ADVERTISEMENT

Any updates?

I get concerned when we keep getting guys that, on the type of team you hope to have, fill out that 7-10 spot. You can’t have 8 players that could fit into 8-10. So at face value, one on one, you don’t mind it so much. When they pile up, you have to wonder.
A buffet of mediocrity in hopes that we get lucky and one hits. It's recruiting Circus Circus buffet style.

Danny Brotherson was a better player than many give him credit for. A Rebel, and a good player. Of course, just one man’s opinion.
I think you need guys like him. I don’t think he was starter quality, even though he had starts. I didn’t have a problem with him. But he’s JC stats showed him to be a sharpshooter, yet his shot felt like you were watching Bill Paxton dodging tornados. Never saw a rotation like that before.

I think you need guys like him. I don’t think he was starter quality, even though he had starts. I didn’t have a problem with him. But he’s JC stats showed him to be a sharpshooter, yet his shot felt like you were watching Bill Paxton dodging tornados. Never saw a rotation like that before.
It was like a Fernando Valenzuela Screwball.

Still, DB was a warrior, I remember that game at Cincinnati where he was the only guy on the roster who wasn't playing intimidated.

Tulsa too. Kas first half no show, all his damage long after the game was decided. Dalron was a ghost. Diggs missed everything and wouldn’t help Dickel when Tulsa double teamed him near half court. Dickel was completely defused. But Danny showed up in that game. He wasn’t afraid even though it looked like Tulsa had seven guys defending us.

Go look at their starting 5 last year...
Waters- USC transfer 9.8ppg from USC
Ledee- Multiple transfers- averaged 5.8ppg
Even Trammell and Parish took steps backwards after transferring to SDSU...
SDSU has had a top 3 recruiting class in conference every year for the last 5 years.

2020 - 3rd
2021 - 2nd
2022 - 2nd
2023 - 3rd
2024 - 2nd

Right now they are second to us though I suspect that changes with the portal.

Tulsa too. Kas first half no show, all his damage long after the game was decided. Dalron was a ghost. Diggs missed everything and wouldn’t help Dickel when Tulsa double teamed him near half court. Dickel was completely defused. But Danny showed up in that game. He wasn’t afraid even though it looked like Tulsa had seven guys defending us.
Bill Self Tulsa??

Reactions: j. spilotro
So at this point...
We heard "coming out soon" over a week ago. No news...
Then there's been a few lower tier mid-major guys we've reached out to.. we're in last week of April going on May with 2 glaring roster holes... any idea what is going on

Last edited:
So at this point...
Then there's been a few lower tier mid-major guys we've reached out to.. we're in last week of May with 2 glaring roster holes... any idea what is going on
He should have been shown the door.. it will be a Christmas miracle if he finds two guys to fill the void we have!

Bill Self Tulsa??
Yeah, their game plan was simple. Attack Dickel with long armed active athletes to thwart our offense. It worked perfectly. Yes, we missed a lot of “open” shots, but those open shots occasionally came without plan, really, we just escaped a wave and had an open shot. Our offense was fractured and making it up as we went.

Now, certain people were supposed to come back and alleviate the pressure on Dickel … they didn’t, they remained “tightly defended” … it was more like hiding out and staying covered. Some guys were shellshocked/scared. But Dickel WAS the entire key to our offense, credit to Tulsa for a good game plan, awful on UNLV for ineffective counters.

So at this point...
Then there's been a few lower tier mid-major guys we've reached out to.. we're in last week of April going on May with 2 glaring roster holes... any idea what is going on
Apparently, this strategy appears to be hope for the best. Hope that every player that is new to the roster exceeds expectations.

Reactions: butta1231
AJ Cerio pointed out on Twitter the swings and misses in our recruiting. This is actually the epitome of the CKK recruiting era. It's our annual tradition.

Me every season - "I really like this player. I hope he'll pick us."

Every player - "I've decided to play at SDSU, USU, Fordham..."
The thing is we could be good if they got a top shooter/scorer and a second contributor. Can't even get that. If KK is back after next season I will be more than shocked.

The thing is we could be good if they got a top shooter/scorer and a second contributor. Can't even get that. If KK is back after next season I will be more than shocked.
Reno gets quality players so I don't want to hear about us not being able to do the same. UNM brings in scorers so, again, that argument goes out the window. I guess that I'm just frustrated.

Reno gets quality players so I don't want to hear about us not being able to do the same. UNM brings in scorers so, again, that argument goes out the window. I guess that I'm just frustrated.
Reno and the Hobo's went to the dance. Much easier sell to recruits.

Reactions: reagan21
The money is huge. I don't understand why a school hasn't moved to do that yet. Have a buy-out clause like they do with the coaches.
Because until it becomes a universal requirement, that player will just go to the next school willing to offer the money without the contract... and then we're talking introducing agents into the college game (yes I realize alot of these guys have their "handlers").. just makes the whole "amateur" status seem irrelevant

Was Brycen Goodine really that good? IMO, it says a lot about the current state of the Oklahoma program that they would even offer him a scholarship. Because, coming from Farfield in the MAAC his body of work was less than impressive for a player that played 5 years. Even Webster averaged 8.2 ppg as a freshmen and 12.3 ppg as a sophomore at Hawaii in the Big West. Goodine stats:

Career Stats​

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4431716/brycen-goodine

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

Reactions: LVRebel2000
If it’s happening there, it’ll happen here as well. And there’s nothing anyone can do about it.
It happens at P5 schools as well. It's more likely to happen at the mid-majors but even the P5 McDonald's kids are transferring to other P5s for paydays. Some of us as fans still stuck in the mud on kids needing to stay and play 4 years and develop as a team to win and that'll mean returning to a F4, when the reality is, you want 2 or 3 of these younger kids who are bound to transfer to explode on your roster and carry you as far as you can in their 1 year with a few older transfers around them and then rinse and repeat... or you play the portal game and hope mediocre P5s explode as a mid-major...

Was Brycen Goodine really that good? IMO, it says a lot about the current state of the Oklahoma program that they would even offer him a scholarship. Because, coming from Farfield in the MAAC his body of work was less than impressive for a player that played 5 years. Even Webster averaged 8.2 ppg as a freshmen and 12.3 ppg as a sophomore at Hawaii in the Big West. Goodine stats:

Career Stats​

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4431716/brycen-goodine

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

Yes and no... his 3pt shooting % is what was coveted. He was the model of player that could step up their game at the next mid-major stop and go from 13ppg to 18-20... then go get paid for his final year.. it's TBD to see how someone like him that is possibly a 6th or 7th man increases at the P5.

Yes and no... his 3pt shooting % is what was coveted. He was the model of player that could step up their game at the next mid-major stop and go from 13ppg to 18-20... then go get paid for his final year.. it's TBD to see how someone like him that is possibly a 6th or 7th man increases at the P5.
I don't think he is better than Webster.

If we land a kid they have to suck, they are only their weaknesses and nothing else. If they land elsewhere it was a hard miss and we suck, because they are only their strengths. .

Those are the Rebel Net rules, unless you are a 5 star recruit of course, but even so there will be heavy doubt.

If we land a kid they have to suck, they are only their weaknesses and nothing else. If they land elsewhere it was a hard miss and we suck, because they are only their strengths. .

Those are the Rebel Net rules, unless you are a 5 star recruit of course, but even so there will be heavy doubt.
Why are you so cynical, cut? :)

Or, the converse. Every signing is a stud who is going to lead us back to national prevalence, we will challenge for the top spot, our coach is an unpolished diamond … oh, and Menzies deserves more time because the crowds were tiny but cozy.

Meanwhile - the evidence clearly shows we’ve sucked the last 10 years. In part because the players have weaknesses, in part because coaching can’t figure things out… but go ahead, keep dismissing that most players vastly underachieve at UNLV and their weaknesses tend to overshadow any strengths they may have. If not, maybe we’d be a little better.

This will work only IF other Universities don't offer a one year contract.
Or maybe if school x offers $50K for a year and school Y offers $60K for two years. Just picking numbers. If you offer a little more money you will get some who want the higher $$ now. Not the 5* types but the ones who might blow up and leave. Or the ones who want the money now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT