ADVERTISEMENT

Can't get a Big Win

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
I won't believe this team will show it's capable of moving forward without getting a win against a ranked team or winning when a season is on the line. J-Rob had big wins against Wisconsin (Ranked 14) and Arkansas in The Las Vegas Bowl. Sanford had a big win against Az. State Ranked 15). But even with these wins neither of these coaches could keep it going.

Sanchez still doesn't have a big win. He has yet shown he can win a big game against a more experienced coach and I think this is a big indicator of how he's out of his depth. I was skeptical when he was hired due purely to lack of experience. In my mind it was like hiring a manager of a ford dealership to run the Ford company. This last week was a perfect example of how he's just outclassed when there is a lot at stake. Both New Mexico and UNLV have comparable talent. This was a big game for both teams. But Davie just outclassed Sanchez and showed how to bring in a team ready to play.

I don't think Sanchez is capable of running a winning program at this level. I'm thankful for his ability to raise enough $$ for a practice facility. I'm also thankful for his ability to recruit more depth. But he's not the guy to move us into a new stadium. The AD needs to start lining up who she wants to take us forward.

People will say we can't afford a new coach. I don't buy that argument. The Utah State and SDSU coaches make $200,000 to $400,000 a year more than Sanchez. Just bring another 5000 fans and this is paid for. IMO, with a program that averaged 8-4 we could bring in 30,000 fans. A decent coach could do that in the MWC.

Here are the teams we've beaten under CTS. Pretty sobering when you look at it and you are right. Fresno State and maybe Nevada 2015 are probably our best wins.

UTEP
Prairie View A&M

Hawaii
New Mexico
Idaho
San Jose State
Fresno State

Jackson State
Fresno State
Hawaii
Wyoming

Idaho State