ADVERTISEMENT

BOR email... Say NO to Menzies

Reactions: ThailandReb
Don't you know that nobody in Reno listens to the people that hired them.

Lets do something about this. Dont hide. If UNLV doesnt fire Tina. Im so fn pissed right now. Who are the boosters that support Menzies and TKM? We need to BAN TOGETHER AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS.

I absolutely hope they don't renew her contract. As far as Menzies goes, their belief is that their role is to vote on the contract's legal and financial soundness, not for or against the actual person the admin wants to hire.

Lets do something about this. Dont hide. If UNLV doesnt fire Tina. Im so fn pissed right now. Who are the boosters that support Menzies and TKM? We need to BAN TOGETHER AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS.

Yes, we need to show up at the BOR meeting and let our voices be heard. Hold everyone's feet to the fire. We need to protest at the presser too.

Letting Cliff Flidley blow up our entire program to hire Marcin Menzies...

Itll be one of my personal saddest sports days ever. It'll be the day I drop my wife and I's season tickets at my alma mater (which we both dearly love).

do not let her disrespect you by bringing in a coach that is not qualified for the job? she already brought in a one year wonder, who never would have stayed here as long as the texas tech job was open, on a contract of 1 mill per year. if she lands menzies for under 600k, the board of regents will be calling her a damn hero.

face it. the only way to protest now is with your wallet. taking cheap shots at menzies (twitter has gotten real ugly) will only make the fanbase (already considered delusional) look even worse, and make the job appear as career suicide. what is menzies supposed to do? not take the offer? if he has any smarts about him he wouldnt take it. clearly no one else wants to work for these utter morons.

dont get me wrong, im not saying i back the hire. but i do find it fitting that with all of the talk of a big splash hire, the biggest splash these clowns could make was that of a turd hitting the toilet bowl. it was a mistake to even let this "athletic director" have anything to do with the search, knowing full well that she will not be in that position this time next year. everyone involved with this should be forced to pay for disgracing this basketball program with their jobs.

do not let her disrespect you by bringing in a coach that is not qualified for the job? she already brought in a one year wonder, who never would have stayed here as long as the texas tech job was open, on a contract of 1 mill per year. if she lands menzies for under 600k, the board of regents will be calling her a damn hero.

face it. the only way to protest now is with your wallet. taking cheap shots at menzies (twitter has gotten real ugly) will only make the fanbase (already considered delusional) look even worse, and make the job appear as career suicide. what is menzies supposed to do? not take the offer? if he has any smarts about him he wouldnt take it. clearly no one else wants to work for these utter morons.

dont get me wrong, im not saying i back the hire. but i do find it fitting that with all of the talk of a big splash hire, the biggest splash these clowns could make was that of a turd hitting the toilet bowl. it was a mistake to even let this "athletic director" have anything to do with the search, knowing full well that she will not be in that position this time next year. everyone involved with this should be forced to pay for disgracing this basketball program with their jobs.

You can protest quite effectively if you show up to the BOR meeting and presser and let your voice be heard.

We were already weakened and then received the final Menzies death blow!

Letting Cliff Flidley blow up our entire program to hire Marcin Menzies...

Itll be one of my personal saddest sports days ever. It'll be the day I drop my wife and I's season tickets at my alma mater (which we both dearly love).
Why spends thousands on season tickets for this shitshow when you can get courtside for $15 when the joint empties out.

Reactions: Mjs_702
0-5 in the NCAA tournament.
3-15 against UNM.
Zero wins against top 25 teams.

I'd rather have someone with no HC experience at all.

Last edited:
Yes b/c empowering the BOR even further would be great for everyone involved. Just a hypothetical here to all the people throwing temper tantrums; what if the BOR somehow denied the contract, do you think that would make it more appealing for other potential coaches to come here?

Reactions: TarkisGod
[QUOTE="Mjs_702, post: 269307, member: 1650"]What does that matter at this point?

It's my understanding Steve Lavin would still be interested and he's 100x better a hire than Marvin Menzies.[/QUOTE]

Uhh seriously? You think if something unprecedented like that happened, it would just be instantly forgotten nationally? I know it's hard to think past the here and now, but that would be synonymous with UNLV for decades..

Danny

What exactly are you trying to save here? Don't you see how much of a joke we are and how toxic this whole thing is already? How could it possibly be worse? We're going to be synonymous with what has happened these last six months regardless of what the BOR says about Menzies. We're branded until proven otherwise.

Menzies is a bad hire and a panic hire and that's the bottom line. You and hiker can come on here claiming to be level headed and sing your "support the coach" song all you want, I could care less. Doesn't change the fact that this whole thing stinks of one booster running the show- again.

I don't hate Menzies. I hate the process that led to him and the fact once again our bully shadow boss gets to name his guy, despite almost universal alumni and public opposition to the hire.

Mjs

I would agree with the vast majority of what you just said with just a couple exceptions. Yes this whole process has been an embarrassing shit show, but it would be amplified by 1000 if there were to be BOR shenanigans to go along with it. I'm not over the moon excited about this hire either. Like I said in a different thread, doesn't move the needle much either way which was the reality of the situation we were faced with. Forgive me for having a "level-headed" approach about this and not wanting to write childish, hate emails to the regents. It is a sad state of affairs if Findley really was the main voice behind all of this. But to automatically write it off as a "bad hire" seems extremely premature and unfair in general. Is it a panic hire? Probly.

"I hate the process that led to him and the fact once again our bully shadow boss gets to name his guy" ...100% agree.

DD-
It's not that some people are being "level headed" and some aren't. Dismissing people who choose to express their concerns over an obviously messed up process doesn't make a person "level headed" (I understand you weren't doing this Danny).

I don't recall anyone here attacking anyone personally who didn't 100% deserve the criticism. This is a business decision and the business of UNLVmbb is once again about to make an incompetent business decision.

I could not agree with you more. Up until Thursday, the BOR and the Admin looked like a clown car. Now, the fanbase has officially joined the circus.

Speak with your wallet, not with whiny posts on social media. And please don't make the BOR meeting a ridiculous spectacle. We get enough of those from TKM.

Reactions: Danny The Donger
It's unfortunate that Rice wasn't fired at the end of last year and was able to strong arm our incompetent AD into a raise and extension instead. Wasn't the overall consensus around here in support of that decision though? Ben Howland sure would look nice right now.

It's unfortunate that Rice wasn't fired at the end of last year and was able to strong arm our incompetent AD into a raise and extension instead. Wasn't the overall consensus around here in support of that decision though? Ben Howland sure would look nice right now.

In hindsight that would have saved us. It would be a different world today with Howland, that's for sure.

Our AD got bullied and played by Rice. Then she got bullied by Findley (and a lynch mob) into firing Rice midseason and crushing any remaining credibility she had in the industry. Then she got bullied by Findley into promoting the wrong guy (his guy) to be interim coach. Then she got played like a naive kid by multiple coaches for 4 months during an utterly incompetent search. Then she got played one last time by some hick from West Texas with one year of D1 coaching experience. Then she got bullied by Findley into hiring Menzies (his guy).

Sound about right?
Go Rebs.

Ya I would say that about sums it up...What would you say the general consensus on this board was as far as Dave Rice being retained or fired at the end of last year? It seemed to me that the majority of people on this board supported TKM's decision.

Ya I would say that about sums it up...What would you say the general consensus on this board was as far as Dave Rice being retained or fired at the end of last year? It seemed to me that the majority of people on this board supported TKN's decision.

Id say thats accurate but I'm not sure its really all that relevant. It's the ADs job to make these calls, not fans on a message board. When you're the athletic director its your job to NOT get bullied by everyone in your industry into making the wrong decisions. Giving her a pass for getting played because the majority of the fans supported keeping Dave Rice around doesn't make any sense to me.

I'll vote with my wallet next year and beyond. Going to have a hard time supporting Cliff Findley's basketball program for the immediate future. Saying that makes sadder than I can possibly tell you.

Still holding out hope something major changes. You never know I guess...

I'm certainly not giving TKM a pass on anything; she is the single biggest problem throughout all of this. I meant it as more of a reflection of the people on this message board than TKM. The same people that were blindly supporting Dave Rice up untill we got to the ledge, are the same people up in arms wanting to "occupy the T&M".

I'm certainly not giving TKM a pass on anything; she is the single biggest problem throughout all of this. I meant it as more of a reflection of the people on this message board than TKM. The same people that were blindly supporting Dave Rice up untill we got to the ledge, are the same people up in arms wanting to "occupy the T&M".

Ok, but careful you aren't so excited to call fans out for what you perceive as hypocrisy that you inadvertently ignore the real issues at play here. It's not fair or productive to tell fans "if you didn't think rice should have been fired before the season you shouldn't be mad about the subsequent buffoonery and shadow boss"

Fans are wrong all the time, which is fine. ADs are paid to be savvy, have a plan and a backup plan, and above all not get played/bullied.

MJS... Do me a favor, if you are going to keep using the guys name several times in one post, please spell it right!!

F I N D L A Y.... Thank you

Mj

There has been very little to get excited about during this whole process and I'm definitely not telling fans what they should or shouldn't be mad about. Had you told me that Menzies would be our coach after we fired CDR mid season, I would definitely have been disappointed. But considering how things have transpired over the last few weeks, this is about the quality/tier of coach an honest fan could have expected. Given the ineptitude of our AD/pres and the sheer hate being spewed on social media, it takes a certain kind of person to want to step into this. Not sure I would have the temperament to do so.

Mj

There has been very little to get excited about during this whole process and I'm definitely not telling fans what they should or shouldn't be mad about. Had you told me that Menzies would be our coach after we fired CDR mid season, I would definitely have been disappointed. But considering how things have transpired over the last few weeks, this is about the quality/tier of coach an honest fan could have expected. Given the ineptitude of our AD/pres and the sheer hate being spewed on social media, it takes a certain kind of person to want to step into this. Not sure I would have the temperament to do so.

I think we can clearly do better than this today. I don't think we have to settle for Marvin Menzies. There are other options. One powerful guy is closing the deal here forcing our AD into a panic hire (of his guy).

Is this the best hire one of the the worst athletic directors in the country could make? Maybe I'm with you there. That's hard to argue.

I'm sure I'll get flamed by a bunch of testosterone-driven people for saying this, but here goes...

You all need to chill the @#$% out. Menzies will be our new head coach. Accept it. Show him your support. Stop flaming him. His track record as a coach is way better than what we've had here for years. He's made it to a number of NCAA Tournaments. We haven't been to one in a few years. So that's an improvement. Give a coach with that track record our facilities and the natural recruiting advantages that exist with respect to college students wanting to be in Vegas, and let's see what he can do.

Many of you like to flame our players for not being team players. But when we are signing a reasonably successful head coach, all I see is a bunch of so-called Rebels fans flaming him all over the Internet and not making him feel the least bit welcome. If you don't like it, then please quietly just don't renew your season tickets. But there's no need to show the world how crappy the UNLV fan base is. You all get on Tina for her embarrassing public comments, yet you are doing the same thing here and probably on Twitter too. You all should be so proud.

Okay, flame away at me. I don't care. Marvin's going to be our coach and I'm pulling for him.

I'm sure I'll get flamed by a bunch of testosterone-driven people for saying this, but here goes...

You all need to chill the @#$% out. Menzies will be our new head coach. Accept it. Show him your support. Stop flaming him. His track record as a coach is way better than what we've had here for years. He's made it to a number of NCAA Tournaments. We haven't been to one in a few years. So that's an improvement. Give a coach with that track record our facilities and the natural recruiting advantages that exist with respect to college students wanting to be in Vegas, and let's see what he can do.

Many of you like to flame our players for not being team players. But when we are signing a reasonably successful head coach, all I see is a bunch of so-called Rebels fans flaming him all over the Internet and not making him feel the least bit welcome. If you don't like it, then please quietly just don't renew your season tickets. But there's no need to show the world how crappy the UNLV fan base is. You all get on Tina for her embarrassing public comments, yet you are doing the same thing here and probably on Twitter too. You all should be so proud.

Okay, flame away at me. I don't care. Marvin's going to be our coach and I'm pulling for him.

No need to flame you for this. Menzies wouldn't have been my third choice, but I agree with everything you wrote.

Be careful about what you wish for. I think the last thing you want is the BOR interfering in university business. I certainly will not defend this whole process. And each of us can pick different places where the train left the tracks. For me, it was the firing of Rice in mid-season. But that is history and though fun to rehash, does nothing to move the ball forward.

I don't know much about Menzies, but he seems like a Charlie Spoonhour sort of hire. I don't see any reason to rant and rave about him or his competence if he is going to be the next coach. We ought to support him even if you want to vent about the athletic department. It is certainly not unreasonable to decide to not renew your season tickets as a protest. Whew, that last sentence had a lot of negatives!

One last point, I don't know which coaches are actually still available but I think Lavin and Karl are not good choices. First, if Lavin was such a hot choice, why don't we see him mentioned for jobs at other schools. And Karl is exactly the sort of over-the-hill, never coached in college, type of coach that gets invited for a conversation because some booster pushes the AD to make the call. It is funny though, that at the start of this process, a lot of posters talked about boosters stepping to the plate with money to hire Pitino. It is great for boosters to donate money to the university, but having that get involved in picking coaches is toxic. Think Massimino.

I will not dispute the Marvin may be a panic hire, but it may have been time to panic. I also think the hysteria on this board is being driven by panic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT