Big Week for UNR

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
And I hope they drop both.

They play at Texas Tech (ranked) and at TCU (ranked). Win and they are in the top 25.

They are 4-0 on the road and 4-0 at home.

They’ll play FIVE more games outside of Reno (some neutral, some true road) in the non conference.

This conference MAY and a two bid conference because UNR has a very solid shot at attaining an at large bid. Because they are stepping out on the road, because they are playing ranked teams....

I hope they drop both this week so that doesn’t happen. I can root for the good of the conference, but I can’t root for them or SDSU though. Go Boise, that doesn’t bug me.

But if they drop both, it’s highly likely that UNLV will go through its first season ever (?) without butting heads with a ranked team. In fairness, Arizona was supposed to be highly ranked, but that was a Contract game made several seasons back.

This may indeed be a bubble quality team that we have. We might not ever find out because of the way we wiggled into one of the very softest schedules in UNLV history. If that happens, if UNLV ends up with, say, 25 wins and doesn’t get the NCAAT, and end up with a “snub”, it’s a severe injustice to kids who could have handled much more than they were given on their plate.

A school like UNLV should never circle three days in March in July because the schedule gives them no other choice. It’s a rip off to the fans and the players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News