ADVERTISEMENT

Aw Come On Man!

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
What was all the noise about when CDR was let go? No more 5 stars and Prima Donnas. We want our program built with 4 year guys, we want a program built to last. We want to have a connection to guys playing their last home game on Senior Night!

So CMM was hired too late to recruit anybody he would be inclined to recruit under normal circumstances. Hence everybody he recruited the first year is either gone or redshirted with the exception of Mooring and Clyburn & Clyburn isn’t even good enough to start on this team. So we have basically had 2 complete turnovers of all personnel 2 years in a row and none of that is his fault.

Next year will be the first real time CMM will actually have some of his guys returning for a second season. I am really looking forward to seeing Juiston in his senior year as well as watching Beck, Diong, Hardy & Dembele develop. I am glad that McCoy will be getting paid to develop his defensive skills next year.

The way I see it we have 2 more available spots for next year. Anthony Smith and Woodbury. Smith’s removal from the team was a big blow but I commend CMM for demanding character from his recruits unlike his predecessor. I say Woodbury because he is expendable with no harm and no foul. No matter what the circumstances are if you can’t show up to practice and games and do what the coach asks you to do then you are a potential problem down the road.

With all of the uproar going on with the pay to play it is entirely conceivable that we could land another high volume scorer to go along with Hamilton and possibly a point guard and that will get us where we need to be. We don’t need 12 or 13 NBA bound guys on the team. The sad reality is that we need guys that are happy to be practice players and mop up minute guys.

It will be amazing how much better everybody on the court (Beck, Hardy, Diong) will look if we just get 1 or 2 guys that can take the scoring load off of everybody’s back. In my mind next year is more like Coach Marvin Menzies’ First Year!

Okay everybody can bash me now !

Nice reasonable thoughtful post. No invective, or player or coach bashing, just sharing of some of the upside at the almost end of a roller coaster season that was ultimately disappointing.

Disappointing because, I for one, get overly optimistic early on. I hope the guys can have a positive experience in the MWC tournament, but whatever happens, this year's version of the rebels was better than last year's version.

What was all the noise about when CDR was let go? No more 5 stars and Prima Donnas. We want our program built with 4 year guys, we want a program built to last. We want to have a connection to guys playing their last home game on Senior Night!

So CMM was hired too late to recruit anybody he would be inclined to recruit under normal circumstances. Hence everybody he recruited the first year is either gone or redshirted with the exception of Mooring and Clyburn & Clyburn isn’t even good enough to start on this team. So we have basically had 2 complete turnovers of all personnel 2 years in a row and none of that is his fault.

Next year will be the first real time CMM will actually have some of his guys returning for a second season. I am really looking forward to seeing Juiston in his senior year as well as watching Beck, Diong, Hardy & Dembele develop. I am glad that McCoy will be getting paid to develop his defensive skills next year.

The way I see it we have 2 more available spots for next year. Anthony Smith and Woodbury. Smith’s removal from the team was a big blow but I commend CMM for demanding character from his recruits unlike his predecessor. I say Woodbury because he is expendable with no harm and no foul. No matter what the circumstances are if you can’t show up to practice and games and do what the coach asks you to do then you are a potential problem down the road.

With all of the uproar going on with the pay to play it is entirely conceivable that we could land another high volume scorer to go along with Hamilton and possibly a point guard and that will get us where we need to be. We don’t need 12 or 13 NBA bound guys on the team. The sad reality is that we need guys that are happy to be practice players and mop up minute guys.

It will be amazing how much better everybody on the court (Beck, Hardy, Diong) will look if we just get 1 or 2 guys that can take the scoring load off of everybody’s back. In my mind next year is more like Coach Marvin Menzies’ First Year!

Okay everybody can bash me now !

I'll give Menzies a pass on last year but this year counts for sure. Better than last year but the same lack of effort and poor discipline that I saw last year. I didn't see last year's team improve as the season went on. I don't see this year's team improving as the season went on. I think that's poor coaching right? Year 2 Musselman had Reno in the dance and they were complete trash for several years before he got there.

I'll give Menzies a pass on last year but this year counts for sure. Better than last year but the same lack of effort and poor discipline that I saw last year. I didn't see last year's team improve as the season went on. I don't see this year's team improving as the season went on. I think that's poor coaching right? Year 2 Musselman had Reno in the dance and they were complete trash for several years before he got there.
That’s nice that you are willing to give him a pass on last year but wondering why not this year due to the fact that he basically had to throw that entire team away. We seemed to be getting better as the year went along until our guards started making like 4 out of every 30 shots they were taking.

BTW, how did Musselman do his first year? Don’t know, just asking.

That’s nice that you are willing to give him a pass on last year but wondering why not this year due to the fact that he basically had to throw that entire team away. We seemed to be getting better as the year went along until our guards started making like 4 out of every 30 shots they were taking.

BTW, how did Musselman do his first year? Don’t know, just asking.

24-14 tied for 4th. The year before UNR was 9-22. He's done an excellent job of maximizing the talent he has and coaching to his players' strengths. I'd be shocked if he isn't gone this year.

24-14 tied for 4th. The year before UNR was 9-22. He's done an excellent job of maximizing the talent he has and coaching to his players' strengths. I'd be shocked if he isn't gone this year.
Offers must not have been great last year. I thought he’d bolt. It’s pretty well known he isn’t a Reno type of guy (who is?).... he’s gonna parlay that gig nicely. Like Fox did. Like Trent did. Stepping stones do that if you’re successful.

Unfortunately, UNLV’s a stepping stone now.

I have mixed feelings right now. Conference play was certainly a let down. We should be at least .500. However, if we win Saturday we will be. With a 20 win season.
Can't explain some of the play have seen compared to the 1st half of the season. It's either they forgot how to play inside out, feeding our big guys down low, or perhaps conference teams, with better talent than the OOC teams, put more pressure on the bigs. Regardless, and this is a broken record playing, Menzies I feel has done well given what he had to work with. Still looks like some fundamental ball issues lingering. That is on Menzies to tighten up. End of next season will see if we're on the right path.

OP was too long to read. Can someone just summarize it for me below? Thanks in advance.

• UNLV Admin blow up program
  • Menzies comes in to a shit show
  • Gets some half decent guys this year for rebuilding, improves over last year
  • More good recruits coming next year to build with a decent core of returning players
Good Cliff Notes!

Offers must not have been great last year. I thought he’d bolt. It’s pretty well known he isn’t a Reno type of guy (who is?).... he’s gonna parlay that gig nicely. Like Fox did. Like Trent did. Stepping stones do that if you’re successful.

Unfortunately, UNLV’s a stepping stone now.

I think Muss will stay one more year at Nevada. 4 of starters should return, and he will have actual depth next year. If a top 20 job and $2+ million per year comes calling this year he will probably be gone. He has a son that plays in the bay area and is jr. this year. It is easy for him to make trips over to watch him play. Another reason why I think he leaves after next year.

Offers were not great last year, the only real one he had was at Cal, and they are a mess with no easy way out. Washington was not interested in him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT