ADVERTISEMENT

Keylan Boone is expected to enter the transfer portal

It was noticeable in some of the games near the end of the season and in the final NIT game that there was an issue.
Idk... I guess I can see how A- getting blown out in your final game would make you feel/seem like a bad egg. Him and his brother were playing together for the last time in games that didn't matter that really only benefitted them to stand out on tape for future professional potentials.
B- I don't discount there was a potential for chemistry issues when you have 2 brothers together on a team that may not be open to "bonding" with the rest..especially for 1 year and on a team that wasn't going to be as good as sold. That said, the entire team for a while has suffered from chemistry issues, that's what happens when you replace 8-10 guys a year and aren't truly competiting for anything. I don't put it all on 1 player or 2 players..
I'd much rather retain a 12/7 player with upside/size and experience in the conference than add more players that have question marks around them...

I just don’t think he’s a guy who puts you over the hump in making the NCAA tournament. I think he has value. Anybody that can shoot at a decent rate at that height has value because they’re a potential perimeter problem. But though he was capable, he was inconsistent. And a bit temperamental. Just not a game changer or a reliable body, imo. For instance, I’d much rather have a Romel Beck or Gerald Paddio .., similar sizes but more consistent from three and they were pretty much one trick ponies as Keylan. And those guys were actually integral parts of their teams because they were more consistent.

I’d rather have him than not have him, so it’s not a good riddance type of stance from me. But it certainly doesn’t crush my season hopes for next season just as him remaining wouldn’t make me think we are going to be dancing because of his presence.
Nobody on the team right now is good enough to put us over the hump to make the NCAA’s including Dedan. We would need 3 more Dedans to even sniff the possibility of not needing 3 or 4 come mid march to get there. I would gladly take Keyan back, he can create a shot when needed, helps stretch the floor a bit and helped defensively.

...That said, the entire team for a while has suffered from chemistry issues, that's what happens when you replace 8-10 guys a year...
That we better gets use to. With the new game and constant transfers I expect to see basically a new team each year

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Doubt CKK would go public about trying to get him back if he was an issue in the locker room..
This topic wouldnt even be a conversation if Keylan didnt cause issues..

Kruger was asked about Keylan and he answered, as he should. Now is Keylan a cancer? Definitely not. But just because you didnt think/hear that he was that big of a head case, doesnt mean he wasn't. We are telling you he was. Thats not an opinion.

Is he a good player? Yes, most definitely. Do we want him back? Of course, with the hope that the issues between him and another player are resolved. We wouldn't truly know until the season starts and things get bad. If he returns, does it make Bedford feel and play some type of way? We can assume that Bedford came in with the mindset of being able to take a lot of shots. He isnt a direct replacement of Keylan, but he came in with the premise that he would be a main scorer.

If we get Keylan back, I'm seeing he, DTJ, Bedford, and Rob as 4 of our starters. Who am I missing as a second PF or Center worthy of being a starter. Don't give me Cherry yet since I've only seen crap highlights. The skinny Center freshman? Jaden Henley as a 3rd SG/SF and let Whaley play down low?

I'm not seeing Hill as a starter. Definitely not for Cottrell. Barnabee was a RS so that doesn't instill hope.

This topic wouldnt even be a conversation if Keylan didnt cause issues..

Kruger was asked about Keylan and he answered, as he should. Now is Keylan a cancer? Definitely not. But just because you didnt think/hear that he was that big of a head case, doesnt mean he wasn't. We are telling you he was. Thats not an opinion.

Is he a good player? Yes, most definitely. Do we want him back? Of course, with the hope that the issues between him and another player are resolved. We wouldn't truly know until the season starts and things get bad. If he returns, does it make Bedford feel and play some type of way? We can assume that Bedford came in with the mindset of being able to take a lot of shots. He isnt a direct replacement of Keylan, but he came in with the premise that he would be a main scorer.
I’m saying since CKK went public, to the local news, the “we are telling you” really isn’t convincing? Coach isn’t voicing approval for a guy to the news if he’s not going to be an asset..

Also, him & Bedford have nothing to do with each other.. Are two totally different players, can co-exist in the starting lineup.. Should only enhance Bedford’s mindset/ability, not feeling the pressure of taking on lead scorer/shooter alone but can still get his shots off.. Boone ain’t a savior, but he can help & would go a long way..

I’m saying since CKK went public, to the local news, the “we are telling you” really isn’t convincing? Coach isn’t voicing approval for a guy to the news if he’s not going to be an asset..

Also, him & Bedford have nothing to do with each other.. Are two totally different players, can co-exist in the starting lineup.. Should only enhance Bedford’s mindset/ability, not feeling the pressure of taking on lead scorer/shooter alone but can still get his shots off.. Boone ain’t a savior, but he can help & would go a long way..
We're not trying to convince; its more of letting you know that we have heard from guys in the locker room. If someone from that same locker room told you that Keylan never caused any issues, then that shows how divided the team really is.

Agree that Keylan can help the team for sure. Not saying that he wouldnt have. Would Kruger have recruited Bedford if he knew Keylan was coming back? Highly doubt it. Different players, sure. But not as different as may seem. Both would be "number 1 options" for the team if the other wasnt there. With the issues last season, we are not sure if Keylan would want to be in the same position again. Personally, would want him back though.

Last edited:
If theres one school that should be able to find a loophole to make him eligible, its us.
I thought they already deemed him eligible and that's why he originally entered portal...
If he does come back, I'm all of a sudden a little more intrigued with the rotation because there's a ton of decent shooting all of a sudden with a PG that can distribute

"Of course, with the hope that the issues between him and another player are resolved."....
I'm guessing that was between him and Rob? Personally a little competitive edge between 2 players trying to be alphas around DTJ should be easily resolved... I imagine not having his brother around will be helpful and it's on a coach to manage personalities and conflict.

We're not trying to convince; its more of letting you know that we have heard from guys in the locker room. If someone from that same locker room told you that Keylan never caused any issues, then that shows how divided the team really is.

Agree that Keylan can help the team for sure. Not saying that he wouldnt have. Would Kruger have recruited Bedford if he knew Keylan was coming back? Highly doubt it. Different players, sure. But not as different as may seem. Both would be "number 1 options" for the team if the other wasnt there. With the issues last season, we are not sure if Keylan would want to be in the same position again. Personally, would want him back though.
It’s yet to be seen.. But if you think Bedford is all this team needs as a scorer, I’m worried.. If CKK knew he could bring KEY back, I would still do everything in my power to pair him/Bedford together.. We clearly don’t think alike, if you think the roster is great as is, KEY don’t add to it? I digress..

It’s yet to be seen.. But if you think Bedford is all this team needs as a scorer, I’m worried.. If CKK knew he could bring KEY back, I would still do everything in my power to pair him/Bedford together.. We clearly don’t think alike, if you think the roster is great as is, KEY don’t add to it? I digress..
One thing about UNLV fans is they like to change words and push narratives when it doesnt align with theirs. We never said Keylan doesnt add to the team. You said Keylan would "enhance Bedford’s mindset/ability, not feeling the pressure of taking on lead scorer/shooter alone but can still get his shots off.." We said we agreed with that and we never said Keylan doesnt add to the current roster.

We also said "Is he a good player? Yes, most definitely. Do we want him back? Of course, with the hope that the issues between him and another player are resolved." and "Personally, would want him back though."

Does Bedford come to UNLV if he knew Keylan still had eligibility? Highly doubt it. Would Kruger have recruited Bedford if he knew Keylan still had eligiblity? Highly doubt it. Any other narrative that you're trying to pin on us, like inferring that we think the roster is great as is and Keylan doesnt add to it, is false. Never said that in this thread or any other thread. The gripe that some people have with Keylan is that he was a big reason as to why the chemistry was off last season.

"Of course, with the hope that the issues between him and another player are resolved."....
I'm guessing that was between him and Rob? Personally a little competitive edge between 2 players trying to be alphas around DTJ should be easily resolved... I imagine not having his brother around will be helpful and it's on a coach to manage personalities and conflict.
Two relatives playing with each other. What can possibly go wrong?

Well at least we will get to see Lebron play with his son…

You have to take Keylan back if he wants to come back. He is 6’8”, long and rebounded very well from the wing at 6.8 rpg and averaged 12.7 ppg. I didn’t see much of a problem with Keylan on the floor other trying to light a fire under Kalib at times.

You have to take Keylan back if he wants to come back. He is 6’8”, long and rebounded very well from the wing at 6.8 rpg and averaged 12.7 ppg. I didn’t see much of a problem with Keylan on the floor other trying to light a fire under Kalib at times.
He’s not gonna save this shit show.

One thing about UNLV fans is they like to change words and push narratives when it doesnt align with theirs. We never said Keylan doesnt add to the team. You said Keylan would "enhance Bedford’s mindset/ability, not feeling the pressure of taking on lead scorer/shooter alone but can still get his shots off.." We said we agreed with that and we never said Keylan doesnt add to the current roster.

We also said "Is he a good player? Yes, most definitely. Do we want him back? Of course, with the hope that the issues between him and another player are resolved." and "Personally, would want him back though."

Does Bedford come to UNLV if he knew Keylan still had eligibility? Highly doubt it. Would Kruger have recruited Bedford if he knew Keylan still had eligiblity? Highly doubt it. Any other narrative that you're trying to pin on us, like inferring that we think the roster is great as is and Keylan doesnt add to it, is false. Never said that in this thread or any other thread. The gripe that some people have with Keylan is that he was a big reason as to why the chemistry was off last season.
I think most of us do believe he is a decent/good player, the problem that I watched is that he didn't always come prepared to play, which could be said of the entire team. An example is one week they easily beat a top 10 Creighton, and not long after they got destroyed by Air Force. This may be a problem with the coaching, players, or a combination of both, but it has a lot to do with why so many fans or at least those who post on this site are frustrated with decades of mostly coming up short. There is no doubt that when they played up to their potential, they could play with anyone, but it never seemed that they could stay up to their potential for more than a few games before having a head shaking game!

He’s not gonna save this shit show.
Scrub, I really don’t understand all the negativity. DJ is one of the top pure PG’s in the country that can score. KK didn’t lose the team and the call in the USU was terrible! But for that UNLV winds up tied for 1st in the MWC. The guard play will be much better and college hoops is a guards game.

No changed narratives, words have stayed the same.. Again, why does CKK go public about trying to get Keylan back? None of what you mentioned is an issue.. If it were, we wouldn’t be discussing it..

He’s talked/been transparent with Bedford, I assume.. No loyalties have been crossed..

No changed narratives, words have stayed the same.. Again, why does CKK go public about trying to get Keylan back? None of what you mentioned is an issue.. If it were, we wouldn’t be discussing it..

He’s talked/been transparent with Bedford, I assume.. No loyalties have been crossed..
Rarely has a college coach gone on record and slammed a player. Kruger talked with a reporter after the reporter asked him about the new developments of Keylan. Why would he talk down on a player that he has a chance of retaining? Keylan is a good player and did a lot of good things for the team despite the chemistry issues. Those arent mutually exclusive. A player can be good in some ways and bad in other ways. Until you can tell me that you know someone in the locker room that told you that there was no issue with Boone in the locker room last year, none of these points matter because we have been told that there were issues involving him in the locker room. We are having this discussion on this forum because his attitude was an issue. If it wasnt, none of this would be brought up. Look at the comments on this board; its evident that Keylan played a role in the team chemistry being off. It wasnt hard to notice. Three other people brought it up just on this thread and just because you don't agree doesnt mean it didnt exist.

Rarely has a college coach gone on record and slammed a player. Kruger talked with a reporter after the reporter asked him about the new developments of Keylan. Why would he talk down on a player that he has a chance of retaining? Keylan is a good player and did a lot of good things for the team despite the chemistry issues. Those arent mutually exclusive. A player can be good in some ways and bad in other ways. Until you can tell me that you know someone in the locker room that told you that there was no issue with Boone in the locker room last year, none of these points matter because we have been told that there were issues involving him in the locker room. We are having this discussion on this forum because his attitude was an issue. If it wasnt, none of this would be brought up. Look at the comments on this board; it’s evident that Keylan played a role in the team chemistry being off. It wasnt hard to notice. Three other people brought it up just on this thread and just because you don't agree doesnt mean it didnt exist.
Sir, yes sir..

If theres one school that should be able to find a loophole to make him eligible, its us.
“Should” is the key word here. That would require a competent compliance department, which I doubt we have its UNLV, we screw everything up.

Sometimes I think that years of basketball disappointment has caused a degree of brain damage on these forums. Keylan was probably the second best player on the team last year and added defensive flexibility (could guard 2-5 and had enough length to make your zone looks really frustrating on the wing) and rebounding while being able to get his own shot at all three levels. He's not perfect--he's got some occasional motor issues and you didn't have to watch every game to know that he's got a selfish streak and can annoy some of his teammates (especially Rob), but he was also a closer and not timid. The only way you don't move heaven and earth to take him back is if he can't coexist with your returning nucleus.

If we signed a Keylan Boone clone in the portal, everyone would be having a party. He'd instantly AGAIN be one of your top 3 players, just like he was last year--or did we forget how good we looked before we added him to the mix?

I think as the staff you just say, "Okay, we want you back but you have to buy in 100% to the team, if you don't think you can do that let us help you find a spot for you to land.' You don't burn bridges or talk bad about a player publicly. Pitino can get away with that at this point, but Kevin certainly can't. Kevin also knows his seat isn't going to stay uncomfortably warm if he underperforms this next season--which is why you don't/can't say 'no' to a guy who was a 3rd team all-MWC and already proved he can play in this league.

After reading some of the comments, I wonder if some of the posters were watching the same games I was watching. Because, IMO the biggest hole in the line up last year was at the 4 and Whaley gets a pass because of a few high-light dunks. But Whaley rebounding from the 4 was woefully inadequate. A review of the box scores from the last 5 games where he was logging heavy minutes are insightful.

UNLV 75 Wyoming 69. Whaley, 32 min 3 rebounds, UNLV 68 San Jose 50, Whaley, 21 min 3 rebounds, UNLV 62 SDSU 58, Whaley 37 min 0 rebounds, UNLV 65 Reno 75, Whaley 33 min 8 rebounds and UNLV 71 SDSU 74 OT, Whaley, 37 min 4 rebounds.

Keylan's productivity on the boards from the wing doubles that of Whaley at the 4. KK needs to figure out how to get more productivity at the 4 and if that includes playing Keylan as a stretch 4 so be it. Clearly, the major flaw in last years team was lack of rebounding. Because last year was the worst rebounding UNLV team that I can remember.

After reading some of the comments, I wonder if some of the posters were watching the same games I was watching. Because, IMO the biggest hole in the line up last year was at the 4 and Whaley gets a pass because of a few high-light dunks. But Whaley rebounding from the 4 was woefully inadequate. A review of the box scores from the last 5 games where he was logging heavy minutes are insightful.

UNLV 75 Wyoming 69. Whaley, 32 min 3 rebounds, UNLV 68 San Jose 50, Whaley, 21 min 3 rebounds, UNLV 62 SDSU 58, Whaley 37 min 0 rebounds, UNLV 65 Reno 75, Whaley 33 min 8 rebounds and UNLV 71 SDSU 74 OT, Whaley, 37 min 4 rebounds.

Keylan's productivity on the boards from the wing doubles that of Whaley at the 4. KK needs to figure out how to get more productivity at the 4 and if that includes playing Keylan as a stretch 4 so be it. Clearly, the major flaw in last years team was lack of rebounding. Because last year was the worst rebounding UNLV team that I can remember.
Whaley often wasnt playing at the 4. When Kalib got into foul trouble, Whaley often played the 5 because Cottrell couldnt cut it there. So yes, we do need more from the 4, but I dont think comparing apples to apples is fair. I think where people give Rob a pass is the appearance of attitude. However, werent there a lot of people that thought Rob was a potential transfer candidate because he wasnt getting his way at times or that he was upset at getting a quick hook by Kruger at times?
Honestly, I think attitude issues when guys are competitive each time they go out is over blown. When guys are competing and producing they want more and that often conflicts with others who may also be feeling the same... Our team was basically Rob, Keylan, and DTJ producing and hoping someone else could get a bucket here or there. So of course at times they might not agree with each other and they might voice displeasure at guys who are out of position or affected their ability to win, and especially from the "Seniors" who come in with that built in role. I dont know, I saw production from both and would rather have both than not. More than anything, Id prefer to have the depth that pushes each other for playing time so that KK isnt trying to force a guy like Keylan to play against bigger 4s or Whaley against bigger 5s...

On paper rebounding has been addressed in this class. Bedford, Henley, Evan’s, N’daiye, Bear Cherry.

Last years team I felt was extremely soft, not the case this with the additions imo. Dispatched Nowell and Jackie, who didn’t really contribute what they were counted on to do.

On paper rebounding has been addressed in this class. Bedford, Henley, Evan’s, N’daiye, Bear Cherry.

Last years team I felt was extremely soft, not the case this with the additions imo. Dispatched Nowell and Jackie, who didn’t really contribute what they were counted on to do.
I can't disagree. But I am very curious about Jacob Barnnabie who is now 6'9" and 230lbs and plays the 4 and has a motor. He played his AAU ball for the Oakland Soldiers (i like their toughness) and here's video going into his junior year. He was at Kanye West's Dondra Academy which was nationally ranked his senior year before it closed resulting in Jacob losing his senior year of hoops.

To me Keylan would almost 100% start if he returned. That in itself, is very telling.

I also think it is very telling that Kruger said they were trying to retain him. If he officially entered the portal as reported, he did not have to say that. He could still very nice about it and not say he is trying to retain him if he truly wanted to move on from him.

That being said, I am not a fan of over recruiting. It can lead to more chemistry problems, and it can force promising young players out that would otherwise stay. And I like as much carryover as possible.

The 3-4 is arguably our deepest position. Whaley, Hill, perhaps Barnarbie, Evans, Henley, Plus there are the guards that can spill down for 3 guard line ups.

I do think there could be some chemistry issues as well. Keylan had the worst shot selection on the team, and I think we need to have a more cohesive offense for us to take the next step. There could be a problem there, but not necessarily. Kevin wanting him back may be a sign that he doesn't think there will be an issue there.

Long story short, Keylan increases our talent, and our potential next season. I can see both sides of this. I trust Kruger's opinion on this more than anyone else, but I can see us being potentially better with him and without him, if that make sense.

Last edited:
To me Keylan would almost 100% start if he returned. That in itself, is very telling.

I also think it is very telling that Kruger said they were trying to retain him. If he officially entered the portal as reported, he did not have to say that. He could still very nice about it if he truly wanted to move on from him.

That being said, I am not a fan of over recruiting. It can lead to more chemistry problems, and it can force promising young players out that would otherwise stay. And I like as much carryover as possible.

The 3-4 is arguably our deepest position. Whaley, Hill, perhaps Barnarbie, Evans, Henley, Plus there are the guards that can spill down for 3 guard line ups.

I do think there could be some chemistry issues as well. Keylan had the worst shot selection on the team, and I think we need to have a more cohesive offense for us to take the next step. There could be a problem there, but not necessarily. Kevin wanting him back may be a sign that he doesn't think there will be an issue there.

Long story short, Keylan increases our talent, and our potential next season. I can see both sides of this. I trust Kruger's opinion on this more than anyone else, but I can us being potentially better with him and without him, if that make sense.
One other obvious point. UNLV over the last few years has suffered significantly from the injury bug. Depth helps in this regard.

Id rather have a lot of flexibility and depth than not. Having a bunch of guys competing for the same minutes ensures your getting good play. It keeps players hungry and competitive. It protects against injury, and it helps late in games where foul trouble or fatigue starts to set in. Hopefully outside DTJ, we dont need a bunch of guys pulling 30+ minutes a game.

I don't think looking at rebounding stats tell the whole story. The wings were always going to rebound more than the bigs based off how we played last season. Our bigs would converge against any penetration, and at our worst our 2 bigs were completely out of position, and at our best they would body up and box out late, allowing the wings to clean up the boards.

I don't think Whaley is a good rebounder, but I do think he is pretty good at boxing others out.

I think a different defense and offense for that matter would change our rebounding numbers more than just "better rebounders"

I don't think looking at rebounding stats tell the whole story. The wings were always going to rebound more than the bigs based off how we played last season. Our bigs would converge against any penetration, and at our worst our 2 bigs were completely out of position, and at our best they would body up and box out late, allowing the wings to clean up the boards.

I don't think Whaley is a good rebounder, but I do think he is pretty good at boxing others out.

I think a different defense and offense for that matter would change our rebounding numbers more than just "better rebounders"
I don’t disagree a whole lot with with what you said but I will say rebounding is a mentality and a will to go for the ball. Some players have it, some don’t.

I thought last years team was incredibly soft, and was the antithesis of what CKK promised in his introductory presser when he took the job.

I can talk about all the bad shots he takes, yada yada, but with him the team was so much better, that's just the facts, him and Rodriquez both rebounded, since bigs were soft as can be when it came to rebounding.
If the staff didnt know he could comeback, then someone deserves to get fired.
Would i take him back, end of the world, no. Wish him luck, cash out when you can, he's not going to NBA, so make the money if he can.

I can talk about all the bad shots he takes, yada yada, but with him the team was so much better, that's just the facts, him and Rodriquez both rebounded, since bigs were soft as can be when it came to rebounding.
If the staff didnt know he could comeback, then someone deserves to get fired.
Would i take him back, end of the world, no. Wish him luck, cash out when you can, he's not going to NBA, so make the money if he can.
I'm not sure when this rule was announced, but it definitely seems like it took everyone by surprise.

As soon as Keylan suited up for his first game this season we all thought that was it for his eligibility, because that is how it worked previously. The staff had to recruit and prepare that he wouldn't be here. As soon as that happened.

The fact that he hit the portal so late is a good indication that they just found out. Should they get fired for some obscure, possibly very late, unprecedented rule change?

I don’t disagree a whole lot with with what you said but I will say rebounding is a mentality and a will to go for the ball. Some players have it, some don’t.

I thought last years team was incredibly soft, and was the antithesis of what CKK promised in his introductory presser when he took the job.
I don't disagree, rebounding is a skill. It takes anticipation, understanding of the angles/percentages. Kevin Love was a beast at this, even in college. I don't think any of our bigs are terribly skilled at that.

But I saw Whaley box the crap out of people and wings come in and secure the rebounding. I think he helps team rebounding more than hurt it. Kalib had length but didn't seem to put that much effort into rebounding. But at least he would eat up a big when it came to positioning.

I do think LuRod was very good at anticipating the rebounds, and Keylan is good at using his length and anticipating from the wing. But he wasn't boxing dudes out and grabbing rebounds in the traditional Charles Barkley way.

Hopefully outside DTJ, we dont need a bunch of guys pulling 30+ minutes a game.
I wish Kevin played with a little deeper bench, but I also saw the overall quality of the bench last year. There were several games where Karl Jones looked like your best bench big. And there was no doubt at the end of the season you would give him minutes over Cottrell or Nowell, who both were used quite a bit as a 4. Your back court bench was Hicks. JJ3, and Webster--and I don't think any of them would have gotten big minutes at any of the other top 5 MWC programs.

Having some extra wing depth that you're confident with can't hurt.

There's some truth to this. Also, in the offensive sets you're asking your 4 and 5 to either post on the low block, post in the high block, or set a screen in this Kevin Kruger scheme. You're basically taken out of position to get good rebounding position for most shots as a direct result of your pre-shot offensive responsibilities.

Also, not all of Keylan's boards were crashing from the wing--he played a lot of 4 and 5 defensively last year--a lot of his rebounds were big boy post rebounds.

I don't disagree, rebounding is a skill. It takes anticipation, understanding of the angles/percentages. Kevin Love was a beast at this, even in college. I don't think any of our bigs are terribly skilled at that.

But I saw Whaley box the crap out of people and wings come in and secure the rebounding. I think he helps team rebounding more than hurt it. Kalib had length but didn't seem to put that much effort into rebounding. But at least he would eat up a big when it came to positioning.

I do think LuRod was very good at anticipating the rebounds, and Keylan is good at using his length and anticipating from the wing. But he wasn't boxing dudes out and grabbing rebounds in the traditional Charles Barkley way.
I thought it was telling that (couev mentioned KJ) Karl Jones came on late in the season and was getting rebounds and easy buckets. Jones was not the most talented guy on the floor but it just shows what a little effort can do.

Too many times I saw guys just standing around waiting for something to happen. Coach has to be on top of these guys in practice etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT