ADVERTISEMENT

COLLEGE FOOTBALL AND THE PORTAL

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Love it or hate it I think we may see more days with crazy results like we saw yesterday because of the portal. They rich will always be the rich but the portal has given everybody including G5s a little more of a chance. A former CUSA QB just lead Vandy over #1 Alabama.

We are see higher end prospects transferring 'down' as well.

I thought originally it would kill mid level P4 and G5 programs but it's not working out that way.

Love it or hate it I think we may see more days with crazy results like we saw yesterday because of the portal. They rich will always be the rich but the portal has given everybody including G5s a little more of a chance. A former CUSA QB just lead Vandy over #1 Alabama.

We are see higher end prospects transferring 'down' as well.

I thought originally it would kill mid level P4 and G5 programs but it's not working out that way.
We will be a development conference. Why sit on bench for 1-3 years for P4? Instead play at UNLV for 1-3 years increase your NIL money dramatically.

We will be a development conference. Why sit on bench for 1-3 years for P4? Instead play at UNLV for 1-3 years increase your NIL money dramatically.

That's true. Flipside you get guys like Ricky White and others around the country that find themselves buried on depth charts and transfer down and stick around.

It will be interesting to monitor over the next few years.

Reactions: RebelinWA
That's true. Flipside you get guys like Ricky White and others around the country that find themselves buried on depth charts and transfer down and stick around.

It will be interesting to monitor over the next few years.
We can reach pretty deeply into the portal to find those guys that are buried on better depth charts. Our roster is littered with transfer success stories.

Where would we be without Catalon, Powell, Doyle, Woodard, White, St John, Vessel, Hajj, Chavis, Grimes, and DeCambra?

We are losing a lot of seniors this year, but I have confidence that Odom can gather the next group to rebuild and be ready next season. The portal has made rebuilding much easier.

We can reach pretty deeply into the portal to find those guys that are buried on better depth charts. Our roster is littered with transfer success stories.

Where would we be without Catalon, Powell, Doyle, Woodard, White, St John, Vessel, Hajj, Chavis, Grimes, and DeCambra?

We are losing a lot of seniors this year, but I have confidence that Odom can gather the next group to rebuild and be ready next season. The portal has made rebuilding much easier.
Colorado State wanted to build with Freshman. They have some transfers but, they want freshman to build a culture and grow together. This is their third year under Norvell. At the beginning of the season he talked about building from freshman and how good they were going to be this year. Right now they are sitting at 2-3. Personally, I like a good mix and I think Odom is doing that. He is barely in year 2 and you can't argue with his approach. Talented transfers give the young guys a chance to grow.

Colorado State wanted to build with Freshman. They have some transfers but, they want freshman to build a culture and grow together. This is their third year under Norvell. At the beginning of the season he talked about building from freshman and how good they were going to be this year. Right now they are sitting at 2-3. Personally, I like a good mix and I think Odom is doing that. He is barely in year 2 and you can't argue with his approach. Talented transfers give the young guys a chance to grow.

Mix is key. Have to develop young players as a 'base' and fill needs in the portal. Nice thing with the portal now is you can grab guys with 2-3-4 years of eligibility. In the past transfers typically only had 1 or 2 years and they had to sit a year.

Odom so far has done that. A number of freshman and red shirt freshman are seeing reps this year which helps for next season.

Hopefully less portal transfers out of UNLV given the high number of seniors departing.
This staff is pretty good with sharing the love. I see the 3 deep at multiple positions getting time in. I hope that RB that left is an exception. Better to get some time in than no time in.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT