ADVERTISEMENT

Booster money

lvhiker

Retired Number
Mar 10, 2002
Every coaching search centers on there being some unidentified pot of money that allows UNLV to punch over its weight. To hire a coach at 3 mil a year with a five year contract, requires 15 million dollars. If UNLV can commit to half of that, some booster or group of boosters need to guarantee the other 7.5 million. Not out of the question, but I will believe it when it happens. But I can see more hope for outside money to lure someone like Deon Sanders.

Every coaching search centers on there being some unidentified pot of money that allows UNLV to punch over its weight. To hire a coach at 3 mil a year with a five year contract, requires 15 million dollars. If UNLV can commit to half of that, some booster or group of boosters need to guarantee the other 7.5 million. Not out of the question, but I will believe it when it happens. But I can see more hope for outside money to lure someone like Deon Sanders.
Everyone thinks a money tree exists. Have to be grateful to boosters that pony up. But do you realize that our regular primary boosters would be serving coffee and bussing tables for the boosters at significant schools? Oh, I know Vegas has money, yada, yada, yada. America had millions of beautiful women too, but none of them are looking at @RebelScrub.

I do think that for either sport; if a true slam dunk hire was genuinely interested in UNLV … extra money would come in. I don’t know that it would be enough. But if Nick Sabin said “I’ll take the job at UNLV for 5M per year … the money would come in. They’d find a way.

Two issues. Not all slam dunks are created equally … why would a slam dunk be genuinely interested in UNLV?

The one big plus for UNLV coaching jobs is that we do not have a state, city, county, etc. income tax. Considering the cost of living and taxes in California, someone would need to make at least 30% more to break even. The state tax is 12.3%. The cost of living in southern California is over 40% higher than in Las Vegas. The cost for rentals in LA is 84% higher than in Las Vegas, etc....

Everyone thinks a money tree exists. Have to be grateful to boosters that pony up. But do you realize that our regular primary boosters would be serving coffee and bussing tables for the boosters at significant schools? Oh, I know Vegas has money, yada, yada, yada. America had millions of beautiful women too, but none of them are looking at @RebelScrub.

I do think that for either sport; if a true slam dunk hire was genuinely interested in UNLV … extra money would come in. I don’t know that it would be enough. But if Nick Sabin said “I’ll take the job at UNLV for 5M per year … the money would come in. They’d find a way.

Two issues. Not all slam dunks are created equally … why would a slam dunk be genuinely interested in UNLV?
"why would a slam dunk be genuinely interested in UNLV?" They would have to be damaged goods - someone disgraced from the limelight and fired from their last job for something politically not correct - but really a good coach that just got caught up in everybody being too woke or something like that -

Reactions: TheMatrix31
Currently there are 7 or more billionaires in the Las Vegas valley, who have all donated to UNLV at one time or another. It only takes one of them to come forward and make a difference. Considering they found the money to pay off the contract for Arroyo, I expect whoever is involved also is putting up money to boost the pay for the new coach, otherwise why fire the existing coach for a lateral change?

The problem is that it is very hard to get these rich boosters to pony money without also wanting to have some control over the use of the money. Separating the money from undue influence is the trick. Historically, UNLV has not been so good at that.

Meanwhile, I can barely wait to see what transpires, a slam dunk or an air ball!

Reactions: Rebel_Luv
The problem is that it is very hard to get these rich boosters to pony money without also wanting to have some control over the use of the money. Separating the money from undue influence is the trick. Historically, UNLV has not been so good at that.

Meanwhile, I can barely wait to see what transpires, a slam dunk or an air ball!
When we suck and only a couple boosters are in - they get greedy with their want demands and their level of interaction - when we are good - lots of people want to donate with no terms - the problem is you and your liberal cronies who dont know how to play the game and they are too afraid to win - just take the easy way out opt not to play - because its chicken U and you are part of the problem. Ultimately Len - you won bro - UNLV is not a University that is known for its Athletics - but you also lost - UNLV is not known for Anything ....

When we suck and only a couple boosters are in - they get greedy with their want demands and their level of interaction - when we are good - lots of people want to donate with no terms - the problem is you and your liberal cronies who dont know how to play the game and they are too afraid to win - just take the easy way out opt not to play - because its chicken U and you are part of the problem. Ultimately Len - you won bro - UNLV is not a University that is known for its Athletics - but you also lost - UNLV is not known for Anything ....
Absolutely not true. As an alumnus accept the fact that fact that athletics have had their major problem over the years. But I am proud of the University for everything they have achieved. They are very well known and respected for a number of their programs.

Currently there are 7 or more billionaires in the Las Vegas valley, who have all donated to UNLV at one time or another. It only takes one of them to come forward and make a difference. Considering they found the money to pay off the contract for Arroyo, I expect whoever is involved also is putting up money to boost the pay for the new coach, otherwise why fire the existing coach for a lateral change?
I don’t know, I’ve followed, as you have, for decades. I’ve never seen one of these guys step it up to significantly upgrade UNLV. Not denying money is out there … I just don’t see them doling out enough by themselves for a top flight coach. If they were willing - why not go all in for a squeaky clean, great head coach that wins, one with ties to UNLV - say Jay Wright in the past. If a multibillionaire really wanted to help UNLV, they could afford an outrageous salary, one that he couldn’t refuse … boom, you check all the boxes. Great coach, no issues, wins, personable, respectful, right approach, a style fit … a media darling … offer him 10M per year to coach UNLV Mr Billionaire, it’s nothing to you … and UNLV would win and win big ….

But it doesn’t even spark a little bit. So I’ll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I understand the frustration, but UNLV is a vastly different and better university than it was when I came in 1973. Back then, there were no doctorate programs, no law school, no medical school, no dental school. Now those graduate and professional programs bring in tens of millions of research money a year. Money used to support students and buy state of the art equipment.

Now it is time for athletics to catch up.

I don’t know, I’ve followed, as you have, for decades. I’ve never seen one of these guys step it up to significantly upgrade UNLV. Not denying money is out there … I just don’t see them doling out enough by themselves for a top flight coach. If they were willing - why not go all in for a squeaky clean, great head coach that wins, one with ties to UNLV - say Jay Wright in the past. If a multibillionaire really wanted to help UNLV, they could afford an outrageous salary, one that he couldn’t refuse … boom, you check all the boxes. Great coach, no issues, wins, personable, respectful, right approach, a style fit … a media darling … offer him 10M per year to coach UNLV Mr Billionaire, it’s nothing to you … and UNLV would win and win big ….

But it doesn’t even spark a little bit. So I’ll believe it when I see it.
In regards to the football team, you are correct, but in regards to academics, there have been numerous large donations that would be game changers if they involved the football team (Fertitta complex being the exception). If UNLV had a winning program, I am sure the money would come in, but as long as we keep dragging along with 0-5 wins per season, they don't want their names connected to the program. But, someone has come up with enough money to pay off the remainder of the contract for Arroyo, and I expect that they have also ponied up some money to upgrade the contract of the next football coach.

If you had unlimited funds how much would you give to UNLV football right now? You could throw billions at the program but there is a ceiling, this may change but as of right now UNLV can only go so far while playing in the MWC. Boise had a nice run but was never in the playoff, Cincinnati had a nice run and lost their coach. It would be like driving a Lambo and living in an mid-range apartment. Expanding the playoff helps G5 schools, so now maybe you can do what basketball can do and build a great roster, win some tough OOC games, blow through your conference and make the playof and see what happens, but at the end of the day in FB you need the conference money, you need the TV money and you need to prestige of a good conference to attract kids willing to play for you. In BB its easy get 2 great players and you have a good team, its not so easy to do that in FB you need alot of great players and you need them to stick around a few years.

Reactions: rebel5280
Not Sanders. He is a Pandora's box.

I cannot understand why Mark Davis does not step up. He has plenty of money and if the Rebels are good, it equals bigger ticket sales, more concessions etc. He would make more money. The local football excitement would be good for everybody. Schedule some big name teams and Allegiant Stadium would generate $$$ for everyone. Mark could be “the Man”…

I am not sure how he would make money? UNLV keeps all the ticket money beyond the cost to run the facility during UNLV games. Not sure how the split is in regards to concessions? UNLV also keeps all the parking money.

Reactions: dcut03
I am not sure how he would make money? UNLV keeps all the ticket money beyond the cost to run the facility during UNLV games. Not sure how the split is in regards to concessions? UNLV also keeps all the parking money.
Im am interested to know how the concessions are split for our games.
If UNLV gets all the profits, then they should reduce prices. Period.

If they are split, then yes, Davis has some rooting interest in UNLV now. Perhaps some additional investment into the program will benefit his bottom line.

Either way, win/win!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Im am interested to know how the concessions are split for our games.
If UNLV gets all the profits, then they should reduce prices. Period.

If they are split, then yes, Davis has some rooting interest in UNLV now. Perhaps some additional investment into the program will benefit his bottom line.

Either way, win/win!
I dont know this as a fact... but I thought it was the opposite. I believe the Raiders ("LVSAB") as the stadium operator got all the F&B concessions.

Maybe I held onto that as a consideration prior to the agreement being approved...

I dont know this as a fact... but I thought it was the opposite. I believe the Raiders ("LVSAB") as the stadium operator got all the F&B concessions.

Maybe I held onto that as a consideration prior to the agreement being approved...
I was straight up wrong:

1. Concessions: Net concession revenue from UNLV Events will belong to UNLV. Pretty straight forward. Stadco controls selection of the concession vendors, etc., per the larger stadium agreement. It also states: “UNLV may provide donated/free food and beverage to players, coaches, game day staff and on-field officials in designated areas.” This will save on come costs for UNLV as they won’t be forced to buy catering from the official concession provider of the new stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT