ADVERTISEMENT

An unpopular opinion, but the honest truth

rebelx

qwerty
May 29, 2001
The deep recesses of my mind
twitter.com
Whenever a team of black players goes up against a team of mostly white players, refs seems to allow the white team to play more physical than the black team.

I'm not even sure it's a racist thing, to be honest, because black refs are just as bad as white refs when it comes to this. Part of it is that there's an unwritten code amongst basketball refs to even out calls (part of it is self serving, and they do it so they're not to blame for an outcome....or at least on paper you can't point to a disparity of FTs shot, or fouls called).

I saw a lot of this last night.... We got a lot of legitimate calls early on last night, and then like a switch turned on, the calls began on UNI's side and nothing on our side.

That UNI team, despite somebody on here saying they were finesse, was a VERY physical team.... that were bumping, scratching, grabbing, holding, etc.... all night long against our guys.... similar to the way Utah played, but much worse. Off the ball there were fouls all over the place (the Smith flagrant was a really bad foul by the UNI player....Smith needs to react differently and draw attention to the refs that he's being fouled instead of shoving the guy to the ground... its a difference between college/pro ball and playground.... that was a playground reaction.).

Anyway, that's why i'm an absolute advocate of women refs. Sure, there's been a few bad ones out there, but IMO women are less subject to being affected by bias, and more often than not follow the letter of the law (which could be frustrating too) than a personal agenda. I don't know... maybe I've proven to be racist and sexist in one post.... but something has to change in basketball. It's becoming unwatchable at times because of the guys that should be invisible, but instead insert themselves into damn near every game, as much as possible.

Reactions: NSU67 and 1Tripoda
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News