ADVERTISEMENT

BYU & Built Bar NIL

LocoRebel

Retired Number
Apr 7, 2011

I dont like seeing BYU get nice things or do things right, but thats pretty awesome for those guys. And great job by byu to get built on brand (i assume built ownership/execs are lds?). Gotta be something similar UNLV can tap into.

If Tony Hseih were still alive, I'd assume Zappos. Maybe Station or Boyd or something. Just seems like it should be feasible.

I knew scholarship players would be inking big deals but this is pretty significant for walk-on’s. 38 walk-on players sign deals equal to the cost of tuition. If BYU can get deals like this I wonder what the big P5 schools can do? I imagine walking-on at some schools will offer a bigger payday than some G5 scholarships. Hopefully UNLV is working on some NIL deals.

I knew scholarship players would be inking big deals but this is pretty significant for walk-on’s. 38 walk-on players sign deals equal to the cost of tuition. If BYU can get deals like this I wonder what the big P5 schools can do? I imagine walking-on at some schools will offer a bigger payday than some G5 scholarships. Hopefully UNLV is working on some NIL deals.
I was thinking the same thing. Plus, if you can do this with an entire football team, the cost to "sponsor" a basketball team would be much less. Seems like there's enough money in this town to put together a nice package for our future players. Ideally, football too obviously, but just thinking of returning our hoops team to top tier nationally.

In the long range this is a huge slap in the face of students that are paying their own way through college and forced to subsidize the athletic departments as part of their fees!

In the long range this is a huge slap in the face of students that are paying their own way through college and forced to subsidize the athletic departments as part of their fees!
But do they at BYU?

They seem to have a pretty successful athletic department. I would guess that the athletic department subsidizes other programs and not the other way around.

I have no idea personally, just sayin' many successful school's athletic department helps finance other things, it is one of the main reasons to create one.

My response from a story on the profitability of the major college athletic departments (these are the major schools - there are hundreds of smaller schools that all lose money):

But that still doesn't mean all these institutions are making money from athletics. According to the NCAA, among the 65 autonomy schools in Division I, only 25 recorded a positive net generated revenue in 2019.

The term "autonomy" refers to a 2014 NCAA decision that allowed the Power Five conferences — the Southeastern Conference (SEC), Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), Big Ten, Pac-12, and Big 12 — to establish their own rules regarding student scholarships, recruitment, and staffing, among other concerns. These schools, especially those in the SEC and Big Ten, along with Clemson in the ACC, typically dominate college football each year.

Among those reporting a net positive, the median profit per school was $7.9 million. And among the 40 autonomy schools reporting a negative net revenue, the median loss was $15.9 million. In other words, the majority of universities in the nation's top athletic conferences — the schools you see on TV every weekend competing for national championships — lost money through their sports programs to the tune of approximately $16 million each.

The majority of universities in the nation’s top athletic conferences lost money through their sports programs to the tune of approximately $16 million each.

But do they at BYU?

They seem to have a pretty successful athletic department. I would guess that the athletic department subsidizes other programs and not the other way around.

I have no idea personally, just sayin' many successful school's athletic department helps finance other things, it is one of the main reasons to create one.
BYU has mad donors. Add in that LDS mafia money and you have yourself a successful football program.

as long as those walk ons don’t have to submit to that no sex honor code, I got no problem with them paying walk ons.

Back to UNLV, what do we have that could match BYU’s NIL endorsement?
A job at raisin’ Cane’s..

We just don’t have the money to compete with other division 1 programs..

BYU has mad donors. Add in that LDS mafia money and you have yourself a successful football program.

as long as those walk ons don’t have to submit to that no sex honor code, I got no problem with them paying walk ons.

Back to UNLV, what do we have that could match BYU’s NIL endorsement?
A job at raisin’ Cane’s..

We just don’t have the money to compete with other division 1 programs..
Don’t all students at BYU have to agree to the honor code? That’s my understanding of their attendance and admissions policy.

Reactions: StoneDog21
Don’t all students at BYU have to agree to the honor code? That’s my understanding of their attendance and admissions policy.
Jimmer was set to go final four before his teammates ratted out their black basketball player. I will never forgive BYU for that!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT