ADVERTISEMENT

Offer Another Local Offer- Isiah Macklin-WR

Nice to see the offer. I have seen a lot of good press on him and the fact UNLV has been looking at him recently.

While I agree that the kid could, potentially, be special down the road his highlights don't represent being special now. Talented, yes, but not elite according to the hudl video. I will admit, however, that there have been better videos on hudl to put it politely. Ok, to be more blunt, the video wasn't that good at all. I guess we'll have to watch him in person to get a better idea of his skills.
I did like his burst of speed and his drive to gain the extra yard. I also like his willingness and ability to block.

While I agree that the kid could, potentially, be special down the road his highlights don't represent being special now. Talented, yes, but not elite according to the hudl video. I will admit, however, that there have been better videos on hudl to put it politely. Ok, to be more blunt, the video wasn't that good at all. I guess we'll have to watch him in person to get a better idea of his skills.
I did like his burst of speed and his drive to gain the extra yard. I also like his willingness and ability to block.

Special athlete but he underachieved as a junior. More Hasaan Henderson than Devonte Boyd right now.

He seems to have all of the physical tools. Based on the video alone I'm not sure he knows how to run a route. The two he actually ran in the video were a little shaky looking. But I'm very much in favor of recruiting him because he does have major potential, and even if WR ends up not being his future, big athletic kids can always help on defense, ala Sam Brandon, who converted from WR over to Safety and went on to play for the Denver Broncos after he graduated from UNLV.

Last edited:
I think the staff likes his upside. Route Running, blocking in the run game, footwork, hand fighting at the line of scrimmage can all be taught. What cant be taught is 6'4 and athletic. I think he has a lot of potential and that is probably what is most intriguing about him at this point in time.

By the time he gets to campus, Boyd, Keys will be juniors and Presley, Woods will have a year under their belt. I don't thing they will be looking for him to contribute right away so he will have time to fine tune some things.

I think the staff likes his upside. Route Running, blocking in the run game, footwork, hand fighting at the line of scrimmage can all be taught. What cant be taught is 6'4 and athletic. I think he has a lot of potential and that is probably what is most intriguing about him at this point in time.

By the time he gets to campus, Boyd, Keys will be juniors and Presley, Woods will have a year under their belt. I don't thing they will be looking for him to contribute right away so he will have time to fine tune some things.

I agree 100%.

I would say right now based on your own evaluation, this kid is better than Philip Payne coming out of high school. He does all the things Philip Payne rarely did, as in block, get yards after catch, or catch the ball over the middle of the field. Not saying he will have Phillip Payne's impact on the field but I think his upside is better.At the very least he seems like a more fluid athlete than PayneLike Rebelbuck said you can't teach 6'4 200lbs.

I didn't mean to come across as not wanting us to get him. Quite the contrary. He looks like he does some things well already, has speed and size, and seems to play with the desire that this coaching staff is looking for.
WR has been the position of strength for us and, if the coach that developed all these strong WR's wants him then why would I oppose?

I would say right now based on your own evaluation, this kid is better than Philip Payne coming out of high school. He does all the things Philip Payne rarely did, as in block, get yards after catch, or catch the ball over the middle of the field. Not saying he will have Phillip Payne's impact on the field but I think his upside is better.At the very least he seems like a more fluid athlete than PayneLike Rebelbuck said you can't teach 6'4 200lbs.

He's not a Phillip Payne, he had been one of the area's elite players since his sophomore season in high school and always had uncanny hand/eye coordination in the red zone. I would compare him more to Preston Davis of Shadow Ridge who was a three year starter at Idaho right now. I feel he is capable of being in the Juron Criner/Phillip Payne class of receiver but he has to show it as a senior. They were some great player and instant impact freshmen.
Macklin won't likely be ready to be a game breaker type for a few years.

Remember, Devonte Davis was a tight end as a senior only grabbing 17 balls for 420 yards. As a junior in high school he only had 7 catches for 94 yards and 2 scores but he had the physical skills to develop into the type of player he became in college.

Reactions: jmcnamaraiii
Remember, Devonte Davis was a tight end as a senior only grabbing 17 balls for 420 yards. As a junior in high school he only had 7 catches for 94 yards and 2 scores but he had the physical skills to develop into the type of player he became in college.

Despite the picture in my profile I was never really that impressed with Phillip Payne's overall game. He was phenomenal on the back shoulder catch along the sideline, the fade into the end zone, and had a knack for high-pointing the ball and coming down with it. That said, he was at best average in the open field with the ball in his hands, never really made guys miss, dropped a lot of easy passes, and although he ran a 4.6 40 he never really seemed even that fast to me. In my opinion Boyd has far more upside than Payne ever did. The fact there was little improvement with Phillip during his four years tells me he pretty much dominated the high school level because he was simply bigger than the guys he was going up against. In three years he only had 2 100 yard games total. Some of it may have fallen on poor QB play, or a change in system with new coaches, but his stats are eerily similar ever year about 600 yards receiving and about 5-7 TDs and 14.6 YPC average (which isn't terrible)

This kid Macklin looks like he has similar physical tools to Payne. Maybe he won't ever reach the level Payne did at UNLV which wasn't bad at all, but he looks like he has the upside. Any idea what Macklin runs the 40 in?

2 links I found on him training and at UNLV camp. My son plays on team with him and said he's been training with guys that train Antonio Brown and Lesean McCoy. I'm guessing he's a totally different player with a different mentality going into this year. He was 180 last year and 200 now?

Despite the picture in my profile I was never really that impressed with Phillip Payne's overall game. He was phenomenal on the back shoulder catch along the sideline, the fade into the end zone, and had a knack for high-pointing the ball and coming down with it. That said, he was at best average in the open field with the ball in his hands, never really made guys miss, dropped a lot of easy passes, and although he ran a 4.6 40 he never really seemed even that fast to me. In my opinion Boyd has far more upside than Payne ever did. The fact there was little improvement with Phillip during his four years tells me he pretty much dominated the high school level because he was simply bigger than the guys he was going up against. In three years he only had 2 100 yard games total. Some of it may have fallen on poor QB play, or a change in system with new coaches, but his stats are eerily similar ever year about 600 yards receiving and about 5-7 TDs and 14.6 YPC average (which isn't terrible)

This kid Macklin looks like he has similar physical tools to Payne. Maybe he won't ever reach the level Payne did at UNLV which wasn't bad at all, but he looks like he has the upside. Any idea what Macklin runs the 40 in?
links I found on him training and at UNLV camp. My son plays on team with him and said he's been training with guys that train Antonio Brown and Lesean McCoy. I'm guessing he's a totally different player with a different mentality going into this year. He was 180 last year and 200 now?

http://youtu.be/gqDYB_bTb0A

Isiah Macklin- WR from Green Valley was offered today. Looks like he could turn into something special. Already 6'5 and almost 200LBS

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4252690/highlights/240390389/v2

links I found on him training and at UNLV camp. My son plays on team with him and said he's been training with guys that train Antonio Brown and Lesean McCoy. I'm guessing he's a totally different player with a different mentality going into this year. He was 180 last year and 200 now?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT