ADVERTISEMENT

CTS #5 on the list of college football coaches on the hot seat

Petrino would be great. Was an assistant at Reno so he knows the West. Would get a $14 million payout so he should be affordable.

Just make sure he can't get near the Rebel Girls.

Lol,

6Tcbf.jpg

Petrino would be great. Was an assistant at Reno so he knows the West. Would get a $14 million payout so he should be affordable.

Just make sure he can't get near the Rebel Girls.
Unfortunately, we live in a world where PC dominates, you can’t take risks.... I can’t see UNLV going after somebody with a history. Me? IDGAF about stuff like that (though there is a line).

Pitino isn’t too tarnished for my tastes, though.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where PC dominates, you can’t take risks.... I can’t see UNLV going after somebody with a history. Me? IDGAF about stuff like that (though there is a line).

Pitino isn’t too tarnished for my tastes, though.

There aren’t many bigger dirtbags in college sports than Bobby Petrino.

While at Louisville the first time Interviewed behind Louisville’s back to take Falcons job

After half of season at ATL interviews behind their back and takes Arkansas job, quits mid-season to take Arkansas jb, leaving notes around the locker room to inform team that he had departed.

Crashes motorcycle that he was riding with his assistant who he was having an affair with on the back, lies saying he was alone, only to have police report show there was a passenger. This same assistant was hired by Petrino while they where having the affair. This ultimately lead to him being fired.

Takes job at Western Kentucky and after one season leaves them high and dry to go back to Louisville, where he was fired this weekend.

I hope this guy never coaches in college again.

Reactions: ricovegas
There aren’t many bigger dirtbags in college sports than Bobby Petrino.

While at Louisville the first time Interviewed behind Louisville’s back to take Falcons job

After half of season at ATL interviews behind their back and takes Arkansas job, quits mid-season to take Arkansas jb, leaving notes around the locker room to inform team that he had departed.

Crashes motorcycle that he was riding with his assistant who he was having an affair with on the back, lies saying he was alone, only to have police report show there was a passenger. This same assistant was hired by Petrino while they where having the affair. This ultimately lead to him being fired.

Takes job at Western Kentucky and after one season leaves them high and dry to go back to Louisville, where he was fired this weekend.

I hope this guy never coaches in college again.
Dirt bag that wins >>> Nice guy that finishes last.

I’m older now though, so the window for winning is shrinking.

Still, I’d have felt that way when I was 18. Depends on what the behavior is, though. Horndog stuff? Being less than honorable? I don’t care. Pulling a Bliss? Yeah, crosses the line for me.

Dirt bag that wins >>> Nice guy that finishes last.

I’m older now though, so the window for winning is shrinking.

Still, I’d have felt that way when I was 18. Depends on what the behavior is, though. Horndog stuff? Being less than honorable? I don’t care. Pulling a Bliss? Yeah, crosses the line for me.

Definitely no Bliss but not someone if I were a parent I would want my kid to play for either. There are a lot of coaches that have won a lot of games that arent bad dudes like Petrino is, he is just a slimey snake. If for some strange reason he came to UNLV he would be gone to the first P5 offere he got, even after 1 year,

On a side note, I saw that Bobby Hauck became the winningest coach in Montana history this weekend. So we have had the #3 in all time wins at SC and #1 at Montana, but neither could manage to leave UNLV with a winning record. It doesnt matter who we hire, there is a lot more to it than the man in charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: j. spilotro
Definitely no Bliss but not someone if I were a parent I would want my kid to play for either. There are a lot of coaches that have won a lot of games that arent bad dudes like Petrino is, he is just a slimey snake. If for some strange reason he came to UNLV he would be gone to the first P5 offere he got, even after 1 year,

On a side note, I saw that Bobby Hauck became the winningest coach in Montana history this weekend. So we have had the #3 in all time wins at SC and #1 at Montana, but neither could manage to leave UNLV with a winning record. It doesnt matter who we hire, there is a lot more to it than the man in charge.

I agree. To an extent. But I can't help but think that the obstacles UNLV coaches face aren't so monumental that the right guy couldn't fix it.

Reno's a dump, but Ault made it work. Hell, even Norvell's bowl eligible in year 2.

San Jose State is down now but they've seen a bowl in the last decade. Their facilities aren't great. Their stadium isn't anything to write home about.

UAB freaking lost football completely for a couple years and are back in a bowl 2-3 years after bringing it back.

Army was getting trounced by Navy for over a decade. Winning 2-4 games a year. They bring in new coach three years ago. Have beaten Navy two in a row, made a bowl in new coaches 2nd year. Are poised to have a 10 win season and possibly be ranked.

Nothing else changed. No magical facility, no huge influx of booster money. Just the coach.

Sometimes it just takes the right guy.

I agree. To an extent. But I can't help but think that the obstacles UNLV coaches face aren't so monumental that the right guy couldn't fix it.

Reno's a dump, but Ault made it work. Hell, even Norvell's bowl eligible in year 2.

San Jose State is down now but they've seen a bowl in the last decade. Their facilities aren't great. Their stadium isn't anything to write home about.

UAB freaking lost football completely for a couple years and are back in a bowl 2-3 years after bringing it back.

Army was getting trounced by Navy for over a decade. Winning 2-4 games a year. They bring in new coach three years ago. Have beaten Navy two in a row, made a bowl in new coaches 2nd year. Are poised to have a 10 win season and possibly be ranked.

Nothing else changed. No magical facility, no huge influx of booster money. Just the coach.

Sometimes it just takes the right guy.

I probably didnt word it right when I said "It doesnt matter who we hire...", because it absolutley takes the right guy, but UNLV also cant get out of its own way either. There are plenty of coaches that have gone places and made an instant impact, hell JRob did at UNLV, but still finished with a losing record if Im not mistaken. For sustained longterm success it will take much more than just the right hire.

I probably didnt word it right when I said "It doesnt matter who we hire...", because it absolutley takes the right guy, but UNLV also cant get out of its own way either. There are plenty of coaches that have gone places and made an instant impact, hell JRob did at UNLV, but still finished with a losing record if Im not mistaken. For sustained longterm success it will take much more than just the right hire.

Agreed.

I'd just be happy if we had a guy jump start the program.

Reactions: RebelinWA
It is an interesting discussion. It works for both football and basketball really.

A lot of discussion how a coach for either program is almost doomed as soon as they get here due to all of failures that proceeded them.

I fully agree that it seems like there is something going on.

But on the other hand, once they get the job it's on them to make it work. They hire their own guys. They have to recruit and coach these players. They may not have all the resources as many programs, but they have a decent amount. Most coaches have been given enough time to make it work.

The administration doesn't do that much other than hire them, give them a budget, and sit back.

You can't blame the administration for a defense that gets lost, for a team that falls apart in the second half. For players looking lost of the field/court.

It is an interesting discussion. It works for both football and basketball really.

A lot of discussion how a coach for either program is almost doomed as soon as they get here due to all of failures that proceeded them.

I fully agree that it seems like there is something going on.

But on the other hand, once they get the job it's on them to make it work. They hire their own guys. They have to recruit and coach these players. They may not have all the resources as many programs, but they have a decent amount. Most coaches have been given enough time to make it work.

The administration doesn't do that much other than hire them, give them a budget, and sit back.

You can't blame the administration for a defense that gets lost, for a team that falls apart in the second half. For players looking lost of the field/court.
Agreed, regardless of whatever the situation is, coaches have to overcome. Whether it’s budgetary onstraints, a general lack of support from admin and/or fans, substandard facilities (football), etc, etc, etc. A lot of that is beyond a coaches control and existed before they got here; the coaches still control between the lines.

So it’s no single issue that leads to failure here. But I think we’d all agree, the better you are setup, the easier it is to succeed. UNLV is hamstrung out of the gate, but coaches are still paid to perform. Just get at it. Do it.

But especially with football, when nobody has ever succeeded, you have to look deeper than just coaches.

Basketball to a lesser extent, but it’s still pretty obvious. Tark smashed all barriers and is an extreme outlier and fluke for this school. Outside of him, has any coach “succeeded”? Kruger? Perhaps, but Muss will probably accomplish more in these two seasons than Kruger did over his UNLV career. Kruger nothing, nothing, S16, R32, 1 and done, 1 and done... Muss nothing, nothing, S16, ?)

So if UNLV football has “failed” and UNLV basketball has “failed” we are either extremely unlucky or we are broken.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
Linked,

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...on-the-hot-seat/ss-BBPu7Vs?li=BBnba9I#image=7

Bobby Petrino from Louisville #1 on the list might be coming available. He would definitely be an upgrade over CTS if they decide to relieve him of his duties.
No thanks on Bobby P. He took two good programs in fine local recruiting pools and ran them into the ground. What he did to Louisville with all those great recruits left over from Charlie Strong was gross malfeasance. But the character thing is much bigger. As bad as he was in Ark & KY, he'll be catastrophic in Las Vegas. Unless we want to finally grant the NCAA's wish to give us the Death Penalty, you don't bring a guy like him to Las Vegas.

It's one thing being a dirtbag, but its another getting a dirtbag on his downward spiral.

No Thanks, I'd rather take my chances on a better retread or an unproven up and comer.

CU's coach Mike MacIntyre may be available soon. Went from 1 win to 10 wins at SJSU in 2 years, won 10 games at CU a couple of seasons to go. Both places are tough places to win and although he hasnt won big at CU other than that one season, he still has done some good things there. This year CU may end up going from 5-0 to 5-7, I havent followed close enough to know what is going on in Boulder, has the team quit, injuries, etc?

CU's coach Mike MacIntyre may be available soon. Went from 1 win to 10 wins at SJSU in 2 years, won 10 games at CU a couple of seasons to go. Both places are tough places to win and although he hasnt won big at CU other than that one season, he still has done some good things there. This year CU may end up going from 5-0 to 5-7, I havent followed close enough to know what is going on in Boulder, has the team quit, injuries, etc?
I've heard that the Buffs will fire him but only if they can get boosters to pay his $11 M buyout. I think that will happen. Now the questions would be =
1] Can we afford to buyout TS? his buyout in 2017 was $950,000; and
2] Do we have the money to get Mike M? He is currently making over $2.8 M a year with the Buffs. He could easily get an OC job for $900,000 at one of the Power 5 elite programs. I don't think it would be wise to pay him that much money "IF" he wanted the job.

I'd like to see CTS stay. He's done a good job at recruiting getting players we never had a chance at getting before. I think the QB coach needs to be replaced for sure. I really think it just takes a decent defense to get this team rolling. If the defense could do its thing, we could be in the top 4 year after year in the MW. Just my take.

I'd like to see CTS stay. He's done a good job at recruiting getting players we never had a chance at getting before. I think the QB coach needs to be replaced for sure. I really think it just takes a decent defense to get this team rolling. If the defense could do its thing, we could be in the top 4 year after year in the MW. Just my take.
Indeed. At least give him one more year and go from there. The money factor is just too huge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT