ADVERTISEMENT

Any updates?

It’s free agency. The players are looking for the best financial $$$$ deal.
It’s a great time to be a college basketball player.

To think Greg had to give up his schollie to pursue his ventures and they still didn’t like it.

You’d think the NCAA might be happy with an intelligent, well rounded, enterprenuerial student athlete.

It’s a great time to be a college basketball player.

To think Greg had to give up his school is to pursue his ventures and they still didn’t like it.

You’d think the NCAA might be happy with an intelligent, well rounded, enterprenuerial student athlete.
Greg was in real estate and something else..

Reactions: j. spilotro
I’ll bet they are making a hard run at Finley bizjack. I never placed a ton of weight on grimalas recruiting targets article but I’m starting to think he was talking to the coaches. Whiting came out of left field in that article, but lo and behold a few days later he commits. Theres a tiny bit of rumble on the interwebs about Finley having interest here. Jefferson we missed out on but we were definitely trying. Boswell was never going to happen but grimala also stated in the article that was a long shot.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
It's kind of crazy how little information there has been. I'm really hoping that they're waiting for a couple of guys current NIL packages to pay out, and then we'll get the announcement.

Reactions: bcvegaspt and art8
Out of pure speculation… we don’t stand a godamn chance for any of these players right now. But… not all these kids will end up with big NIL deals. There’s going to be some drop off towards the end of the period where the high major spots get filled and there’s still a good chunk of decent players looking for somewhere to land. Patience might be the strategy for us right now. I hope that pays off.

Out of pure speculation… we don’t stand a godamn chance for any of these players right now. But… not all these kids will end up with big NIL deals. There’s going to be some drop off towards the end of the period where the high major spots get filled and there’s still a good chunk of decent players looking for somewhere to land. Patience might be the strategy for us right now. I hope that pays off.
I don’t know if it’s strategy or just the way UNLV and other schools without an unlimited vault have to deal with it.

It’s almost like picking teams for warball back in grade school, except the other team gets the first six picks.

Recruiting is now a game of musical chairs. We get the guys without the chairs.

Or maybe our chairs are already filled so we have to add seats outside the circle? Think about it this way... We got DTJ to stay home, his NIL cant be too cheap, yet that doesnt mean we didnt have a chair in the circle. At this point, maybe we are like the rest of the 30 something non P5 teams that make the NCAA tournament.. limited resources so you find what fits best and try to use that to win. We tried the splashy transfers, it didnt change anything other than our hopes and dreams. So maybe now what we see as settling, the staff has prioritized as "solid contributors".. We do have our star piece, we just need that developmental piece to actually be here at the same time.

what’s crazy is that we actually had a good portal class last year and nothing to write home about this season. Idk, we seem to be striking out on the the ones we want and will be again with a short bench.

what’s crazy is that we actually had a good portal class last year and nothing to write home about this season. Idk, we seem to be striking out on the the ones we want and will be again with a short bench.
Good point, especially with DJ coming back. Logic would presume other talents would want to play with him but that brings up the compensation topic (or lack there or to offer?).

I’ll bet they are making a hard run at Finley bizjack. I never placed a ton of weight on grimalas recruiting targets article but I’m starting to think he was talking to the coaches. Whiting came out of left field in that article, but lo and behold a few days later he commits. Theres a tiny bit of rumble on the interwebs about Finley having interest here. Jefferson we missed out on but we were definitely trying. Boswell was never going to happen but grimala also stated in the article that was a long shot.
Lobby says bizjack is visiting on twitter. Grimala isn’t as big of an idiot as I thought he was.

Bizjack would be another young phenomenal guard to bring in.. certainly won't cause the stats guys to be excited, but he's another young guard with game and would be an excellent 2nd to Dedan...

Bizjack would be another young phenomenal guard to bring in.. certainly won't cause the stats guys to be excited, but he's another young guard with game and would be an excellent 2nd to Dedan...
I agree. I’m behind this one far more than I am with Henley and whiting.

Stats are very similar to Hicks - except Hicks is a quantum leap ahead shooting the three ball. We should pass. If we take him it's an indication of how bad either our recruiting is or how weak or NIL is. IMO, we'd be much better off with almost any of the top 15 Juco guards who can shoot.

Stats are very similar to Hicks - except Hicks is a quantum leap ahead shooting the three ball. We should pass. If we take him it's an indication of how bad either our recruiting is or how weak or NIL is. IMO, we'd be much better off with almost any of the top 15 Juco guards who can shoot.
I disagree with passing on him. It seems to be that he’s well like at butler by a good chunk of fans which for me is telling. He’s much better than hicks. Look at his suitors too. Mississippi state, TCU, Texas. He had a minimal role on a decent power 5 team. I ain’t sayin he’s going to come in and be a star but this is a decent pick up if they can close.

Also, I still like hicks as a developmental piece.

I disagree with passing on him. It seems to be that he’s well like at butler by a good chunk of fans which for me is telling. He’s much better than hicks. Look at his suitors too. Mississippi state, TCU, Texas. He had a minimal role on a decent power 5 team. I ain’t sayin he’s going to come in and be a star but this is a decent pick up if they can close.

Also, I still like hicks as a developmental piece.
"Look at his suitors too. Mississippi state, TCU, Texas."

Did they take him? If not, I believe it's because nobody wants a guard that shoots 27% from three.

"Look at his suitors too. Mississippi state, TCU, Texas."

Did they take him? If not, I believe it's because nobody wants a guard that shoots 27% from three.
I see where you’re coming from.

He had 19 against Marquette. 11 against Creighton. Both games no turnovers. I think he’s a talented player that was a freshman with a freshman role. Averaged .5 turnovers on the season. He’s a chance I’d be willing to take.

Color me unimpressed. We need a shooter. 27% is NOT a shooter. Sounds like another bench piece. We will just see which one of our bench pieces we will force to start.
Can you imagine a sophomore who improves upon his freshman 3 point shooting percentage? Every description that I’ve read of the 4 star Bizjack calls him a really good outside shooter.

Can you imagine a sophomore who improves upon his freshman 3 point shooting percentage? Every description that I’ve read of the 4 star Bizjack calls him a really good outside shooter.
Sure I can see him improving but it better be a hell of an improvement from 27%.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Sure I can see him improving but it better be a hell of an improvement from 27%.
As you watch him in full games ( not highlight reels ) you'll see as the season progressed he was hesitant to take even wide open three's. IMO, the low percentage got between his ears and added to his shooting woes. He is a good slasher and has decent handles. IF (and it's a big if) he can raise his 3 pt % to above 35% he'll be a good addition. On the downside, he's taller than many of our past guards but his 40 minute rebounding stats are only 3.1. ( Compare that to Lou Rod's 8.2)

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
I am big fan of adding as many ball handlers as possible. We need a more dynamic offense I think most of use agree. We need more guys that can see the floor, drive, dish, and find the open man. WE can only get so far spreading things out, standing in one place, just to watch DJ dribble the ball around.

The 3pt shooting percentage from last year bugs me, but at least he has been able to shoot the 3 in high school, right? So you'd think there is some potential there.

I see where you’re coming from.

He had 19 against Marquette. 11 against Creighton. Both games no turnovers. I think he’s a talented player that was a freshman with a freshman role. Averaged .5 turnovers on the season. He’s a chance I’d be willing to take.
Also with limited playing time the 4.2 pts might be because of the few minutes , only 14.9. Mpg . Kinda like his game. Looks like he can get out and run. They had 4 guys averaging double digits.

i watched the collection of his best plays of the year

Not impressed -
I get concerned when we keep getting guys that, on the type of team you hope to have, fill out that 7-10 spot. You can’t have 8 players that could fit into 8-10. So at face value, one on one, you don’t mind it so much. When they pile up, you have to wonder.

but at least he has been able to shoot the 3 in high school, right?
As a junior in HS he shot 30%. His Senior year FG% weren't listed anywhere--just his raw per game stats. If you're shooting 30% at the HS line and shoot 27% as a freshman in HS, I would argue that you're probably not much of a shooter.

As a junior in HS he shot 30%. His Senior year FG% weren't listed anywhere--just his raw per game stats. If you're shooting 30% at the HS line and shoot 27% as a freshman in HS, I would argue that you're probably not much of a shooter.
Hey, Danny Brotherson was in the 40% range in JC. That translated well, lol. But he could do other things on the court and was a tough kid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT