ADVERTISEMENT

CFP Playoff changed today

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-fo...o-allow-for-more-at-large-bids-161945821.html

Changed to a "5+7" system that incorporates five automatic qualifying spots for the highest-ranked conference champions and seven at-large spots for the next highest ranked teams.

Let the fighting and bitching begin.
I figured this was coming. I would be surprised if they let 2 non power conferences keep autobids.
MW is still in pretty good shape, conference champion will be in a great spot to contend for that last autobid.

I figured this was coming. I would be surprised if they let 2 non power conferences keep autobids.
MW is still in pretty good shape, conference champion will be in a great spot to contend for that last autobid.
With the ACC impending collapse, there could be only SEC, Big, and maybe Big12 getting the top 3, which would leave 9 positions for everyone to fight over depending on if they reserve any for the highest level group of five conference teams.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I don't know. 500 mil seems like a pretty big hurdle for ACC teams to be poached anytime soon. DOwn the road, sure.

Isn't it only that way for 2 years because the Pac 12 didn't want to give up their chance at making it? Their looking 2 years out to see what changes will be coming for them while recruiting to rebuild conference

Isn't it only that way for 2 years because the Pac 12 didn't want to give up their chance at making it? Their looking 2 years out to see what changes will be coming for them while recruiting to rebuild conference
Not sure what you are asking here. 2 years is when the current media deal ends, if I'm not mistaken. And with it the whole CFP agreement(s)? Kinda confusing.

I wonder what Notre Dame is thinking. Obviously they have a lot of reasons $$$ to stay independent, but under this format the highest seed they can get is #5 which means no bye.

As it stands they are already play 5 ACC schools plus SC so they are locked in to 6 games plus they play Navy and Stanford often meaning they dont have a ton of open dates for OOC games. Is this what will fiannly send ND to the BIG?

Not sure what you are asking here. 2 years is when the current media deal ends, if I'm not mistaken. And with it the whole CFP agreement(s)? Kinda confusing.
More of a statement.. Pac 12 preferred the 7 at large bids because it would be the better option for one of its 2 teams to potentially make the playoff. Im not sure if having 7 at large bids still helps them, but it defiantly shrinks the G5 schools chances, which does seem a bit intentional at making say the MWC less likely to break into "could they be the new P5" conference in the next 2 years, and allow the Pac-12 2 to recruit schools they want out of the G5s...

I wonder what Notre Dame is thinking. Obviously they have a lot of reasons $$$ to stay independent, but under this format the highest seed they can get is #5 which means no bye.

As it stands they are already play 5 ACC schools plus SC so they are locked in to 6 games plus they play Navy and Stanford often meaning they dont have a ton of open dates for OOC games. Is this what will fiannly send ND to the BIG?
Well their current TV contract with NBC is not even 50% of what each Big apparently school gets ( ND got 22 mil last year), though they did recently extend their contract with undisclosed numbers. Do they warrant 50 mil per year with NBC? Seems doubtful.

I think they are more likely to get more money with the Big

Last edited:
Well their current TV contract with NBC is not even 50% of what each Big apparently school gets ( ND got 22 mil last year), though they did recently extend their contract with undisclosed numbers. Do they warrant 50 mil per year with NBC? Seems doubtful.

I think they are more likely to get more money with the Big
I'm not sure ND needs the money. Of course, you could say that about the B1G and SEC, but their thirst for more just doesn't seem to go away.

Another mystery of the universe is how much sway they have over and disproportionate earnings they get, from the NCAA revenue streams. They get shitloads of TV revenue already. Why do they get such a lion's share of the NCAA FB money too? Oh but the Big12 and ACC can elevate multiple G5 teams and no problem.

I think it is just FB, correct? BB money depends on tournament participation per conference, regardless of affiliation?

And I didn't get any response to my comment about Bracketology showing 6 MW teams in..... :(

Reactions: dcut03
I'm not sure ND needs the money. Of course, you could say that about the B1G and SEC, but their thirst for more just doesn't seem to go away.

Another mystery of the universe is how much sway they have over and disproportionate earnings they get, from the NCAA revenue streams. They get shitloads of TV revenue already. Why do they get such a lion's share of the NCAA FB money too? Oh but the Big12 and ACC can elevate multiple G5 teams and no problem.

I think it is just FB, correct? BB money depends on tournament participation per conference, regardless of affiliation?

And I didn't get any response to my comment about Bracketology showing 6 MW teams in..... :(
What's better than 22 mil per year? 80.

ND doesn't need the money, but money isn't the reason to stay independent. Now, it is no the reason to be in the playoffs since it is now impossible to host a home game

ALL of these moves are about the guaranteed TV money. Being in a top conference gives bonuses for bowl games and NCAA appearances. But what I don't know if guaranteed playoff games and NY6 games for certain conferences have that money distribution already factored into their TV contracts or not.

As a G5 school, the MW gets a bonus for making a NY6 bowl or a playoff game that gets shared with the conference. But that may not be the case if that bowl for power schools.

As for bracketology. It is nice to see 6 in. But I doubt that actually happens. I think 4 in is pretty safe, a 5th is possible, but 6? Probably not. It would have to take a team like UNLV winning the tournament for that to happen, even so, that could bump another MW team out.

ND doesn't need the money, but money isn't the reason to stay independent. Now, it is no the reason to be in the playoffs since it is now impossible to host a home game

ALL of these moves are about the guaranteed TV money. Being in a top conference gives bonuses for bowl games and NCAA appearances. But what I don't know if guaranteed playoff games and NY6 games for certain conferences have that money distribution already factored into their TV contracts or not.

As a G5 school, the MW gets a bonus for making a NY6 bowl or a playoff game that gets shared with the conference. But that may not be the case if that bowl for power schools.

As for bracketology. It is nice to see 6 in. But I doubt that actually happens. I think 4 in is pretty safe, a 5th is possible, but 6? Probably not. It would have to take a team like UNLV winning the tournament for that to happen, even so, that could bump another MW team out.
Not sure I agree with your math on the $80 million. $7 billion over 8 years divided by 16 teams. More like $54M? And it includes basketball. I think ND's $22M is football only. But I see $80M being thrown around, so what do I know? More than ND in any event.

ND would host a playoff game if it finishes 6-8 in the CFP.

Not sure I agree with your math on the $80 million. $7 billion over 8 years divided by 16 teams. More like $54M? And it includes basketball. I think ND's $22M is football only. But I see $80M being thrown around, so what do I know? More than ND in any event.

ND would host a playoff game if it finishes 6-8 in the CFP.

You are right on the football only. Also I found this:

"On Saturday, Notre Dame and Comcast NBCUniversal announced a new TV deal running through 2029.

Notre Dame is expected to receive around $50 million per year from NBC, in addition to the $17 million it receives from the ACC. Notre Dame’s total compensation is slightly less than what members of the Big Ten would receive."

So 22mil to 50 mil is a very nice bump, but apparently 67 mil is still less than the BIG teams. Jesus Christ. Is it 80? Maybe not, maybe 70 since that would be "slightly less". Unreal.

I always thought playoffs should have started.

5 P5 Champs

3 at large.

One of at large went to highest rated G5 school (Also must be conference champion) As long as they were ranked top 15ish.

Any given year you could have had something like

1 Alabama (SEC) vs 8 Boise State
2 Michigan (BIG) vs 7 Georgia
3 Florida State (ACC) vs 6 Ohio State
4 Oklahoma (BIG12) vs 5 USC (PAC)

Higher seed gets home game. 1st round.

To me that made most sense. Now conference titles actually meant something. Everybody had a seat at the table..

That's an awesome weekend of college football.

If that had been done from start I think we'd have seen less movement.

I actually like new 12 team format.

Last edited:
Reactions: dcut03

They, cant get a bye not being able to be a 1-4 seed, but as a 5, 6, 7 or 8 seed they would host a home game in round 1 vs 9-12

They, cant get a bye not being able to be a 1-4 seed, but as a 5, 6, 7 or 8 seed they would host a home game in round 1 vs 9-12
As I said in post #13, except that #5 goes to a conference champion. So 6-8 gets them a home game.

All-knowing Loyal said: ND would host a playoff game if it finishes 6-8 in the CFP.

No worries though - I hang here because I get no respect or admiration on my board! :)

As I said in post #13, except that #5 goes to a conference champion. So 6-8 gets them a home game.

All-knowing Loyal said: ND would host a playoff game if it finishes 6-8 in the CFP.

No worries though - I hang here because I get no respect or admiration on my board! :)
That’s not correct at least my understanding is that the top 4 ranked conference champion get 1-4 the 5th ranked conference champion isn’t guaranteed the 5 seed, but they are guaranteed a spot in the playoff.

That’s not correct at least my understanding is that the top 4 ranked conference champion get 1-4 the 5th ranked conference champion isn’t guaranteed the 5 seed, but they are guaranteed a spot in the playoff.
This is such a scam. A team not in the top conferences could play and destroy a team in the top 4 during the regular season, and still end up seeded lower than them.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
This is such a scam. A team not in the top conferences could play and destroy a team in the top 4 during the regular season, and still end up seeded lower than them.
I think this is to keep the SEC/ESPN from getting the top 4 seeds and byes every year.

If this was last year Florida St would have been a top 4 seed by virtue of winning the ACC.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT