ADVERTISEMENT

CKK support?

Weve now reached the traditional point of the season where players start getting on twitter to go after fan base because they havent managed to win enough games to make them care about anything else...

Nonsense. He didn’t go after anybody.

He asked a perfectly reasonable question and implicitly expressed his support for the coach.

Apparently he doesn’t agree with you is all. Instead of accusing him of attacking anyone, maybe you should grab a mirror?

Last edited:
Nonsense. He didn’t go after anybody.
He want after everyone who has said that it might be time to move on from CKK... Thats what the tweet says. Unless there are players in the program also quitting, which would throw up more red flags to me than him going after the fan base.

He want after everyone who has said that it might be time to move on from CKK... Thats what the tweet says.
he did not, and it most certainly does not. Read it again.

For somebody who attacks the players and coaches all the time, you sure seem bothered by a kid asking a simple question about program culture.

Reactions: LocoRebel
Best we can do is finish as a 6th seed in the MWCT. Worst is finish as a 9th seed. Looking at remaining games for teams in that range I am guessing we finish 8th. How can you expect a basketball teams culture to get any better when your a bottom dweller of a mediocre conference?
I will be routing for UNLV in every game that remains this year and next year. But with absolutely no expectations.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Hi @rebelzzz
I won’t try to talk you into feeling as I do. I can see why any fan’s expectations would be low. I think you ask a fair question and it deserves a civil answer.

For me, in order to believe the culture can and will improve, you’ve got to believe in the talent of the underclassmen, and believe they’ll stay long enough to build a culture. We don’t have to start with 10 new players next year to elevate our talent. The underclassmen we have today have plenty of talent, they just need to develop. We have four Sophomores and one Freshman on the roster that I believe could all develop significantly this off-season and play 50-60% of next years minutes. Thats your core. If things go right, all 5 of those guys turn into 3 or 4 year Rebels. KG, SN, IC and KH all get 25mpg next year. JJ will prob always be a role player, but i could see him giving us 10-15 spark-plug mpg as a Junior and maybe more as a Senior. He could have a really nice career here if he wants it, buys-in to building a culture, and embraces his role. I don’t know if Jackie is “that guy”, but I know lots of good program cultures have a guy exactly like that.

In addition to those 5, it wouldn’t be the end of the world to bring back 2-3 of the other guys as well, but only if you REALLY like their attitudes, work ethic, and they’re willing to play reduced roles behind the 3-4 guys you recruit “over” them (which I agree, absolutely must happen).

Now with that, you’re bringing back 8, and only adding 5. That’s not an overhaul. It allows for some YOY continuity. The five we add need to be better talent, and at least 3-4 of them will need major minutes next year, so they better be ready for it. That’s on Kevin 100%. We know the position and statistical needs and probably all agree on them…. PG, C, Rebounding, Shooting, Toughness, Size, Length, etc

Of course anyone can respond and argue “none of that is going to happen because everyone is bailing”, but I think thats BS. Guess we’ll see. If a few of our fans here (who want the coach fired) believe everybody on this team is bailing, that’s fine, I just don’t have much interest in talking with them.

Thanks for asking a question that allowed me to respond about a topic I love.

Last edited:
After watching the women's team all year I'm convinced the men could get the T&M nearly full if they performed as well. That's what it would take. After watching the regression of the men's program under KK I don't think he would ever get us near that point. Just compare the Rebels with SJSU. Myles isn't a great coach by any measure but he is good, and KK isn't even close to that. Give KK another year to be fair. But then, find a decent coach with some experience and a history of winning at least some time in his career. That's all it should take. I don't think we need a superstar coach - a good coach will do. That's way better than we have now.

Miles is a better coach than what we have now! If we can move on, we should, Kevin will not be able to recr his way out of this next year. He would at least 3 NBA level players to win next year, at the level we want, which is NCAA tournament level or NIT final 4!

Hi @rebelzzz
I won’t try to talk you into feeling as I do. I can see why any fan’s expectations would be low. I think you ask a fair question and it deserves a civil answer.

For me, in order to believe the culture can and will improve, you’ve got to believe in the talent of the underclassmen, and believe they’ll stay long enough to build a culture. We don’t have to start with 10 new players next year to elevate our talent. The underclassmen we have today have plenty of talent, they just need to develop. We have four Sophomores and one Freshman on the roster that I believe could all develop significantly this off-season and play 50-60% of next years minutes. Thats your core. If things go right, all 5 of those guys turn into 3 or 4 year Rebels. KG, SN, IC and KH all get 25mpg next year. JJ will prob always be a role player, but i could see him giving us 10-15 spark-plug mpg as a Junior and maybe more as a Senior. He could have a really nice career here if he wants it, buys-in to building a culture, and embraces his role. I don’t know if Jackie is “that guy”, but I know lots of good program cultures have a guy exactly like that.

In addition to those 5, it wouldn’t be the end of the world to bring back 2-3 of the other guys as well, but only if you REALLY like their attitudes, work ethic, and they’re willing to play reduced roles behind the 3-4 guys you recruit “over” them (which I agree, absolutely must happen).

Now with that, you’re bringing back 8, and only adding 5. That’s not an overhaul. It allows for some YOY continuity. The five we add need to be better talent, and at least 3-4 of them will need major minutes next year, so they better be ready for it. That’s on Kevin 100%. We know the position and statistical needs and probably all agree on them…. PG, C, Rebounding, Shooting, Toughness, Size, Length, etc

Of course anyone can respond and argue “none of that is going to happen because everyone is bailing”, but I think thats BS. Guess we’ll see. If a few of our fans here (who want the coach fired) believe everybody on this team is bailing, that’s fine, I just don’t have much interest in talking with them.

Thanks for asking a question that allowed me to respond about a topic I love.
None of that is going to happen - it’s an extreme take. So is all of this is going to happen. The truth will be in the middle.

So you’re expecting success based on all this good is going to happen.

What happens when maybe half of that happens?

Another mediocre to poor year is the most logical outcome.

But let’s wait and see … if people are leaving, we will know soon enough. And that eats into the “all this is going to happen”.

I’ve been around long enough to know that injuries happen, defections happen, players don’t develop at the rate you hope. You get far more mini “disappointments” than mini “pleasant surprises” over the course of the season. It’s just the way it typically goes. Not just around here, but for most teams, especially those without depth to help recoup those disappointments.

Reactions: Trax0r
I’m not expecting anything yet, but I can see how everything I hope for above could easily happen, and there’s absolutely nothing extreme about it. Even if it does, we still need a big talent upgrade from next years newcomers and roughly half our minutes from guys who aren’t on todays roster to be really good. That’s a lot to ask, but in this new transfer world, it’s super possible. Teams are doing it all over the country this year aren’t they?

None of that is going to happen - it’s an extreme take. So is all of this is going to happen. The truth will be in the middle.

What happens when maybe half of that happens?

Another mediocre to poor year is the most logical outcome.

But let’s wait and see … if people are leaving, we will know soon enough. And that eats into the “all this is going to happen”.

I’ve been around long enough to know that injuries happen, defections happen, players don’t develop at the rate you hope. You get far more mini “disappointments” than mini “pleasant surprises” over the course of the season. It’s just the way it typically goes. Not just around here, but for most teams, especially those without depth to help recoup those disappointments.
Yeah, far more Katins then Bryces...

Yeah, far more Katins then Bryces...
It’s sucks. Maybe it’s battered wife syndrome. But it’s been long standing. Some do turn out ahead of where you thought - either players, a specific stat/strength, etc. For example, this season, I did not think they’d force as many turnovers as they have. At the same time, I figured Gilbert to step up and he’s regressed. They’ve actually shot from 3 a lot better than I expected (I expected it to be one of the worst three point shooting teams we’ve had), but they can’t rebound a lick. Based upon Kevin’s personality and playing style, I expected them to be tough - they’re charmin soft.

And the thing is, it’s nearly always far more accumulative “negatives” than those positives.

It’s sucks. Maybe it’s battered wife syndrome. But it’s been long standing. Some do turn out ahead of where you thought - either players, a specific stat/strength, etc. For example, this season, I did not think they’d force as many turnovers as they have. At the same time, I figured Gilbert to step up and he’s regressed. They’ve actually shot from 3 a lot better than I expected (I expected it to be one of the worst three point shooting teams we’ve had), but they can’t rebound a lick. Based upon Kevin’s personality and playing style, I expected them to be tough - they’re charmin soft.

And the thing is, it’s nearly always far more accumulative “negatives” than those positives.
Oh, and part of this is such a high rate of player turnover. Team/years played together is critical. I don’t know how we stop it. The landscape of the game has changed and made it way more difficult than previously (sitting out an xfer year kept alot of kids previously).

Oh, and part of this is such a high rate of player turnover. Team/years played together is critical. I don’t know how we stop it. The landscape of the game has changed and made it way more difficult than previously (sitting out an xfer year kept alot of kids previously).
This is why the College game is getting harder and harder to watch.

Reactions: j. spilotro
We got 1 more game..gonna root hard even though it’s a sh*t sandwich. I gave up long time ago. I just show up, do my stupid dance to make the Jumbotron, eat a Rebel Dog with chili cheese and STFU!!

The season went to sh*t once Luis Rodriguez hurt his hip.

And let’s be honest, the Kruger offense has always been crap. That’s why us original RebelNetters wanted Lon Gone.

Now you got Kruger offense 2.0 with a top 300 team lol.

Have faith in Erick “Sith Lord” Harper after next season fellas.

We got Cotrell, Hall Nowell and a new back court next year.

Reactions: utestream
There’s no reason to bring back Kevin Kruger next year. We will lose over half of the roster and might as well do that with a new coach.
Hall is still thinking of transferring according to a cousin that hangs out with me at the House of Commons.. Wants to be closer to home. Wasn’t getting major minutes.

I see the upside even though he’s just a freshman. I like his game offensively.

Easily my favorite player as he’s the only guy willing to post up.

I think he sees the writing on the wall. Can’t say I really blame him.

Hall is still thinking of transferring according to a cousin that hangs out with me at the House of Commons.. Wants to be closer to home. Wasn’t getting major minutes.

I see the upside even though he’s just a freshman. I like his game offensively.

Easily my favorite player as he’s the only guy willing to post up.

I think he sees the writing on the wall. Can’t say I really blame him.
Is he from Cleveland or Atlanta?

Why wouldn’t he get it? He’s doing really well. And it’s not like there’s a big name out there.
Because it's Texas and their going after a big name like Oats at Alabama.. and yes, I realize P5 to P5 but Texas has a ton of money that they'll throw at the next coach. He's done a good job, which is why he'll be up for a HC job, just not likely Texas

Reactions: bcvegaspt
A Rodney Terry hire would be in line with the Odom hire in football and what we need, a proven HC! No more assistants, no more waiting for someone unproven as a HC to turn things around here. We would all love Pitino but Terry is more in the wheelhouse!

ive felt for a while:
Schroyer or miles > rice or menses or kruger

i think schroyer was frustrated with rice's ineptness as a hc when he left

ive felt for a while:
Schroyer or miles > rice or menses or kruger

i think schroyer was frustrated with rice's ineptness as a hc when he left

Why do you speak such blasphemy about CDR? Lol Is what a few Rebel fans would say.

I'm not one of them CDR was pretty Clueless IMO when it came to being a Head Coach!

He was one heck of a recruiter! I will give him that much.

Why do you speak such blasphemy about CDR? Lol Is what a few Rebel fans would say.

I'm not one of them CDR was pretty Clueless IMO when it came to being a Head Coach!

He was one heck of a recruiter! I will give him that much.
Didn't Miller bring in all the big recruits for CDR? I do not think we know how involved Rice was in recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT