ADVERTISEMENT

Arroyo mentioned as a possible candidate at Colorado

Lock him into a big buyout so we have the $$$$ to secure a quality replacement if/when the time comes.

Reactions: 220reb
BSU has gone for decades (not including the last two years) with a great record almost every year, and they are typically able to hold onto their coaches for around 4-5 years before they moved on to greener pastures!
If Arroyo keeps winning, I expect it would be at least another season or two before we would lose him. If the team keeps getting better, by then we could be in the Big12 or Pac12 which would put us on even ground with programs like Arizona, Colorado, etc..

The one that did something right is at Missouri now.
For a school and community that is known for hospitality sure dont know how to take care of things that is good. The product, Arroyo, is still here....see what UNLV will do.

He got us watching into October…. That’s doing something…
And WE WILL watch for November too … because they set themselves up for it … even if we blow it … they gave us something to keep us interested.

That’s what aggravates me with a poor hoops OOC … you can “succeed” and it’s a net negative if you are interested in the field of 64/68

If Arroyo proves he can win a couple more games this year.. that mean he is a good coach and has absolutely NO business wasting any more years of his career at UNLV. He will be gone like a fart in the wind ! 100000 % sure about that. UNLV is a dumpster fire and always will be !!

• Wow
Reactions: LVRebel2000
BSU has gone for decades (not including the last two years) with a great record almost every year, and they are typically able to hold onto their coaches for around 4-5 years before they moved on to greener pastures!
If Arroyo keeps winning, I expect it would be at least another season or two before we would lose him. If the team keeps getting better, by then we could be in the Big12 or Pac12 which would put us on even ground with programs like Arizona, Colorado, etc..
if we go bowling - he is gone ..expect that !!

if we go bowling - he is gone ..expect that !!
Where? He’d be a tough sell to any P-5 fanbase. Even if he runs the table (won’t happen), he’s a sub 500 coach at a historically poor school. You and I may think it’s decent because we know UNLV FB history … but it would still be an absolutely awful optic to any P5 fanbase.

At the time, our last real success was 25 years ago and we hired a “successful” coach from the WAC. How many were enthused with the hiring of Marv? Now imagine hiring a career 500 coach from the WAC …

If unlv goes 6 and 6 a f goes to bowl and someone from p5 hires him that's fine, because he hasn't beaten anyone and getting beat 40 to 7 by San Jose let him go, seriously some of you think getting 6 wins in this dump of conference is achievement!

Thought if he went 9-3 and plays for the MWC championship that he’d get a look, but honestly think it would take another year before he gets an opportunity. If he wins 7/8 games this year and does better next year, I think someone will offer him. Colorado would be the only job this year that I could see offering him only because they don’t have much to offer. Maybe Cal if that job opens, but I believe Wilcox will get 1 more year. Next year I could see a few jobs opening that might be interested if he takes UNLV bowling 2 years in a row. Cal, Arizona and maybe even Missouri would be the most logical.

One wild card is San Jose St if Brennan gets hired somewhere. New facilities, new stadium and his alma mater. Don’t know that he would (I believe P5 is what he wants), but I don’t think it would be an automatic “no” either.

Thought if he went 9-3 and plays for the MWC championship that he’d get a look, but honestly think it would take another year before he gets an opportunity. If he wins 7/8 games this year and does better next year, I think someone will offer him. Colorado would be the only job this year that I could see offering him only because they don’t have much to offer. Maybe Cal if that job opens, but I believe Wilcox will get 1 more year. Next year I could see a few jobs opening that might be interested if he takes UNLV bowling 2 years in a row. Cal, Arizona and maybe even Missouri would be the most logical.

One wild card is San Jose St if Brennan gets hired somewhere. New facilities, new stadium and his alma mater. Don’t know that he would (I believe P5 is what he wants), but I don’t think it would be an automatic “no” either.
WTF? Personally, I am good with Arroyo being here in the foreseeable future if no one want him. Hell yeah! Let's keep this thing going. WTF??? We got great QB, great RBs and WRs' and our defense is improving. Yeah, we ran through buzzsaw...cmon man.

Reactions: ckfitz
If Arroyo proves he can win a couple more games this year.. that mean he is a good coach and has absolutely NO business wasting any more years of his career at UNLV. He will be gone like a fart in the wind ! 100000 % sure about that. UNLV is a dumpster fire and always will be !!
Your takes/opinions on UNLV sports continue to just be negative & mostly incorrect anyway.. Why put time into a message board if you’re subtly rooting on poor results/outcomes for the programs you want to support? Honestly so confused.. Whether you’re trolling or disgruntled, if UNLV is a “dumpster fire”, why waste your time following and posting negative stuff all the time? To each their own, just don’t get it..

Your takes/opinions on UNLV sports continue to just be negative & mostly incorrect anyway.. Why put time into a message board if you’re subtly rooting on poor results/outcomes for the programs you want to support? Honestly so confused.. Whether you’re trolling or disgruntled, if UNLV is a “dumpster fire”, why waste your time following and posting negative stuff all the time? To each their own, just don’t get it..
Just because something is broken once, you dont throw it away....there is enough evidence to support Arroyo. Let's do it! Let's go!

Just because something is broken once, you dont throw it away....there is enough evidence to support Arroyo. Let's do it! Let's go!
It’s not just football, basketball as well.. Doom & gloom all the time.. Operating in that mindset constantly, might be time to walk away.. You know, I’m gonna bite my tongue.. & Trip, Rebs @ 4-2, ain’t nothing broken or wrong with arroyo, got my support.. So far.. lol Post was related to other points..

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Recruiting or talent evaluating has to pick up. We have literally everything in place to attract Top mid-major to midlevel Power 5 talent!. Yet we are not landing at a high rate the talent IMO we should be getting! We should not be losing to anybody in ALMOST any mid-major for almost any recruit !

Recruiting or talent evaluating has to pick up. We have literally everything in place to attract Top mid-major to midlevel Power 5 talent!. Yet we are not landing at a high rate the talent IMO we should be getting! We should not be losing to anybody in ALMOST any mid-major for almost any recruit !

He just locked down two of UNLV's highest recruiting classes ever.

Most top G5s including Boise State at their peak hover around #50 in recruiting. I think Arroyo's last class was #65 ?

It’s not just football, basketball as well.. Doom & gloom all the time.. Operating in that mindset constantly, might be time to walk away.. You know, I’m gonna bite my tongue.. & Trip, Rebs @ 4-2, ain’t nothing broken or wrong with arroyo, got my support.. So far.. lol Post was related to other points..

Fan bases (All of them) break down like this by varying degrees based on their performance. The percentage of types of fans differs but every fan base has these..

1) The ever optimist- Can be annoying in their optimism and delusion. Every coach deserves one more year.

2) Positive Guy But...- Tries to spin things in a positive light but will at least acknowledge when things are going bad. Tends to give the coach the benefit of the doubt longer than most but will eventually concede time for a change.

3) The realist- Self explanatory

4) Negative Guy but...Tends to always find the negative but will at least say 'Nice win'. Coach is on hot seat after one bad season.

5) Ever Pessimist- Annoying in their constant state of pessimism. Nothing outside of winning a conference title is good enough. Coach should be fired half way through first season.

6) Why are you here when you would rather be right with your hot takes than see your own team win guy- Example, UNLV basketball game..Dude behind me bitching because the Rebs missed a few 3s. Wouldn't shut up about it...They hit one to take the lead and instead of cheering like everyone else in the building he yells out 'FINALLY!'. Believes the coach should be fired after the first false start of the year.

I hate that guy..

🙂

Fan bases (All of them) break down like this by varying degrees based on their performance. The percentage of types of fans differs but every fan base has these..

1) The ever optimist- Can be annoying in their optimism and delusion. Every coach deserves one more year.

2) Positive Guy But...- Tries to spin things in a positive light but will at least acknowledge when things are going bad. Tends to give the coach the benefit of the doubt longer than most but will eventually concede time for a change.

4) Negative Guy but...Tends to always find the negative but will at least say 'Nice win'. Coach is on hot seat after one bad season.

5) Ever Pessimist- Annoying in their constant state of pessimism. Nothing outside of winning a conference title is good enough. Coach should be fired half way through first season.

6) Why are you here when you would rather be right with your hot takes than see your own team win guy- Example, UNLV basketball game..Dude behind me bitching because the Rebs missed a few 3s. Wouldn't shut up about it...They hit one to take the lead and instead of cheering like everyone else in the building he yells out 'FINALLY!'. Believes the coach should be fired after the first false start of the year.

I hate that guy..

🙂
You hit the nail on the head.

Pollyana tree huggers that can't admit when they're wrong and doomsday naysayers that can't admit when they're wrong - those are the worst. Especially when they "bolt" ... because anything is better than being wrong, correct? It's soooo soft. Of course, when they bolt, it's not because they were wrong and can't admit it - it's because the tone of whatever platform it is, lol. It's constant playing the victim, to the bitter end ... so pathetic.

Ego kills.

I hate that guy..

🙂
The problem with this scale, EVERYONE thinks they are #3

The problem with this scale, EVERYONE thinks they are #3

There are some sub categories..

Won't let the past go guy- As a Steeler fan if I have to hear about the Steel Curtain on more bleeping time....Let it go...

Casual guy- If they are winning shows up. If not, nope...Can't name more than a player or two, but has all the gear..

He just locked down two of UNLV's highest recruiting classes ever.

Most top G5s including Boise State at their peak hover around #50 in recruiting. I think Arroyo's last class was #65 ?
I know we are better than years past , but we should be destroying ever mid-major in recruiting. I see us beating a lot of lower division one schools. Might have good rankings but not highly acclaimed. if Brumfield does not come back we might have 2 wins. I hope we turned the corner. Still have room for growth . Young players and changing the culture does not happen over night. At least not at UNLV.

I know we are better than years past , but we should be destroying ever mid-major in recruiting. I see us beating a lot of lower division one schools. Might have good rankings but not highly acclaimed. if Brumfield does not come back we might have 2 wins. I hope we turned the corner. Still have room for growth . Young players and changing the culture does not happen over night. At least not at UNLV.

I'm not sure what high rankings but not highly acclaimed even means? What G5 school is getting showered with recruiting accolades?

Sanchez was getting credit for being a good recruiter and Arroyo has had classes ranked 30 slots higher.

We aren't going to beat every G5 for every recruit. Some players want to stay close to home. Others might see a crowded QB room and look elsewhere. In terms of facilities Fertitta complex is amazing, but we aren't the only G5 school with great facilities. CSU has excellent facilities. Wyoming has great facilities as well. Boise same thing.

The San Jose loss was bad. There's no doubt about it.

But the Rebs are sitting at 4-2. If I could see the future and told people UNLV would be 4-2 after 6 games just about everyone on here would have said 'I'll take it'..

But the Rebs are sitting at 4-2. If I could see the future and told people UNLV would be 4-2 after 6 games just about everyone on here would have said 'I'll take it'..
Definitely. We can definitely still end up with a strong season. Really, all we would need is 2 more wins to get to be bowl eligible. I know that most people here would prefer more (me too) obviously, but it's still good progress. I think the big questions right now are about health. What's the status of Brum? How about our receivers? Additionally, how will we react after getting punched in the face this past weekend?

Definitely. We can definitely still end up with a strong season. Really, all we would need is 2 more wins to get to be bowl eligible. I know that most people here would prefer more (me too) obviously, but it's still good progress. I think the big questions right now are about health. What's the status of Brum? How about our receivers? Additionally, how will we react after getting punched in the face this past weekend?

I'm leaning towards Doug not playing. Arroyo said ankle and neck (I think).

I wish Rebs were playing anyone but Air Force this week.

I'd love to see Rebs win, 8 or 9 games. Reality is they probably aren't there yet. 6 and possibly 7 are a real possibility.

Anything less than bowl eligibility would be a disappointment, especially after the start they had..

Reactions: LVRebel2000
In spite of looking like UNLV 2018 last time out, I’ll take where we are at, too.

Didn’t like what I saw one tiny bit, sucking in every phase of the game against a decent team is disheartening.

Let's just hope Doug gets back and the team can get some swagger instead of being demoralized. It’s a big test right now in terms of team psyche. Are they fragile as in the past? Or do they get back at it? It’s critical; it will tell us a lot about this team, imo.

Note: that doesn’t mean you HAVE to win or dominate … the response is more important than the particular result, in my opinion.

In spite of looking like UNLV 2018 last time out, I’ll take where we are at, too.

Didn’t like what I saw one tiny bit, sucking in every phase of the game against a decent team is disheartening.

Let's just hope Doug gets back and the team can get some swagger instead of being demoralized. It’s a big test right now in terms of team psyche. Are they fragile as in the past? Or do they get back at it? It’s critical; it will tell us a lot about this team, imo.

Note: that doesn’t mean you HAVE to win or dominate … the response is more important than the particular result, in my opinion.
Exactly. We may not win any of the next 2-3 weeks, but we still have a chance to finish the year on a positive note. If Brum is going to miss extended time, personally, I'd like to see Bailey again at QB, if only for a little while. He didn't look good in week 1 with the 2nd string guys, but maybe he'd look better with the 1st stringers. Doesn't hurt to see what he can do, IMO.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Exactly. We may not win any of the next 2-3 weeks, but we still have a chance to finish the year on a positive note. If Brum is going to miss extended time, personally, I'd like to see Bailey again at QB, if only for a little while. He didn't look good in week 1 with the 2nd string guys, but maybe he'd look better with the 1st stringers. Doesn't hurt to see what he can do, IMO.
Neither QB is going to stand a chance if the OL can’t hold their blocks a little longer. I think the view (and conclusions) of Bailey weren’t warranted first time out. They didn’t block.

I hate that guy..

🙂
I Iike this.. 😂 I’ve been on here over 10 years, probably have done a bit of 1-5 at some point, especially for Bball, that’s what the program has done to me over the years.. Like to think I’m #3 mostly, maybe not.. But if I ever reach #6 (what I was getting at) you won’t see me wasting time, money, and energy on the program.. Still care and enjoy what the possibilities can be, as a whole, for fball & Bball, for now..

Neither QB is going to stand a chance if the OL can’t hold their blocks a little longer. I think the view (and conclusions) of Bailey weren’t warranted first time out. They didn’t block.
Agreed. That's why I'd like to see him with the first string guys. He may still not look good, but given that he had some big games for Tennessee as a freshman, it seems like there's a disconnect somewhere. Either he doesn't have a good grasp of the system, had some early nerves, or the O Line didn't really give him a chance.

Then again, depending on the extent of Brum's injury, maybe Arroyo doesn't want to start a QB controversy if he puts Bailey out there right now. I don't think that's the case, but just throwing it out there for discussion.

It doesn't happen often, but I think it's our turn to be the AFC North Cellar Dwellers. But I honestly think Tomlin will get things turned around and we end up with an 8-12 draft pick.
OT (for those of you who will tell me to take the Steelers talk to another board):

Tomlin knows defense having been DC at Minnesota.

Ben covered his offensive flaws since Tomlin took the job (my opinion). We haven't had a decent backup, let alone someone who can take over for Ben.

Reactions: Couev
It doesn't happen often, but I think it's our turn to be the AFC North Cellar Dwellers. But I honestly think Tomlin will get things turned around and we end up with an 8-12 draft pick.

I like Kenny Pickett but...

This team had huge needs on the O-Line, D-Line...

Personally, think they should have addressed that this year and waited on going after a QB next year.

That's part of the problem, they never stink enough to get a top 10 pick...

Tomlin is a bit of a paradox.

Under appreciated in Pittsburgh, probably a little over appreciated outside of Pittsburgh.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT