ADVERTISEMENT

Bennett, Menzies, or Lavin?

VegasRebMan

Lottery Pick
Jul 20, 2006
Looks like it will be one of these three:

The three are all about the same age (born early 1960s).

All have ties to the West Coast recruiting scene. Lavin has recruited at the highest level. Bennett recruits Cali and has a great recruiting pipeline to Australia. Menzies' running style should attract pro-aspiring players.

All have had some success in the NCAA Tournament. Lavin the most, but with better players.

All three probably want the UNLV job. Step up for Bennett. Menzies steps up as well and returns to UNLV where he was an Assistant from 2004-05. Lavin appears eager to get back into coaching.

All three seem a better match to me than Cronin, with his defense-first slower style. Can't imagine the pain of watching UNLV v. SDSU if Cronin got the job. Would be a 43-42 grinder!

Reactions: manic water
Bennett's been consistently very good at St. Mary's with a .682 win %. In 15 years he's finished 2nd or better 11x. Then again the only other legit team in that conference until 2011(BYU) has been Gonzaga so...

In 7 years at UCLA Lavin went to 4 S16s and 1 E8 but has not come close to that level of success since(2 NCAA 1st rd boots and 2 NITs in 4 yrs at St. John's). He won the Pac10 reg season his 1st year. No better than 3rd at both UCLA and St. John's since.

Menzies has won at a decent clip(.641) and placed no worse than 3rd in the WAC but these days the WAC consists of powerhouses like UT Rio Grande Valley and Utah Valley. Yeah, no...

If I had to choose from these 3 it'd be Bennett.

Personally I'm intrigued by Chris Beard of Ark-Little Rock. He's 43. Has been in coaching in some form since 1991. Coached a couple yrs jc. 3 yrs in D2. And 1 yr D1. This yr his team went 30-5 in the sun belt conference with notable wins @San Diego St., @Tulsa, @DePaul, Purdue(1st rd double ot ncaa). I hope he's in the mix.

Bennett's been consistently very good at St. Mary's with a .682 win %. In 15 years he's finished 2nd or better 11x. Then again the only other legit team in that conference until 2011(BYU) has been Gonzaga so...

In 7 years at UCLA Lavin went to 4 S16s and 1 E8 but has not come close to that level of success since(2 NCAA 1st rd boots and 2 NITs in 4 yrs at St. John's). He won the Pac10 reg season his 1st year. No better than 3rd at both UCLA and St. John's since.

Menzies has won at a decent clip(.641) and placed no worse than 3rd in the WAC but these days the WAC consists of powerhouses like UT Rio Grande Valley and Utah Valley. Yeah, no...

If I had to choose from these 3 it'd be Bennett.

Personally I'm intrigued by Chris Beard of Ark-Little Rock. He's 43. Has been in coaching in some form since 1991. Coached a couple yrs jc. 3 yrs in D2. And 1 yr D1. This yr his team went 30-5 in the sun belt conference with notable wins @San Diego St., @Tulsa, @DePaul, Purdue(1st rd double ot ncaa). I hope he's in the mix.

I agree with your thoughts on Bennett. My concern with Lavin is that his last two seasons at UCLA he went 20-12 (6th) and 10-19 (6th), and his last three seasons at St Johns he went 17-14 (11th), 20-13 (3rd), and 20-12 (5th).

I haven't heard if Chris Beard is being considered. I just listed Bennett, Menzies, and Lavin as those are the names in the paper and spoken on the radio.

Reactions: ThailandReb
Why aren't the boosters interested in Martin? He'd be amazing here! Especially compared to the other names being mentioned.

Reactions: 76Rebel Man
Lavin probably too much of a risk.

We signal we are willing to go $2 million+ and Menzies and Bennett are the best options? Something is weird. Not interested in any of those 3.

Kenny Payne, please.

He's a pretty abrasive guy and that's not everyone's cup of tea. I like him but can't see it happening. Who knows now though, everyone's starting to feel the heat on this one..

Reactions: UNLV2Grad
There's some telling stats floating around about Mezies:

0-6 in the postseason

0-16 against Power 5 schools

0-14 vs. Top 25 schools

1-11 in his past 12 games against the Mountain West

Come on, she's out of her f'n mind if she thinks she's gonna hire this guy.

Abrasive personality? Ok. I can buy that. But we've had super-nice-guy-Dave and where did that get us? I love the idea of a coach not taking any sh!t from his players. The inmates have run the asylum long enough.

Abrasive personality? Ok. I can buy that. But we've had super-nice-guy-Dave and where did that get us? I love the idea of a coach not taking any sh!t from his players. The inmates have run the asylum long enough.
I don't know what the consensus is but there is some opposition. Minds can change though. Who knew Cronin was a serious candidate, I certainly didn't. Seems like a desperation move, he runs, excuse me, walks one of the slowest paced teams in the nation. This is Las Vegas, you got to at least act like you're trying to play up tempo to get the masses interested.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT