ADVERTISEMENT

Back down to earth!

rebel5280

Rebel Legend
Feb 26, 2006
Looks likeTJ Cheeseburger‘s team is coming back to earth a little bit!

Looks likeTJ Cheeseburger‘s team is coming back to earth a little bit!
It is only one game. This is suppose to be a rebuilding year for OTZ. YET he has SEVERAL quality wins and has signed some high quality players for next year. OTZ hit the ground running when he landed in Ames. They have a big enough fan base and boosters that they could steer $$ some high caliber players to play there. Unless a scandle happens OTZ will be there for the rest of his coaching life.

Last edited:
It is only one game. This is suppose to be a rebuilding year for OTZ. YET he has SEVERAL quality wins and has signed some high quality players for next year. OTZ hit the ground running when he landed in Ames. They have a big enough fan base and boosters that they could steer $$ some high caliber players to play there. Unless a scandle happens OTZ will be there for the rest of his coaching life.
I didn’t like when he was hired here and was glad to see him go! Now that being said he has lost twice in conference and the media making him out to be some great coach is just that the media. All I know is he did very little here and UNLVis what matters to me!

Reactions: RunninReb1989
I didn’t like when he was hired here and was glad to see him go! Now that being said he has lost twice in conference and the media making him out to be some great coach is just that the media. All I know is he did very little here and UNLVis what matters to me!
I wasn’t nearly as upset with him as Menzies but that’s because I knew what Menzies was about before he landed here. Smoke and mirrors and controlling the narrative, attempted smooth talk bullshit, catch phrases, zero substance and ability.

That said, Pretzelburger was awful and just stole money from the university with the job he did. We were just lucky we fluked our way into getting half of it back.

I know Menzies gets critized. But he did find some ballers. JTT is a force for the defending national champs. Also other players better than anything Otz or Krug have brought in here.

Reactions: ricovegas
I know Menzies gets critized. But he did find some ballers. JTT is a force for the defending national champs. Also other players better than anything Otz or Krug have brought in here.
I remember listening to a conversation on espn 1100 a couple years ago that was a second hand relay of a conversation. Grain of salt. Blah blah.

The Baylor assistant who initially put JTT on Scott Drew's radar was initially blown off by Drew, essentially saying "why do I need to look at this kid at UNLV who isnt consistently in their rotation"... after hearing be was in the Basketball Without Borders program and pestered by the assistant, he gave the tape a chance.

Drew immediately intended to offer, but the first thing they had to do was unteach all the bad habits CMM instilled in him.

No idea if thays true, but it's disappointing to hear something we all kinda saw to some extent in those teams.

Point being i think both Otz and KK staffs did more with what they have. That 2nd class of menzies should have been WAY better than it was.

Iowa State's SOS is 340. At least 18 teams had weaker schedules.

Iowa State over the first 3 games in conference has played #1 ranked Baylor losing by. They beat the same Texas Tech by 4 that just beat Kansas, and they Lost by a dozen to Oklahoma. Their conference is stacked with good teams, so I see a very solid team that would most likely beat UNLV by 10-20.

No doubt. But, I don't believe they are top 15. Agree to disagree. Or. You can declare victory over me, because I could not care ,essentially about Otz or ISU

This is one of the pettiest threads I've ever seen. "Back down to earth" lol they are playing and hanging with some of the best teams in college basketball and even have a few wins over top 25 teams.

They now have four wins over top 25 programs, and lost by 1 to top 10 rated Kansas last week. While at UNLV we do what?

They now have four wins over top 25 programs, and lost by 1 to top 10 rated Kansas last week. While at UNLV we do what?
Credit where credit is due. He sucked badly here but he’s beating good teams at ISU and looks like a top 4 seed. He’s probably got more quality wins in the past three weeks than UNLV has had in the past six years.

Reactions: Rebel_Luv
02n8og5mdhf11.jpg

Isu is now dead last in Big 12 at 3-8. Will say this year Big 12 is strong and deep so 3-8 is not completely embarrassing. Unlv would not even sniff 3-8 in that conference. Of course we would have better players if we were in a P5 conference.

Isu is now dead last in Big 12 at 3-8. Will say this year Big 12 is strong and deep so 3-8 is not completely embarrassing. Unlv would not even sniff 3-8 in that conference. Of course we would have better players if we were in a P5 conference.
I don't care if it is petty. Seeing Otz's team go 4-8 over the last 12 put a smile on my face. I think this is closer to the norm for ISU under Otz than the hot start they had.

Now Isu is 3-9 in the conference. About 6 weeks ago Isu was a lock for the ncaa tourney. Not so much now.

One bit of good news on a dark day yday. Iowa st lost by 31, I would say that ends Iowa St chances at ncaa. They were a lock 2 months ago.

Reactions: JTthe2nd
One bit of good news on a dark day yday. Iowa st lost by 31, I would say that ends Iowa St chances at ncaa. They were a lock 2 months ago.

Wow! The sign of a great Coach, goes from starting the season 12-0 to going 8-12 the rest of the season! SMH, I'm just glad he wasn't coaching the Rebels and the A.D. that hired him is not at UNLV anymore.

Last edited:
Strange how MM has some quality recruits given what a horrible coach he is. Guess that fits his M.O., used car salesman with no substance. Sells kids on a dream and once they’re he’s off to the club.

Crap. Isu made ncaa as an 11th seed. I thought the way the collapsed the last 2 months that they would not make it.

Reactions: Trax0r
they are beating L$U right now.

Caleb Grill with a a 3, steal and dunk to put them ahead..

I don't know why so many can't get over otz. Yes as soon as that helicopter landed he already had one foot out the door, and true he was never interested in making UNLV better, but he is gone, i don't give a damn about him or how good or bad he does elsewhere. He has nothing too do with UNLV and never will again.
We have KK and Hartman who actually seem like they care about UNLV and want to bring us back to the glory days. Rather they do or not I don't know but at least they are making me back into the fan I use to be. GO REBELS!!!

I don't know why so many can't get over otz. Yes as soon as that helicopter landed he already had one foot out the door, and true he was never interested in making UNLV better, but he is gone, i don't give a damn about him or how good or bad he does elsewhere. He has nothing too do with UNLV and never will again.
We have KK and Hartman who actually seem like they care about UNLV and want to bring us back to the glory days. Rather they do or not I don't know but at least they are making me back into the fan I use to be. GO REBELS!!!
Me rooting for CKK and the current staff does not preclude me from rooting against TJO and his staff.

Cyclone fan coming in peace. Is the Otz hatred just because he left or is there more to the story? Genuinely curious

For most, I think it was the feeling that he really stopped giving UNLV his best effort after it was clear that he would return to ISU. Not helping players stay didn't help.
He is a Midwest guy. He fits in, and is a good coach.
We have a guy who fits UNLV. He will be good also.

For most, I think it was the feeling that he really stopped giving UNLV his best effort after it was clear that he would return to ISU. Not helping players stay didn't help.
He is a Midwest guy. He fits in, and is a good coach.
We have a guy who fits UNLV. He will be good also.
That makes sense

Cyclone fan coming in peace. Is the Otz hatred just because he left or is there more to the story? Genuinely curious

there are all kinds of layers to the hate, lol.

First he wasn't a splashy hire. People wanted Pitino or some equivalent. So he disappointed there.

He was hired by an AD that many disliked, so he was hated right off the bat because of that.

He arrived in a helicopter for his intro press conference, most scoffed at that.

He didn't recruit all blue chip players, people didn't like that.

He had a slow start, an OK, but not great second season, then a very disappointing third season.

The third season likely was due to the likelihood of leaving for ISU before the end of the fall semester.

The fact that you guys are in the sweet 16 just stings a bit. Especially in year 1 coming off a 2 win season and doing it with a guy that most thought wasn't good enough for us giving you big minutes and closing out important games.

I think he came in with good intentions, but it was apparent that he was checked out in that 3rd season.

there are all kinds of layers to the hate, lol.

First he wasn't a splashy hire. People wanted Pitino or some equivalent. So he disappointed there.

He was hired by an AD that many disliked, so he was hated right off the bat because of that.

He arrived in a helicopter for his intro press conference, most scoffed at that.

He didn't recruit all blue chip players, people didn't like that.

He had a slow start, an OK, but not great second season, then a very disappointing third season.

The third season likely was due to the likelihood of leaving for ISU before the end of the fall semester.

The fact that you guys are in the sweet 16 just stings a bit. Especially in year 1 coming off a 2 win season and doing it with a guy that most thought wasn't good enough for us giving you big minutes and closing out important games.

I think he came in with good intentions, but it was apparent that he was checked out in that 3rd season.
Otz was only here 2 seasons~!! As for recruiting he did sign 2 high QUALITY players . One is starting on Creighton and other ruined his life with a poor decision!

Reactions: Trax0r
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT