ADVERTISEMENT

BYU Home & Away 2023/24

RebelMan5000

Conference POY
Jun 20, 2018
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougars/2018/08/06/byu-announces-another/

I like this series - the game last year was well attended by BYU fans. I also really like the Power 5 teams (or in this case, independent) teams they have been scheduling homes and away series with like BYU, Cal, Vandy and Iowa state that are potentially winnable and can put UNLV in contention for a national ranking somewhere down the line with a few victories and a little luck.

When UNLV starts to beat byu is when the tables will turn and they will not be able to stand UNLV. I look forward to revenge from the collapse last season.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
I like the rivalry. I will admit it is a bit one sided, but the high percentage off LDS in the valley keeps it strong locally at least.

Unfortunately we need these games for revenue, that alone makes playing them good for UNLV. It sucks that we need them more than they need us right now, but hopefully that will change.

Last edited:
It sucks that we need them more than we need them right now.
??????

There are pleny of other schools that are willing to come to LV that draw just as well, Id rather play them.
This is patently wrong. Other than Wisconsin, please show me a school that brings enough fans to sell out SBS. Hawaii has a huge following here, but those games aren't near sellouts.

??????

This is patently wrong. Other than Wisconsin, please show me a school that brings enough fans to sell out SBS. Hawaii has a huge following here, but those games aren't near sellouts.
Sell out might be pushing it. But I think there are a handful of schools that could bring large crowds to SBS.

Vegas is about as easy a destination as there is.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
Sell out might be pushing it. But I think there are a handful of schools that could bring large crowds to SBS.

Vegas is about as easy a destination as there is.

The last 2 PAC schools that played at SBS was in front of about 30,000, the new stadium will get schools that wouldnt come to SBS. Ill take any PAC school over byu, Id much rather play UCLA in front of 31,000 instead of byu in front or 33,000. Oregon has gone to Wyoming recently, Im sure they will come to LV to play in Raiders Stadium, in fact Im sure every school (some that wouldnt play at SBS) in the PAC will be willing to play at Raiders stadium vs UNLV.

The top 6 games in regards to home attendance:
1. 42,075 Wisconsin 2003
2. 40,091 Wisconsin 1996
3. Not sure of who they played for the 3rd highest
4. 38,250 Wisconsin 2007
5. 38,125 Hawaii 2007
6. 38,026 BYU 2007

The top 6 games in regards to home attendance:
1. 42,075 Wisconsin 2003
2. 40,091 Wisconsin 1996
3. Not sure of who they played for the 3rd highest
4. 38,250 Wisconsin 2007
5. 38,125 Hawaii 2007
6. 38,026 BYU 2007
I do think there’s a number of teams we can play that would be within 10-20 percent of those numbers. USC, UCLA, Utah maybe a little less. Hell, play ND and you’ll get 20k ND fans from Vegas, same with many of the power schools with built in fanbases.

I think with the new stadium we could play programs like Wyoming and they will likely show up with 10-15K for the game with the chance to see the new stadium. The new stadium should be a big draw for most programs. It has already allowed UNLV to schedule Cal (4 games series) and Iowa State (home and home) for 2020, The also have a home and home with Vanderbilt playing at the new stadium in 2023. UCLA is also scheduled for a home and home in 2024 and 2025.

Boise State and SDSU as well as the rest of the conference can schedule games against most teams, the difference is that UNLV will be the only one that can start going after big time programs for a home and home series instead of just as the visiting team!

I wonder if other Big 10 programs would draw as well or nearly as well as Wisconsin? You would think that some of those programs' fan bases would also love to come to Vegas, especially in the new stadium. I can see some coaches worry about their players getting in trouble.

If they are going with Big10 schools, they should beg Wisconsin, Indiana*, or Nebraska to play in the new stadium. Then take tons of stock photos of a large crowd wearing red like they did when Wisconsin came to town in '07.

*Large crowd may not apply

Ohio st probably has biggest following in college football, they take over fiesta bowl against ND few years ago!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT