ADVERTISEMENT

Carlos Johnson quotes

T.E. Parker

Publisher
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2002
This is just for you Confidential folk.

Here are quotes from both Andy Johnson, the head coach of Findlay Prep, and Carlos Johnson. Johnson is a pretty tough sounding dude, even over the phone.

Hope you enjoy.

Andy Johnson - Head coach Findlay Prep

People are going to say he is undersized. What about Carlos Johnson makes him such a valuable asset?

“His toughness. We nicknamed him “The Bull” for a reason. He is absolutely one of the toughest kids we’ve had here (Findlay Prep). He’s got a non-stop motor and really, really rebounds. He is a great defender and just really versatile all-around player that emphasizes toughness in every way.”

How will that translate to the Division I level?

“There are three things that always translate at every level you go up. No. 1 is shooting. No. 2 is rebounding. No. 3 is toughness. He is the definition of toughness. Every level he goes, he’ll have the ability to rebound.”

Does he have the same type of demeanor as former Pilot, Jorge Gutierrez?

“He reminds me a whole lot of him. I think he’s one of the toughest players we’ve had here since Jorge.”

Carlos Johnson

What was it that sold you on UNLV?

“I feel like my toughness, it is that - I’m a rebel. I would fit in well because I’m so tough. I feel like it’s a great program. It’s a great fit for me and my family. There’s nothing wrong with living in Vegas. I like Vegas.”

Was this an easier sell after you came out and spent some time at Findlay Prep?

“They recruited me really good. There were some other schools but my relationship with Coach (David) Rice and Coach (Todd) Simon very good. They never sugarcoated anything. They came in to watch me practice and work out all the time. They could see all the hard work. With where I come from and the struggle, I’m a loyal person.”

Everyone who talks about you can’t say enough about your hard work and toughness. Talk about what you are going to bring to the UNLV program every day.

“I plan on coming in as a Freshman and working very hard. I’ll learn as much information as I can from all the other guys that are coming back. I’ll bring that toughness and, hopefully, become a leader.”

Do you ever get underestimated because you are shorter than the majority of players you go up against?

“Of course, but that’s a part of the game. Everybody gets underestimated. That doesn’t stop me from going at whoever you are. I don’t care if you are ranked higher than me - No. 1 or No. 2 - I’m still going to go at you as hard as I can.”

Is there any player that you mold yourself after that you like to think your game resembles them?

“I really like Draymond Green’s game. If you go back, Charles Barkley, of course.”

Who were the other schools that were close on your list before making this decision?

“Cal, Bradley, TCU, St. Mary’s and UC Santa Barbara.”

Living here in town this year, are you excited for the opportunity to be close to the program and get to some games this year?

“I can’t wait. I played with Zimm (Stephen Zimmerman), so we have a good relationship. He’s like a big brother to me. I talk to him a lot. He probably knew about the commitment before a lot of people did. He gives me his honest opinion on things. He told me it would be a great fit.”

Was Stephen one of the reasons you chose UNLV?

“I wouldn’t say the main reason, but, in reality, he’s a pro. He knows the program is great. He knows that Coach Rice is a great coach. (Rice) has gotten players to the league and I think he can do that for me.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News