ADVERTISEMENT

Another UO QB in the Portal

rebswin2

Rebel Legend
Apr 5, 2004
San Diego, CA UNLV'94
I only post this as well as the other transfer UO posts because Arroyo has the connection. Tyler Shough who started most of the year for Oregon (lost job last game) is in the portal. He graduated in 3 years and I think has 2 years (or maybe 3, does this past year not count?) of immediate eligibility. I watched all of his games this year, he showed promise at times but definitely has some limitations. Id assume looking toward P5 and can start at many P5 schools, so doubt UNLV is on the radar but who knows? From Phoenix.

Last edited:
CMA tweeted out about another 21’ commit yesterday. I haven’t seen who it is but with the timing I can’t help but wonder if it’s Shough.

Murphy was getting 20 defensive snaps a game at USC last year. I think he’ll immediately have a big role for us. Good pick up. I’m still waiting to see another QB added though.

Murphy is a good get, even for 1 year. Suspect he will be a major contributor this season. Would love to get Shough. He actually has 3 years of eligibility left which certainly would make him both the present and the future. That being said, the 3 years works against us here I believe as it makes him more even more valuable to P5 teams. Really depends on how much the prospect of playing with a familiar coach and system appeals to him

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
As far as picking up Connor Murphy goes, it's a great addition to UNLV Football. Our Defense has been killing us for years (especially the D-line). The transfer portal this year is the best way for any Head Coach to turn around a program.
If you look at most of the 11 players we are losing to the portal, and compare them to the 4 we have gained thus far UNLV comes out way ahead.
If you go by 247 sports projections we pickup Tate Martell at QB. You put Tate in the mix with Justin Rogers, and UNLV should have a lot more talent at QB than we have ever had (especially based on their ratings per 247sports).
Another transfer to watch is Palaie Gaoteote IV. if Connor Murphy, and Tate Martell come here, then why wouldn't Palaie give UNLV a serieous looks. He has 2 years left, and a legitimate chance of being eligible this fall if he appeals it. I don't follow twitter to see who the UNLV Coaching staff is looking at, I just think the staff could make a pretty compelling case on recruiting him.
Last point I don't quite get is why Coach Arroyo says we still have 3 spots left (before Murphy transferring). With all these transfers its hard to keep up with available scholarships, but I wouldn't be suprised if we had a few more than that. This is the year for UNLV Football to show up on the radar screen. I think we will! HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL

As far as picking up Connor Murphy goes, it's a great addition to UNLV Football. Our Defense has been killing us for years (especially the D-line). The transfer portal this year is the best way for any Head Coach to turn around a program.
If you look at most of the 11 players we are losing to the portal, and compare them to the 4 we have gained thus far UNLV comes out way ahead.
If you go by 247 sports projections we pickup Tate Martell at QB. You put Tate in the mix with Justin Rogers, and UNLV should have a lot more talent at QB than we have ever had (especially based on their ratings per 247sports).
Another transfer to watch is Palaie Gaoteote IV. if Connor Murphy, and Tate Martell come here, then why wouldn't Palaie give UNLV a serieous looks. He has 2 years left, and a legitimate chance of being eligible this fall if he appeals it. I don't follow twitter to see who the UNLV Coaching staff is looking at, I just think the staff could make a pretty compelling case on recruiting him.
Last point I don't quite get is why Coach Arroyo says we still have 3 spots left (before Murphy transferring). With all these transfers its hard to keep up with available scholarships, but I wouldn't be suprised if we had a few more than that. This is the year for UNLV Football to show up on the radar screen. I think we will! HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL
Pretty sure Gaoteote can go anywhere he wants, not sure why he would come here. I guess one can dream.

Shough ends up at Texas Tech. I thought we might have had a chance but I’m sure he had a lot of good options with 3 years of eligibility left. Oh well, on to the next one. I still think we need another QB for this year. The preferred walk-on freshman that just committed shouldn’t change anything for 21.

Just watched Cameron Friel our freshmen qb from Hawaii. He can spin it. Could not tell about mobility from film on CU's site. Throws the ball like a shortstop with multiple arm angles. The film showed him in only clean pockets but the ball has some velocity and it is over the backers heads and then down into the receivers hands. He will move up the qb charts quickly.

Cameron Friel: New 2021 UNLV Football Recruiting Commitment - Interview & Analysis | Franchise Sports Media
Some high praise in this article. From a great football school. I can see why Arizona, Colorado recruited him. Pac12 level quarterback. We have a lot of depth at qb, in my opinion. We need defense more than offense. Greatest growth from freshman year to soph.
Cameron Friel is looking to put UNLV, Hawaii back on the map - BVM Sports US Another good interview. Arroyo has a lot of believers out there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT