ADVERTISEMENT

Ballot Question #1

LVRebel2000

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2011
Las Vegas
Question 1 proposes amendments to modify the authorities of the Board of Regents of the Nevada System of Higher Education.

Any good insight on this question? When reading through the pros and cons, I can see both sides. I don't necessarily love the current structure, but the amendment is pretty vague also, and doesn't give much insight as to how it would impact things.

TIA

It appears this is a power issue. Should the Regents have control of their own board in regards to how they operate or should the State Legislature have power to set their rules and procedures? The arguments below were issued by the Nevada Secretary of State.

ARGUMENTS FOR PASSAGE

Voting in favor of Question 1 will allow for additional legislative oversight and accountability of the Board of Regents to improve public higher education in Nevada. Question 1 would mandate that the Legislature provide for the governance of the State University, giving the Legislature the ability to change the policies and procedures of the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE)to be more responsive to the higher education needs of the State.

ARGUMENTS AGAINST PASSAGE

Proponents of Question 1 want voters to believe that the framers of the Nevada Constitution got it wrong, and that the Legislature’s involvement will somehow improve the transparency, efficiency and effectiveness of Nevada’s higher education system. Unfortunately, passage of this ballot question does not guarantee any of these promised benefits. Question 1 is nothing but the Legislature trying to gain more power and control, and it would only serve to add political pressures to a governance system that is serving this State well. Previous attempts to change higher education governance, including a similar 2020 ballot question to remove the constitutional status of the Board of Regents, have failed because Nevadans recognize the importance of keeping the system in the Nevada Constitution as originally drafted.

OMG if you love UNLV there’s only one way to vote on Q1 - YES. The primary reason this is on the ballot is bc donors and the Vegas Chamber had enough with the Board of Regents f’n up everything when it came to UNLV, especially micro-managing every decision and running out presidents resulting in a revolving door of leadership at UNLV. Despite 9/13 BOR seats in the south NSHE is still heavily influenced by N. NV. The existing constitutional provision regarding the “University of NV” system prevents the Legislature from making any real governance changes. Q1 is the first step in this process. Anyone voting no should never again bitch about N. NV and UNR. For goodness sake vote Yes.

Great..I posed this question on the football board because it’s football season…

A lawyer came by and explained it.

Already filled it out.

Greeeeeat…

As someone running for Board of Regents, I voted No for the reasons above. I wouldn't want to give the legislature or governor power to really use their political beliefs to influence college education and academic freedoms. I also love UNLV and am ready to butt heads with some of these these other Regents and the favoritism to UNR and the north, so again if you're on the east side of town vote Aaron Bautista for Regent District 4.

As someone running for Board of Regents, I voted No for the reasons above. I wouldn't want to give the legislature or governor power to really use their political beliefs to influence college education and academic freedoms. I also love UNLV and am ready to butt heads with some of these these other Regents and the favoritism to UNR and the north, so again if you're on the east side of town vote Aaron Bautista for Regent District 4.
Good luck with your election!

If you get in, please keep us updated regarding who is pro- and anti-UNLV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT