ADVERTISEMENT

Offer Another day, another 3* offer to Chris Yaghi out of Foothill, Ca

Its a norm, the bigger focus is closing. Spending extra time focusing on prospects that aren't legitimate possible signees can leave you behind in the winter when the the dominos start falling.
This cycle the staff will be recruiting on the actual results on the field rather than past results. A good season can go a long way but a bad season can leave a bunch of wasted time and resources.

Recruiting is the life blood of a school that wants to see improvements on the field. The last coach sat back and took what was left after everyone else had finished recruiting which consistently left UNLV recruiting classes near the bottom of the rankings. I am not sure if this was his style of recruiting, or if he just felt UNLV could not compete for the better 3* and 4* recruits. While the rank of a recruiting class doesn't always guarantee the number of wins and loses, it does in most cases have a relative correlation with the success of a program. With the exception of one season, in which the stars aligned in regards to the strength of schedule, that recruiting was reflected in the results.

As for the record of a program leaving a program out in the dust in regards to recruiting high level recruits, this is not reflected by the fact the respected coaches and staff routinely move from one program to another, and have the ability to immediately upgrade the recruiting of the new program regardless of the past winning record of that school. Michigan was really bad last year, but with the new coach, they have instant credibility with the current batch of recruits. While coach Sanchez may not have the past pedigree of a top level college coach, many of the top high school players know what he did at Bishop Gorman, and do have a lot of respect for his coaching abilities. UNLV has won only 2 games in 4 of the last 5 seasons, but coach Sanchez has already been able to get many of the 3* and 4* to take an interest in what UNLV has to offer. Coach Sanchez can't sell UNLV on a past glorious history, he can't sell UNLV to them based on the number of wins they had last season or the season before, but he can sell them on his vision and his dream of what they can become.

It does appear that while recruits may not be coming to UNLV in droves, they are listening and paying attention to what is going on in regards to UNLV football. In a very short time frame, coach Sanchez was able to recruit a decent class of recruits that was a definite step up from the class recruited the season before. In the last few month, UNLV has been mentioned on the short list of numerous 3* recruits, and even some 4* recruits, which has not happened in over a decade since the Robertson era. In a sign of the potential ability of Sanchez to sell his dream, he has been able to recruit 3 3* players and a 4* transfer from Alabama for the 2016 class when normally UNLV does not get their first recruit until January of the recruiting season.

I expect that when all the dust settles, the first recruiting class for coach Sanchez and staff, will be listed near the top of the Mountain West Conference. This along with improved facilities is what will drive the improvement in the program not winning first and getting recruits later.

I like that Sanchez is going after highly recruited players. He's not bowing down to other schools because he believes in what is happening here. The thing is, Sanchez isn't selling empty promises to recruits on faith alone. He has a plan and vision of making Las Vegas a top football destination for college players just as he did building Gorman into the top high school power.

It's going to take some time but Sanchez knows what it takes to win and he wants big talent to coach and showcase. Las Vegas is still the largest metropolitan area in the nation with no pro sports team, and so UNLV is the "pro sports" team. Success would make waves in this town.

As these talented recruits like Tenpenny and others start trickleing in, Las Vegas football will climb. I really think UNLV has the potential to break out of these dark ages and become a very hot ticket in Las Vegas.

I think give it 3 or 4 years and we'll have a different program and see a new kind of product on the field.

It's doesn't happen often but like dominoes, once the first one goes (big recruit) others are likely to follow. It's going to happen.

UNLV is a great destination in terms of the city and professional athletic development. LVRJ's recent article about the professional trainers (http://m.reviewjournal.com/sports/las-vegas-trainer-gaines-attracts-biggest-stars-sports), NBA Summer success, potential NHL team, USA Basketball, conference tournements, BYU-Arizona football game, all are showing Vegas as a sleeping giant in regard to pro sports. Combined with UNLV's new emphasis on football and new facilities in the works, the program is going to progress.

I think the linchpin to all of this is a new stadium. If this happens, UNLV football will succeed and a very quick way.

Las Vegas has had high level "training" for quite some time now. There was a reason that UNLV almost got Tiger Woods to play here instead of at Stanford. Also, many entertainers come here for their treatments and training as well. I've known of it for many years but that could be due to being in the field.

(As a side note - I'm not just talking about the guy who treats Tiger. I'm talking about several who have established themselves in treating high-profile individuals. There's more than just one.)

I know that deviated from the initial topic but the "training" is very important to these recruits and does get involved in the recruiting process by coaches of various programs. I'm sure it sounds crazy to bring a recruit to a facility not called "UNLV" but it's happened in the past and will continue to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT