ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody want to answer some UNLV football questions?

EdwardLewis

6th man
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm the publisher over at UCLA's Rivals.com site, BruinSportsReport.com. I would love to run a Five Questions feature this week including some of your guys' answers to these five questions. Anybody up for answering? Please just reply below if so (if you want to add your real name to your answers, feel free).

1. Tony Sanchez is well known in the UCLA community because the Bruins have recruited Bishop Gorman well over the past few years. How has his transition been to UNLV? Are the fans content with how he's approaching the program's turnaround?

2. Outside of Johnny Stanton, who's also well known out in the UCLA area for his time at Santa Margarita, who are some of this team's players on both offense and defense that the Bruins must stop on Saturday?

3. What are some of the strengths and weaknesses of this year's UNLV team, both offensively and defensively?

4. From a UNLV perspective, what is the opinion of UCLA football heading into this week's game?

5. What's your prediction (be realistic here please!) for the game?

I'll give it a shot:
1. Tony Sanchez is well known in the UCLA community because the Bruins have recruited Bishop Gorman well over the past few years. How has his transition been to UNLV? Are the fans content with how he's approaching the program's turnaround?
The transition from Coach Sanchez at Gorman to Coach Sanchez at UNLV has gone as good as anyone could have realistically hoped for. If you would have taken a poll of Vegas residents when the rumors were flying that he might be the next man to lead the program, most would have told you that Coach Sanchez was the right hire for one reason only: money connections with Las Vegas' rich and powerful. The expectation was that he would come in and there would be an immediate influx of cash for facilities, cost of attendance for students, recruting budget, etc.

However, from the press conference in December 2014 to today, Coach Sanchez continues to prove that he is a great coach, and the right guy for this team and city to rally around to bring UNLV football into relevance and, eventually, prominance. While last season only brought 3 seasons with it, the team was competitive (within one touchdown) in the 4th quarter of 9 of 12 games, and there were other signs that the program is trending upward. A road win at rival Reno brought the Rebels a victory in the most important game in Nevada. Additionally, the 80-8 drubbing of lowly Idaho State suggested that losses and/or 1-point wins against inferior opponents are a thing of the past. This year's 63-13 win in week 1 over JSU continued the trend.

While many in Las Vegas hope for nothing more than UNLV to win a few games a year to hold us over until basketball season, there is a growing force that believes the football program under Coach Sanchez has a chance to be the standard bearer for UNLV athletics.
2. Outside of Johnny Stanton, who's also well known out in the UCLA area for his time at Santa Margarita, who are some of this team's players on both offense and defense that the Bruins must stop on Saturday?
When the Rebels are on offense, sophomore Lexington Thomas and true freshman Charles Williams provide a 1-2 punch at running back that has the potential to gash the defense with the smallest of openings. Both are smaller, "scat backs" with Williams having a bit more bulk, but both flashing impressive speed. When Johnny Stanton drops back to pass, he will most likely be looking for his favorite receiver, the Mountain West's best wideout, junior Devonte Boyd. Stanton and Boyd connected for 3 touchdowns last week, with Boyd scoing on short, mid-range, and deeper throws, using his speed after the catch to get into the endzone.

On defense, the linebackers are the Rebels' strength. Seniors Tao Lotulelei and Ryan McAleenan anchor the backers in the middle, with young and old talent on the outside and inside providing depth to Coach Baer's defense. Behind the linebackers, the secondary has shown an ability to play tight coverage in man-to-man and create turnovers. While CBs Tory McTyer and Darius Mouton are the designated starters, backups Hough, Miles, Jackson are capable replacements if additional support is needed. The biggest issue for the Rebels last year was its inability to generate a pass rush (only 9.5 sacks in 2015), and even the best secondary can only stay with wideouts for so long. If the Rebels do not find ways to create pressure on opposing QBs, the above average secondary and defense as a whole will struggle.
3. What are some of the strengths and weaknesses of this year's UNLV team, both offensively and defensively?
Offensively, there is not an obvious weakness that has been exposed yet. Clearly a low-level opponent on week 1 had something to do with that, but the Rebels' 6 touchdowns on its first 6 drives was impressive nonetheless. Saturday's game against UCLA will certainly provide a better barometer for this unit's progress and abilities. One area to watch is the Rebels will only have 4 wideouts available on Saturday, as Kendal Keys went down before the season with a season-ending leg injury, and sophomore Brandon Presley was injured in week 1.

Defensively, as discussed above, the Rebels must find a way to create pressure and not allow opposing QBs to get comfortable and pick apart the secondary. Ideally this would be done with the front 3 or 4 linemen, but Coach Baer will almost certainly need to include a linebacker or 2 if the Rebels want to put a man in Josh Rosen's face.
4. From a UNLV perspective, what is the opinion of UCLA football heading into this week's game?
The loss at TAMU last week showed that UCLA is not an unbeatable opponent, but the Rebels know they will have to play a complete, 60-minute game of football if they want to walk out of the Rose Bowl with a victory. In my opinion, I would have much preferred that UCLA beat TAMU last week, in hopes that the Bruins might look past the Rebels in week 2. With the loss, the Bruins will almost certainly have laser focus on the team from Las Vegas.
It's almost a given that the Rebels will get the ball first, based on Coach Sanchez always electing to receive, and other teams almost always deferring. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that we take a 7-0 lead to start the game. UCLA will recover, settle in, and respond. UCLA will lead at the half, but it will be a one-score game.

In the second half, the Rebels still-lacking depth and UCLA's athletes will show, and the Rebels will likely fade. Las Vegas books set the line at UCLA -27; I think we cover. I see us losing by 17-21 points, but 27 seems a bit much.

I'll go UNLV 24 - 41 UCLA

Let me preface this with saying that I was born and raised a UCLA fan, couldnt get in like 99% of applicants (I didnt even bother applying) so ended up at UNLV.

My opinion is the team is poorly coached. I think Jim Mora has been good for UCLA given the two previous coaches but I dont think he is a great coach either, and makes a lot of mistakes, maybe even lets his ego get in the way. The loss to A$M last week was disappointing, they should have never been in the position that they were to have to come back at the end to tie that game. Rosen is obviously a great QB but Im not sure the offense is utilized to its strengths as well as it could be. I think UCLA finishes with at least 4 losses which given the expectations entering the season would be a really bad season. After this week @byu will be tough (I think their QB is older than their Head Coach?) and then Stanford looms, UCLA needs to win this game big to build some confidence that surely was lost after last week going into those two games.

One other thing, if A$M is now ranked in both polls after an overtime win at home how does UCLA fall out of the polls by losing on the road to a ranked tem in OT? Its the $EC effect...

I honestly think its not close. I think Rosen has a huge day and UCLA runs up 500 yards and 50 points.

Last edited:
If UCLA beat UNLV by 50, I am going to shave them and send you the photo Wins. What do you mean you couldnt get into UCLA? Do you mean you couldnt get a four years scholarship?

My opinion is the team is poorly coached. I think Jim Mora has been good for UCLA given the two previous coaches but I dont think he is a great coach either, and makes a lot of mistakes, maybe even lets his ego get in the way. The loss to A$M last week was disappointing, they should have never been in the position that they were to have to come back at the end to tie that game.
I will say, the coaching and clock management at the end of the half against TAMU was horrific, and UCLA's failure to get that field goal may have cost them the game. For those that didn't watch, UCLA had a stopped clock and 7 seconds left to play in the half with 1 timeout remaining. It was 3rd and 1 from TAMU's 31 yard line. Obviously, UCLA had time to run one play to get more yards and/or center the ball in order to avoid kicking a 48 yard field goal from the hash. Instead, UCLA can't get a play off and they had to burn their final timeout of the half and send the kicker on. The tough 48-yarder was missed, and the game eventually went to OT....

42-17 UCLA

UNLV is definitely on the rise. However it will be a challenge to get bowl eligible this year much less knock off a top 25 football program.

Love the direction Coach Sanchez is taking the program. The obstacles he is facing to build this program cannot be overstated. No tradition, terrible facilities and an apathetic fan base.

A bowl game this year would probably have us a year ahead of schedule. New practice facility should be a recruiting game changer for us. If stadium/Raiders deal gets done, sky is the limit for this program.

I think RebelBuzz breakdown of the team is a very fair assessment. If Rosen gets time he will pick this defense apart, and we have yet to see anything from the D Line to expect anything different at this point. I do expect some creativity on D from Coach Baer to attempt to get pressure, but we shall see how that works out. 45-17

I think anyone who follows this team closely feels Coach Sanchez is better than anyone expected. I know he has won me over and believe he will lay the foundation and culture to finally change the fortunes of this program and it's perception nationally. With new facilities coming, and a new stadium in the future one way or the other, his influence and connections have really changed the future of Rebel Football.

On a side note. I have followed you on twitter and Bruins site for some time and I respect your work greatly.

Thank you guys so much. Tremendous responses. Appreciate the help. Safe travels to those heading to L.A. this weekend.

Coach Sanchez's familiarity with Rosen will help keep it tighter than most expect already playing them last year and being competitive for a minimum of the first half helps. I think UCLA fans and team will have a little let down until we get a win over a P5 team we'll always be taken for granted.
If our fans show up and we get more than a few breaks win the t/o battle we can keep this game reasonable and make a good showing for ourselves and keep a rotation in the schedule especially if they keep doing a one and one now it's time to get them on our basketball schedule. I wish we would concentrate on playing more Pac12 teams for recruiting and eventually winning some of these and getting an invite.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT