ADVERTISEMENT

Board Member Responses

Hi Scott - I hope you are well! Regarding the PAC 12, at this time, we have not been asked to join this division. I am in communication with UNLV's President, and I assure you, the President and the Athletic Director will advise a decision once we are confronted with the opportunity. They believe that we will be included. I am told that this item will need to come before the Board of Regents for a final vote. Please keep in contact with me and I will be sure to share any new information I have.

My best,

Stephanie

If I was UNLV I would suggest this approach with the Regents.

'You aren't the boss of me!'

or

You're not my dad!

It worked when I was five.
tantrum GIF

That’s not how it works at all. If we said we are leaving why would the MWC cut us a break in exit fees? The answer is they wouldn’t. The reason why is your example doesn’t apply. This isn’t free agency.

MWC schools have signed contracts with the conference. With 2 years notice they pay $17mm, with one year notice they pay $34mm. Plus distributions stop when they give notice.

There’s a reason why the ACC isn’t caving to FSU and Clemson even though they want to leave and cut a deal. The remaining schools that aren’t leaving want the full amount owed on the contract. The situation here is the same.

Dude math is hard!

I'm not some kind of lawyer!

I asked the one lawyer on this board for some guidance but his expertise in 18th century Agrarian law is useless here..

🙂

Reactions: unlvlurker
Hi Scott - I hope you are well! Regarding the PAC 12, at this time, we have not been asked to join this division. I am in communication with UNLV's President, and I assure you, the President and the Athletic Director will advise a decision once we are confronted with the opportunity. They believe that we will be included. I am told that this item will need to come before the Board of Regents for a final vote. Please keep in contact with me and I will be sure to share any new information I have.

My best,

Stephanie

This sounds at the least that there are on going talks and UNLV brass believe an invite may be coming.

But who knows could just be posturing.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Just sit back and enjoy the ride. Isn’t this fun?
This is me sitting back.

I took a break from here to watch the volleyball game vs Hawaii. Hawaii is a damn good team. In a packed sold out COX pavilion with over 3000 fans we beat them. UNLV (6-2) and Hawaii (6-2) UNLV wins in 5 sets with the 5th set going to 15-13. Hell of a match.

Last edited:
This is me sitting back.

I took a break from here to watch the volleyball game vs Hawaii. Hawaii is a damn good team. In a packed sold out COX pavilion with over 3000 fans we beat them. UNLV (6-2) and Hawaii (6-2) UNLV wins in 5 sets with the 5th set going to 15-13. Hell of a match.
Shocking, this was the most people at a UNLV women's volleyball game.
Some, professional women's volleyball players where there to attend. Our, very own Vegas Thrill.

I spoke with a board member and she said in no way has this been discussed with board members. She said not even behind the scenes casual type conversations as far as she is aware. No board members have mentioned it to her. She fully supports each of the universities making their own independent decisions should that occur. She has no official idea why UNLV wasn't invited but has heard rumors that it is because Las Vegas is now considered a professional sports city and that college support has a ceiling in Las Vegas. They also don't need UNLV to access the Vegas market. Rumor is they are targeting the AAC next and if that falls through they could come back to UNLV. Or if the MWC implodes they would take UNLV they just don't view us worth paying the exit fees. Also they want Gonzaga and St. Mary's for basketball. All of this a rumor that she heard from one person for what it is worth.
Funny it played out just like she said they targeted the AAC then came back to us and wanted Gonzaga and St M for basketball. St M not mentioned yet but believe that is because they need Gonzaga for that to make sense.

This is me sitting back.

Wish I could have made it out.

Shocking, this was the most people at a UNLV women's volleyball game.
Some, professional women's volleyball players where there to attend. Our, very own Vegas Thrill.
Shocking that we've never had 3,200 people show up to a volleyball match? Those are bonkers numbers.

I hope more people can make it out. Even if you don't know volleyball, as @RebelScrub would say while streaming a Las Vegas Reign game from an iPad ca 2012, "are you not enterTAINED?!?!?!?"

We are an experienced and well coached squad. Hope to see more of you out there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT