ADVERTISEMENT

Arroyo and his staff

Some official announcements are starting to come from the UNLV Football twitter account now.

Reactions: bcvegaspt

That's all at moment of posting. All rumored staffers are confirmed, no new staffers unveiled.

Still no DC, DL, WR announced. I assume they wouldn't have a month go by and then announce an incomplete staff... right?

That's all at moment of posting. All rumored staffers are confirmed, no new staffers unveiled.

Still no DC, DL, WR announced. I assume they wouldn't have a month go by and then announce an incomplete staff... right?

Yeah I was hoping to see some new names.

Still I’m glad to see the official titles though.

Thompson not having “Defensive Run Game Coordinator” listed gives me hope a good DC might be announced soon.

I also thought Baumgartner might get the WR’s after Dunn backed out since most of his coaching experience was there.

Just noting that he has three on staff, so far. But, yes, the one behind him is tops!

Just noting that he has three on staff, so far. But, yes, the one behind him is tops!
I agree on her....dont give a chit about the staff colors. As long as they win. So far have been amateur hour....

Yeah, DC That's the one I have been waiting for. Definitely one of biggest Achilles heel the last few years

This is a pretty impressive staffs imo

Looks solid.

DC is my biggest concern. The offense was inconsistent this year, but returns a lot of important pieces. I think they underperformed to be honest.

Defense loses a number of starters. Whoever takes over the DC role will have a tough job..

Reactions: reagan21
I think they underperformed to be honest.
Happens when your OC goes under the knife a month or two before the season and someone who has never acted as OC before has to start calling plays. That was a tough situation.

url
intro-1538777929.jpg

Reactions: MonsterJam
Happens when your OC goes under the knife a month or two before the season and someone who has never acted as OC before has to start calling plays. That was a tough situation.

Extremely.

I also believe they lost their identity a little bit early on. I think we are all well aware of Armani's struggles to stay healthy. But he's most effective when he is a part of the run game. Defenses have to account for him, and it lead to a lot of Chuck's big runs at the start of the season.

I thought they called a near perfect game against Vanderbilt.

Turned around got a little pass happy in a few others.

They are pretty stacked at WR with Grimes, Jenkins, Presley should be back. Noah Bean emerged as a weapon (he's a bit of a WR/TE hybrid).

Chuck and Magyar are a solid tandem.

OL loses Acosta and Polu, but there is solid depth there and they should get Caldwell back healthy.

QB still some question marks. Right now that is a crowded room especially if Brumfield stays committed.

I recognize the sideways nature of my thinking here...

But is there any chance Matt Entz will end up as UNLV DL/DC/AHC?

He could wait a year or two or three at current salary ($419k if all incentives are met) with NDSU and if continues to go undefeated, get $lots million. UNLV could almost certainly offer him what? $750k, could probably tease that up some. May not need to.

I have no idea what they lose next year, but if they lose you know... 15 starters and 20 significant contributors, maybe he's an option? I could also see him doing well and in two years being an opposing head coach...

Edit: Forgot to mention that Entz was DC/LB coach at NDSU for four seasons prior to HC. Has also been AHC/DC/DL at WIU and DL at Northern Iowa. This hire would also explain the weird partial announcement.

Not sure about WR coach though. With Mike McHugh NOT coming over from Fresno State, that opens a new DFO hire. Football scoop reporting that Brady Hoke was booting the SDSU DFO (Jashon Sykes, who is vice president of AFCA). Could be a candidate if they have a connection. If so, Hunkie Cooper for WR?

Football Scoop:

San Diego State: For a few days we’ve been mentioning that Brady Hoke was planning significant change at SDSU. Now the San Diego Union Tribune is reporting tight ends coach Ron Caragher, safeties coach Richard Sanchez and assistant AD for football operations Jashon Sykes all will not continue with the staff. They add that offensive coordinator Jeff Horton will no longer coordinate the offense; but is currently slated to remain on staff coaching running backs.

Last edited:
Interesting Entz theory. As likely as anything else I've heard (which isn't much). Would certainly explain the wait.

Interesting Entz theory. As likely as anything else I've heard (which isn't much). Would certainly explain the wait.

I'm not really sure if I think it's likely... just trying to appease myself with some reason. I think we're likely for disappointment if it isn't someone coaching in one if the FCS or fbs Natty games... or rocky long.

We did find out that brady hoke is a yes man for sdsu administration and that Long had spine. Just something observed...

So if the rumor is true that Mark Anderson is also hearing about Peter Hansen, we now have a DC. The DC is currently Stanford ILB. Hansen has exclusively been a part of 3-4 defenses, so expect a DL hire and them to announce Thompson as OLB coach and Hansen as DC/ILB coach.

If we take that rumor as true.... unaccounted for staff:

DL
WR
DFO

Staff size per NCAA is 11 full time on field coaches + dfo + strength/cond + 4 GAs.

UNLV has:

HC
QB/PGC
OL/RGC
RB
LB
S
CB

Officially, No DC, DL, or WR. If they hire on Hansen as DC/ILB, that leaves two positions unfilled but three coaching spots.... if my memory of the staff size and math both check out.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt
Might be waiting on new DL coach to finish tonight
Scary proposition imo. Havent looked at either staff closely but I'd rather have a guy who is actively a DL coach.l than an analyst or QC guy or GA.

Incredibly young staff if DL is a young guy and I cant imagine current DL coaches from LSU or Clemson would come here,you know?

Scary proposition imo. Havent looked at either staff closely but I'd rather have a guy who is actively a DL coach.l than an analyst or QC guy or GA.

Incredibly young staff if DL is a young guy and I cant imagine current DL coaches from LSU or Clemson would come here,you know?

Not likely. There is the coaches conference coming up. As @karaoke_jesus pointed out a lot of hirings take place after that.

Reactions: karaoke_jesus
Another bearded guy. We picked up former Wazzu DB Hunter Dale as a Graduate Assistant to work with our defense. He graduated in the Spring of 2019 and had a great 11-2 season with the Cougs his senior season where he was a starting DB for 2 years and Captain. Leach hired him in October 2019 to work as a Defensive Quality Control Assistant but after the coaching change he has been looking to get started again. Another former player with some solid P5 experience.

DwMqjkyUYAAuLN7

Wow another good add to the staff. I’m impressed. Wonder if he’s a “Co- Passing Game Coordinator” or if Langsdorf is just QB’s now.
ESPN article says Samuel will also be passing game coordinator. Hopefully UNLV announces soon. Arrigo is also quoting Football Scoop with the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT