays from scrimmage advantage. Our legs were gone on defense in the 4th quarter. Especially when you're asking your front to pass rush and backfield to cover for 65+ snaps a game. We snapped the ball early on every drive--even the last one.

* Getting the ball at the 35 with 27 seconds and 3 TOs and taking a knee is super cowardly under normal circumstances, but with our defense all on oxygen just giving them an extra 5 minutes of rest trying to get a field goal seems like the right call. We never would have made that call last year, so I'm not sure why we did here--but coaches are human and can make mistakes.

* Cuse was ready for the triple option, and took it away pretty early. Their DL did a really nice job of keeping their gap integrity and stayed really fresh with the TOP discrepancy. However, if you watch the tape, Syracuse is constantly 8 in the box with a cover 2 or cover 3 back end...stop the run, stop the long throws. So I undertsand that some of your playcalling is dictated on what they're showing, but sometimes you just have to strong on strong and see if you can win. I think that idea is part of why Marion struggles in the red zone this year. He just gets too cute or too vanilla.

* We absolutely can't start down 14-0 over and over again and expect to beat good teams. We can't start down 14 AND then give up 17 unanswered from the last drive of the first half to the third quarter.

Last edited:
We all know Marion will get some looks. Scherer will be tied to Odom's hip until he gets a HC gig.
CBO said Scherer had some offers to leave last summer, whether that’s DC job at a p4 or even a HC somewhere indicates people know about him enough. He’s called a game at the SEC level when Odom left and Odom has said Scherer is the one running the defense and devising the game plans week to week.

image000000-jpg.245622
They were probably in the tank, probably from the syracusfan board.

* Getting the ball at the 35 with 27 seconds and 3 TOs and taking a knee is super cowardly under normal circumstances, but with our defense all on oxygen just giving them an extra 5 minutes of rest trying to get a field goal seems like the right call. We never would have made that call last year, so I'm not sure why we did here--but coaches are human and can make mistakes.
Agreed. I just think it was such a high intensity game that the coaches were fatigued mentally, just needed more time to make the calls, but then again that is what those timeouts are for and you bring up a good point that even if you failed, the defense gets an extra 5-10 minutes to rest.

Again it never works. I remember the Denver Broncos pulling that with their best offense ever in nfl history, and the Ravens ended up winning the playoff game and winning the Super Bowl down the line.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
They were probably in the tank, probably from the syracusfan board.

That guy 100% has a t-shirt with cut off sleeves under his jersey professing how much he loves boobs and beer.

He 100% rage posts on their boards about everything. Lots of exclamation points and capitalized words to make sure you know just how mad he is...

I'd bet a thousand bucks on it.

That guy 100% has a t-shirt with cut off sleeves under his jersey professing how much he loves boobs and beer.

He 100% rage posts on their boards about everything. Lots of exclamation points and capitalized words to make sure you know just how mad he is...

Don’t forget his team has gotten jobbed by the refs in every loss since 1973.

We did sit 3 rows back in enemy territory (thanks Rebel-Luv!), but I will say that not all of their fans were insufferable POS. The majority were just regular people - and we had a nice convo with a couple ladies behind us.

And believe me, they KNOW they got lucky to escape with a win. Many stated so after the game.

We did sit 3 rows back in enemy territory (thanks Rebel-Luv!), but I will say that not all of their fans were insufferable POS. The majority were just regular people - and we had a nice convo with a couple ladies behind us.

And believe me, they KNOW they got lucky to escape with a win. Many stated so after the game.

Ok how close was I in describing that buffoon. ?

I go to a fair amount of UNLV away games. I always try and target the dudes around me that I know are going to talk smack and likely be aggressive.

I would absolutely assume he would be that guy just looking at him.

I kid you not for the Ohio State game I sat next to that guys doppelganger.

Before kickoff he says ' You ready for some BIG10 big boy football'..

I said 'Man I have no delusions of what's about to happen.' 'I m just here to support my team and happy about a trip to see one of the Cathedral of college football stadiums'.

First play for UNLV we get sacked. He jumps all in my grill 'Welcome to BIG 10 FOOTBALL!'

I said buddy it's probably going to happen another 10 times you can get it all out now.

Next series same thing starts waving his flag around me doing the big brother I'm not touching you but I'm 100% being an ass.

Lasted till third quarter before the 9 White Claws kicked in and he stumbled to the bathroom never to return.

• Haha
Reactions: RebelinWA

Wait - are you talking about a Syracuse fan or Meister?

Kinda surprised there were no fisticuffs in the stands. Weren't any Raiders fans in attendance in UNLV gear?

Totally unrelated to this topic, but I remember one WSU game where this drunken pissed off Dad punched - his own son in the face! Needless to say he was carted off.

Wait - are you talking about a Syracuse fan or Meister?

Kinda surprised there were no fisticuffs in the stands. Weren't any Raiders fans in attendance in UNLV gear?

Totally unrelated to this topic, but I remember one WSU game where this drunken pissed off Dad punched - his own son in the face! Needless to say he was carted off.

The Syracuse fan in the picture above.

Every fan base has that guy. Some have more of them than others. UNLV has them as well.

But they all look just like that.

Like they are genetically engineered..

Typically go by stupid nicknames. Buddies yell out 'The Rick is in the house!'

Still talk about the High School Championship game and how they banged Brenda Bumgetter behind the bleachers afterwards.

Often accompanied by a toadie that repeats everything they say.

'You aint ready for ACC football!'

Followed by toadie...

'Here what he said, you ain't ready for ACC football!'

Followed by fist bumps and bro hugs.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RebelinWA

Well actually it was the 25 with 23 seconds left but your point is right on, as several have said including me. Add to that the mistake of not taking a timeout or two before Syracuse scored to preserve the clock just in case. With 1st, 2nd etc. and goal the clock wasn't going to prevent Syracuse from scoring. In fact I believe that Syracuse, with timeouts of their own, were letting the clock run for the exact reason of giving UNLV less time if Syracuse was to score. Which of course they did.

How the F do you not run a "safe" pass play or two with time and timeouts to spare, when your defense had just shown that they were too exhausted to stop anything. And the point about calling plays and taking TO's to rest them more is right on.

Well actually it was the 25 with 23 seconds left but your point is right on, as several have said including me. Add to that the mistake of not taking a timeout or two before Syracuse scored to preserve the clock just in case. With 1st, 2nd etc. and goal the clock wasn't going to prevent Syracuse from scoring. In fact I believe that Syracuse, with timeouts of their own, were letting the clock run for the exact reason of giving UNLV less time if Syracuse was to score. Which of course they did.

How the F do you not run a "safe" pass play or two with time and timeouts to spare, when your defense had just shown that they were too exhausted to stop anything. And the point about calling plays and taking TO's to rest them more is right on.

The only excuse I can think of and it's pretty flimsy, is that we had two really bad snaps in the game and worried about giving the ball back and a potential FG to lose in regulation.

Flimsy I know but all I got.

The Syracuse fan in the picture above.

Every fan base has that guy. Some have more of them than others. UNLV has them as well.

But they all look just like that.

Like they are genetically engineered..

Typically go by stupid nicknames. Buddies yell out 'The Rick is in the house!'

Still talk about the High School Championship game and how they banged Brenda Bumgetter behind the bleachers afterwards.

Often accompanied by a toadie that repeats everything they say.

'You aint ready for ACC football!'

Followe by toadie...

'Here what he said, you ain't ready for ACC football!'

Followed by fist bumps and bro hugs.
The Lobos have “THE SNAKE”. Is that his moniker?

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I was sitting in the Syracuse side and there a bunch of Homers. Some really nice "urban" New York well to do folks. You can tell these folks have money.

The pain for this one won't easily be taken, but beating Boise in a few weeks might help...
Today was a brutal day for Top 25 teams but the field got cleared in front of the MWC champion...
JMU lost, so the last undefeated hurtle in the G5 competition just got taken off the board. Discounting Liberty because their schedule is terrible and a 2 loss MWC champion probably beats them in CFP rankings...

The pain for this one won't easily be taken, but beating Boise in a few weeks might help...
Today was a brutal day for Top 25 teams but the field got cleared in front of the MWC champion...
JMU lost, so the last undefeated hurtle in the G5 competition just got taken off the board. Discounting Liberty because their schedule is terrible and a 2 loss MWC champion probably beats them in CFP rankings...

Army and Navy are both 5-0. Navy has win over Memphis. Army OOC weak but if they or Navy run the table in the AAC? Would definitely get them in the top 25.

Army and Navy are both 5-0. Navy has win over Memphis. Army OOC weak but if they or Navy run the table in the AAC? Would definitely get them in the top 25.
Again, just being ranked in the top 25 doesnt mean they immediatelybecome the highest ranked G5 champion. It's all about the highest ranked in the CFP rankings and that takes into account alot of factors and unfortunately for Army and Navy their SOS and conference isn't great. Also both still play ND and I'm not sure either will win those games.. then they also play each other twice in a 2 week span

image000000-jpg.245622
I was 3 rows behind that guy. “make a difference”

Reactions: Rebel_Luv
Again, just being ranked in the top 25 doesnt mean they immediatelybecome the highest ranked G5 champion. It's all about the highest ranked in the CFP rankings and that takes into account alot of factors and unfortunately for Army and Navy their SOS and conference isn't great. Also both still play ND and I'm not sure either will win those games.. then they also play each other twice in a 2 week span

Fair points and I don't disagree, just pointing out both are still undefeated, so there are G5s still alive. .

So you're saying a weak conference could be held against you by a CFP committee?

Like in two years when UNLV will be in a depleted MWC?

Just saying I made this same point earlier about this being one of the negatives to UNLV remaining in the MWC.

Fair points and I don't disagree, just pointing out both are still undefeated, so there are G5s still alive. .

So you're saying a weak conference could be held against you by a CFP committee?

Like in two years when UNLV will be in a depleted MWC?

Just saying I made this same point earlier about this being one of the negatives to UNLV remaining in the MWC.
Yes. I think it really just levels all the G5 conferences... dont care what the Pac thumpers say about their strength, its Boise and a bunch of mediocrity... our luck is we play in Vegas and people want to be in Vegas. It's an advantage for scheduling. And hopefully short lived, as in 5 years we're getting ready for Big 12 play...

Yes. I think it really just levels all the G5 conferences... dont care what the Pac thumpers say about their strength, its Boise and a bunch of mediocrity... our luck is we play in Vegas and people want to be in Vegas. It's an advantage for scheduling. And hopefully short lived, as in 5 years we're getting ready for Big 12 play...

Boise and a bunch of mediocrity? Then what's the MWC after UNLV?

Either conference strength matters or it doesn't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT